1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by joshgustin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JasonYeckel

JasonYeckel Well-Known Member

I think you mixed the lore up a bit. The beast are the 26oz, i am thinking the 23oz were called the sac-squashers? Pictures of the keychain or it happens without them.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Lol I thought it was the little beast and The Beast.

[​IMG]

3. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

There is a strong market for new Gustins that people have fit problems with. You can usually get what you paid for them. People are interested because they can get them quickly without the wait. So, if they don't fit, just sell them on the Gustin forums or on the bay. Also, if they don't fit, you must acquit (oh wait, wrong thread).

4. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

wrong century...

5. juannie

juannie New Member

Hello, long time lurker here. I'm looking to get the chore coat but I'm not sure if I should get XS or S. I'm 5'9 and 138lb with a 35 inch chest. For other brands I wear EU46, and more rarely 44, but never 48. Thanks in advance!

6. topos

topos Well-Known Member

i'd recommend emailing them to ask about the shoulder measurements and compare that and the other measurements to a well-fitting jacket. either way the XS is going to be pretty tight with only a 2.5" difference between your chest and the coat's.

7. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

Josh,

Since people use this thread to express wishes, I'll add mine: A coat with more useful pockets than the chore coat, perhaps with bellows but at the very least a button and flap. Maybe something more like a field jacket or a Filson tin cruiser. I've been looking for gaments for traveling and end up looking at stuff Orvis or Bean sells and thinking, I'd like something like that but USA-made and perhaps with a bit more 'hip.

Here's an Orvis coat, which is clearly modeled after US Army field jackets, including the sateen finish:

[​IMG]

I think something like that in any of interesting fabrics you've been offering for the chore coat would be smashing. I could do without sateen and certainly without synthetic fabrics (not to mention the Chinese provenance).

DCOH

1 person likes this.
  8. goldenbear

goldenbear Well-Known Member

When will the slim fit button downs come out?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. clew

clew Active Member

^^field jackets would be dope

1 person likes this.
  10. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

Seconded...ededed.

11. gentfarmer

gentfarmer Well-Known Member

+1000

12. DC Office Hack

Re: Field jackets,

If it were up to me, I'd start with the M1943 (which is sharper than the M1965, IMHO). At The Front makes a replica (see below), complete with a sateen finish. I wouldn't look to Gustin for a replica but rather an interpretation, provided that utility is not sacrificed. Meaning, let it be more relaxed fitting than, say, the chore coat. Imagine the M1943 in that green army canvas Gustin uses, the waxed dark oak, or perhaps a cool herring bone....

[​IMG]

13. AntiHero84

I'd have to disagree. I think that version of the field jacket might be a bit too niche. I know M65s are super popular, but I've always been partial to the M51. The velcro closures on the M65 cuffs never sat right with me. Plus I imagine the zipped hood might be difficult to replicate. The M51 hits all the notes without seeming too costume-y.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. DC Office Hack

I can't tell if the collar/lapels of the M51 are different from the M43. That's what appeals to me. I also prefer buttons over snaps...

The danger of being costume-y is real, and it's what keeps me from buying a replica or even an authentic vintage piece. The point is not to do a replica. But even doing a replica but with a different, more civilian fabric would make a big difference. Any of the fabrics Gustin's used on the chore coats would be great.

15. AntiHero84

The 45 almost looks like it has a pea coat-y type feel to the lapel, but maybe that's how it appears to me.

I think you bring up an excellent point about something 'inspired' rather than a direct replica. I have a M65 replica and it's always seemed a bit off and I was never sure why. I'm sure it would be a world of difference it was slimmed down with one of the workshirt fabrics. Even some of the chore coat fabrics would be awesome.

16. ojaw

ojaw Well-Known Member

Something modelled on 80s German army moleskin shirts would be cool.

2 people like this.
  17. lbrig

lbrig Well-Known Member

An updated '30s Hungarian heavy twill sheep herder jacket?

18. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Well-Known Member

Iv been dying for some indigo dyed moleskin...similar to the french workwear jackets.

Visvim is using moleskin really well but pre distressed which i dont want

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. ojaw

ojaw Well-Known Member

If yours is already worn out it was most definitely an offshore fake anyway.

20. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Anyone receive their shipment of True Blue Silks? The denim is amazing to the touch and the color is breathtaking, but on the website, it says that they would be using a low-contrast tan thread, but my pair came with the orange/gold color. I was wondering if I was the only one? I much rather prefer the tan and must say I'm not a huge fan of the bright orange on these already bright-colored jeans.