1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Guns are barbaric.
    [​IMG] I look nothing like this man.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Guns are barbaric.
    The violence in them is no more than the violence we bring to them. I am a gentle man. ~ Huntsman

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

There are special bullets with off-set center. They are very bouncy and never come out where you expect them.

FWIW, I have never heard of "special bullets with off-set center." I don't claim omniscience about firearms matters, but that's a new one on me. How do they work? How would you get any accuracy from such a thing?

BTW, when I counseled the OP to start out with a .22, I was not advocating it as a self-defense weapon. It was mainly a learning tool. (And, they're always a lot of fun--and cheap--to shoot.)

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Speaking of guns. Do any of you gun collectors/aficionados have high quality images of guns from all eras? Either your own, or if you can link me to a website, it would be much appreciated. I need pics for my next painting. Thanks.
    PM me a postal address, and I'll send you a disc I made a couple of years ago. It's got about 700 photos/jpgs, in no particular order. Mostly antique stuff, including blank arms, armour, and some militaria (helmets, uniforms, medals, etc.) They were mostly meant for arms collectors, so there are some odd details of markings/numbers and the like there. There's also sites like: http://armchairgunshow.com/

5. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

Guns are barbaric.

So, frequently, are people.

And fucking chimps. I just watched the Jungles Planet Earth episode and that chimpanzee battle gave me the fucking chills. Noble savages my ass Rousseau.

6. j

j Well-Known Member

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

whodini this guy shot a bunch of different guns to see their terminal effects. A 22 simply doesn't have much power behind it, its a 40 grain solid lead slug traveling at maybe 1100fps (subsonic) at the muzzle. A 9mm will be traveling at about 1300 fps (slightly above supersonic) and will weight at 124 gr to 148 gr. So the power difference is pretty big.

What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

I can tell you that a 230 grain JHP .45 will not go through a hard drive at point-blank range though. It makes a really big dent and bounces off somewhere. Since I don't know where it ended up or how fast it bounced off, I will not be re-testing that idea. Also, steel cased computers are resistant to birdshot but not buckshot or slugs, and have nothing on .308.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

What a great site. I'll have to go through all of that later. I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't shoot the locks (see the lock shooting page) at the shackle as well to see how they'd react.

I can tell you that a 230 grain JHP .45 will not go through a hard drive at point-blank range though. It makes a really big dent and bounces off somewhere. Since I don't know where it ended up or how fast it bounced off, I will not be re-testing that idea. Also, steel cased computers are resistant to birdshot but not buckshot or slugs, and have nothing on .308.

Lol. Pissed off system admin? What made you shoot it at point-black? Sounds like it was a bad idea.

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

That site really makes me want an AR-15.

9. j

j Well-Known Member

Lol. Pissed off system admin? What made you shoot it at point-black? Sounds like it was a bad idea.
    You remember the great SF crash of '05?

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

You remember the great SF crash of '05?

[​IMG]

11. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

This should convince you otherwise.

For comparison.

I was going to ask why, and then I saw the links. yes, the AR-15 is a great weapon, unless you compare it to the AK family, and then it sucks.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

This should convince you otherwise.

For comparison.

While I agree that AKs don't need too much maintainance, the AR15/Target 20 etc... is probably fine with just simple cleaning if you shoot it w/o a really high workload. I probably have about 2000-2500 total rounds fired in mine and I've cleaned it a few times but haven't had any issues to date.

Then again, if you're firing 1000 rounds per week, maybe it would require more maintanance, but unless you're a serious merc or range junkie, that may not be an issue.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I was going to ask why, and then I saw the links. yes, the AR-15 is a great weapon, unless you compare it to the AK family, and then it sucks.

Maintainance wise, perhaps. I think the M4 is more accurate with less recoil than the AK, especially when not stationary, if such things matter to you, though.

15. globetrotter

Maintainance wise, perhaps. I think the M4 is more accurate with less recoil than the AK, especially when not stationary, if such things matter to you, though.

yes, the M-16 family is probrably more accurate - but what I meant was that my first reaction to his post was that he was wrong, that the AR-15 is a great weapon. but, the AK family is great, too.

the AK is tougher, and is still pretty light. the AR-15 is like a pistol, in terms of weight, is very comfotable to use, has great killing power. its just a little more fragile.

16. globetrotter

and you can carry about twice as much 5.56 ammo as 7.62 ammo, when you count in the weight of the magazines.

17. dapperdude

dapperdude Well-Known Member

I went to the armoury today I was surprised at how easy it is to get a gun. You just need to take a multiple choice test in CA. When I was there I saw some ghetto gangstah looking peeps loading up on shotguns lol.

Reminds me of the time I went to Firing Line in Burbank, and saw two cholos firing a Saturday Night Special in the next row. Gave me a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.

18. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

If you live in a rural area and are looking for a long gun, you could do worse than the FN FAL.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

If you live in a rural area and are looking for a long gun, you could do worse than the FN FAL.

I suppose if you expect your house to be assaulted by a large criminal gang, one of its civilianized counteparts would make a sound choice. Otherwise I'm not sure what it is first-choice for.