1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Jdub6

Jdub6 Well-Known Member

I'm 6' @ 165 and Gustin's lg. shirts fit perfect for me (i.e., 16" collar-just right with finger or two, nice in the chest-just snug enough, back length on the shorter end but it works for tucked un tucked for me and perfect arm length-I usually wear 34-35" arm length shirts-really got lucky-they do fit really nice). I got the lg. chore coat-waxed charcoal and it fits beautiful, not too big in chest, perfect arm length, etc. Can't say how much I like it.

2. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

I have been wearing mine for six months before washing them. With the Cone Pima Fire, I saw minimal shrinkage on the inseam (<.5"). I hem mine right away, before even stretching out the waist sometimes. I would the shrinkage is going to vary though, based on the denim.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried tellason? And can compare to gustin fit?

4. IrateCustomer

I just wanted to give my quick thoughts on the Red Selvedge Chambray shirt fit. This was not the slim fit, just the standard fit. As has been mentioned prior, it fits very similar to the J Crew slim cuts shirts, with the minor exception of higher armholes. What I found surprising was the softness of the fabric, and the substantial nature of it. It wasn't as slubby as I thought it would be, which is fine for me. It's a bit thicker as well and will be a great fall shirt for sure. Yes the scoops are higher than other brands, but it doesn't bother me since I wear these types of shirts untucked anyway (haters can pound sand). As I'm not entirely construction savvy, I cannot speak to the minor details, so I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable. But I like the buttons (old style, not the newer thicker variety), and there are a lot of selvedge lines on the interior of the shirt.

Overall, I'm very happy with the initial experience, and I'm looking forward to getting it broken in and even softer with wear.

5. keithp3521

keithp3521 Well-Known Member

I think I've fallen out of love with Gustin. Here's why:

First, I've never been able to fit the shirts. I'm a big guy. I wear XXL. Gustin's shirts look awesome in style and design until you get to the top. The XXL has a bizarrely small collar size (17 inches). Every other major brand pairs a 17-17.5 inch collar with an XL shirt and puts an 18-18.5 inch collar on an XXL. But Gustin shirts have a very weird taper at the top.

Second, the belts are not the quality I was hoping for. They're just thin and ... not awesome. I just got a belt from Corter Leather and it blows my Gustin belts away for thickness, color and overall quality. I'll be replacing all my belts with Corter.

Third, and most important, the jeans also follow the shirts' bizarre taper-at-the-top design. I love the roomy legs and quality of the denim; love the straight line across the back pockets and the small details like buttons and leather patch are the best I've ever seen. But, again, the jeans are weirdly too small at the top. I have to suck it in to button the top button and - here's the part I can't live with - the pockets are so small and placed so far to the side that they're borderline dysfunctional. I assume the designer(s) did that because it makes for a more flattering profile, but the result is an unusable feature. It's very difficult to put my hands in my front pockets while standing and God help me if I need to get something out of my pocket while I'm driving.

Again, I really love 90% of Gustin's jeans, but the pockets are just too much. I actually need to be able to put my hands in my pockets once in a while. The best blue jeans design, hands down, is Levi's 501. But Levi's doesn't make jeans in the U.S. anymore and doesn't offer the same kind of high-quality denim Gustin does (as far as I've found).

So I don't know what brand I'll try next, but I'm very sad to say that I don't think I'll buy more Gustin jeans unless they redesign the pockets for function rather than appearance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Try Unbranded. They are around similar price point to Gustin.

1 person likes this.
  7. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

Unbranded, Combatent Gentlemen & Uniqlo all have affordable selvedge denim

1 person likes this.
  8. keithp3521

Awesome, thanks, gaseousclay and barrelntrigger.

9. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with Unbranded or Combatent Gentlemen, but I do own 3 pairs of the regular fit selvedge jeans from Uniqlo. I really like them because they only cost me $39.90 a pair (on sale) and they fit me perfectly. they're not too baggy and not too slim, but that's just my preference for jeans. the only downside with Uniqlo selvedge is that they don't have all the bells and whistles you commonly see with other selvedge brands, such as a button fly or back leather patch.

Combatent Gentlemen charges $70 for their selvedge and they're US made. Can't comment on fit or quality but I do know they use a 10oz denim compared to the heavier denims used by everyone else. But for $70 it seems worth a try. Unbranded is the only company I know of that will do free hemming with your purchase but their jeans are made in Macau. I can't comment on fit or quality.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  10. keithp3521

My primary issue is not the price, but some of the design details. Poorly placed front pockets, for one. But, yeah, looking at $200-300 for comparable, independent, American made jeans.

That's part of the reason I'm so dejected about realizing that Gustin isn't for me: I believe their jeans are just as good as the more expensive brands but for a fraction of the cost.

11. cc3peat

cc3peat Well-Known Member

I would consider it appropriate to move this conversation to PM's or another thread (I'm sure there's a denim thread somewhere), given that this is the official Gustin thread.

Speaking of Gustin, I backed my first pair (due November) and am looking to buy a used pair (or new) in the meantime. Anybody selling a 31 Straight?

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Bamp

13. DsRyan23

DsRyan23 Well-Known Member

I am selling a pair of the Gustin Black 2.1 in 30 Straight, i tried them on and stretched the waist a tad so the waist is 31", but they are brand new, never worn only tried on

rest matches the fit guide

just want what I paid for them if you are interested

dsryan23@gmail.com

14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Unbranded and the quality is not all that great. After a few months of wear the seam stitching have been loosened.

Tellason is a go if you can get them on sale.

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Ask me in a few weeks... I have three pairs of Tellasons (34 slim and 34 straight). I'm waiting on the 23oz jeans by Gustin.

I've handled both brands and can honestly say the quality is very high on both.

16. IrateCustomer

[​IMG]

Red selvedge chambray and Cone Pima Fires. Just need Gustin kicks and I'll be set! Not seen, Heavyweight belt.

1 person likes this.
  17. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Well-Known Member

Some early signs of nice fading on the pocket of those Fires my friend
    How are you liking the HW belt? What's your height/weight? That belt has been calling to me but I'm thinking 1.75" is just too wide for me at 5'9" and 160lbs

18. IrateCustomer

I love the heavyweight! Insanely sturdy belt. I'm 5'10" at 165.

19. EPrest90

EPrest90 Well-Known Member

I'm 5'11 150, and I really like the heavyweight belt, wish it was a tad darker though

20. univibe88

univibe88 Well-Known Member

It will darken with time