1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What's the weight like on this? It's very pretty but I'm a bit intimidated by such a long barrel.

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Awesome Bondesque pics with the suit. I think a 0.22 it is then. I'll see what the armoury has in store. I found some ranges about 20 minutes outside of town.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

It's 7-3/8" inches and heavy -- I'll look it up tomorrow and edit. However, it's stable as a rock, especially if you add the olympic counterweight set, which makes it heavier, but not in a fatiguing fashion. Damps out minor stuff. Can't find a picture with the weights, but they also made it with a 5" and 5.5" barrel. but I think it loses some of the lines like this: http://www.parabellum.pl/s&w mod 41.JPG To contrast with heavy but also ungainly, I'd vote my Dan Wesson 15" heavy barreled .357 Mag silhouette gun. That's almost annoying. OP: Thanks. Good call, by the way. ~ Huntsman

4. ms244

ms244 Well-Known Member

Huntsman, is that your smallbore gun? If so what kind is it, it looks almost like the rare and unseen Swiss Tanner.

If you have some cash for a first gun you can get a 22 conversion kit for a number of guns ( Colt 1911, CZ and beretta come to mind). By changing the slide, barrel, and magazine you can shoot a cheap ($10 for 500) 22 ammo.

I would like to submit this to the gun appreciation thread:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Respectfully stolen from:
    http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

5. whodini

6. s2000FTW

s2000FTW Active Member

You didn't mention the purpose of the gun, but unless this is going to be only used for target practice at a range, I highly suggest you stay away from a .22, which is far from a self defense round.

You definitely don't want .22 in a life or death situation. You might have to shoot an attacker multiple times to take them down, which is not good if they also have a gun. Don't worry about being able to deal with recoil of higher calibers. Unless you are a little girl, 9mm or .40 are easy to shoot, especially if you do a little range practice like all gun owners should.

I'd recommend a Springfield Armory XD9, which is considered the glock alternative. Both an XD and the glocks are well know for their reliability. You don't have to worry about cleaning and oiling them all the time and the parts don't wear down and break easily. I prefer the XD though because of the grip safety similar to 1911s and it's chambered indicator. Plus I think they look cool in 2-tone.

7. whodini

I heard a rumor that mob guys like using .22's. Nearly silent with a silencer and when you shoot the thorax/abdomen the bullet doesn't go through like a .38/.45 but ricochets around like PacMan. Theory was that you could do more damage but with less stopping power.

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Only one I own: [​IMG] Cased Webley & Scott Model 700, 1952. Boxlock with ejectors and double triggers. "Monte Carlo" walnut stock with rounded pistol grip and "beavertail" forend.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that mob guys like using .22's. Nearly silent with a silencer and when you shoot the thorax/abdomen the bullet doesn't go through like a .38/.45 but ricochets around like PacMan. Theory was that you could do more damage but with less stopping power.
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but none of this is true. Bullets do not bounce. Take a look at some terminal ballistics studies. A .22LR weapon is not a self defense weapon. If you get one, use it for range shooting or maybe hunting rabbits.

10. ms244

ms244 Well-Known Member

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

whodini this guy shot a bunch of different guns to see their terminal effects. A 22 simply doesn't have much power behind it, its a 40 grain solid lead slug traveling at maybe 1100fps (subsonic) at the muzzle. A 9mm will be traveling at about 1300 fps (slightly above supersonic) and will weight at 124 gr to 148 gr. So the power difference is pretty big.

11. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but none of this is true. Bullets do not bounce. Take a look at some terminal ballistics studies. A .22LR weapon is not a self defense weapon. If you get one, use it for range shooting or maybe hunting rabbits.

bounce is not the correct term, but effectivly that is what happens. the round will follow the path of least resistance, and will rickochet off bone and hard material, and will create a path that isn't a straight line but cuts every which way. effectivly, you either kill by the shock of the impact, or by draining blood - the more you can create channels though the body, the more you drain blood. this is part of the theory behind the small rounds used in an m-16

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Having an enormously pricey solely as an object of aesthetic contemplation seems like a perversion of the firearm's purpose. Guns were meant to be used--the harder the better, IMO. If I just want something pretty to look at, I'd get a painting or a vase of something. Guns belong out in the field, working for a living!

couldn't agree with you more.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Having an enormously pricey solely as an object of aesthetic contemplation seems like a perversion of the firearm's purpose. Guns were meant to be used--the harder the better, IMO. If I just want something pretty to look at, I'd get a painting or a vase of something. Guns belong out in the field, working for a living!

I don't like killing things...

Jon.

15. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I don't like killing things...

Jon.

What are you, a woman or something?

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

What are you, a woman or something?

I think not. I don't see any glory in taking down a beautiful deer simply for "˜sport'.

Perhaps I'll cry myself to sleep about it...[​IMG]

Jon.

17. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

I think not. I don't see any glory in taking down a beautiful deer simply for "˜sport'.

Do you eat meat?

It may not be glorious, and if you don't like hunting, fine, but I think that everyone who eats meat should kill at least one animal and eat it at some point, just so you appreciate what's behind all those tasty meals.

18. whodini

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

whodini this guy shot a bunch of different guns to see their terminal effects. A 22 simply doesn't have much power behind it, its a 40 grain solid lead slug traveling at maybe 1100fps (subsonic) at the muzzle. A 9mm will be traveling at about 1300 fps (slightly above supersonic) and will weight at 124 gr to 148 gr. So the power difference is pretty big.

What I meant was that typically with a 9mm and at least with a .45 you're going to have a through-and-through. But as .22's are essentially pellets with gunpowder they would definitely penetrate the abdomen but would not come out hence the theory that they'd cut up more organs instead of only poking a small hole with a through-and-through of a 9mm.

I am in no way advocating .22 as a self defense weapon. My .38 on the other hand, yes.

19. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

bounce is not the correct term, but effectivly that is what happens. the round will follow the path of least resistance, and will rickochet off bone and hard material, and will create a path that isn't a straight line but cuts every which way. effectivly, you either kill by the shock of the impact, or by draining blood - the more you can create channels though the body, the more you drain blood. this is part of the theory behind the small rounds used in an m-16
    No, it isn't. Look at some wounding profiles for .22LR. It's a soft round with minimal penetrating power. The only case in which it would ricochet is if it hit a bone and deflected (and in the case of .22LR, it's just as likely to simply stop). The only time you kill by "shock of the impact" or "hydrostatic shock" or other such internet myths is when you fire a powerful round that passes very close to CNS nerve tissue, destroying it with overpressure (essentially represented by temporary cavity on a wounding profile). Other than that, there are two ways you kill someone: blood loss and CNS disruption. .22LR is shitty for both. A .22 is not useful for anything larger than a ground hog. And the 5.56x45mm round used in M16s functions completely differently. A soft lead .22LR round behaves nothing like a jacketed rifle round designed to fragment by destabilization at high speeds.
    What I meant was that typically with a 9mm and at least with a .45 you're going to have a through-and-through. But as .22's are essentially pellets with gunpowder they would definitely penetrate the abdomen but would not come out hence the theory that they'd cut up more organs instead of only poking a small hole with a through-and-through of a 9mm. I am in no way advocating .22 as a self defense weapon. My .38 on the other hand, yes.
    If they don't come out, they're causing less blood loss than they could, which means less killing. It does not mean that they're doing more damage to internal organs. If your objective is to kill, there is no shot from a .22 that would not be more lethal from basically anything larger. The idea that a .22 is somehow more lethal because of "ricocheting" or "bouncing" is pure internet myth. Don't buy one for anything more than doing drills or shooting squirrels.

20. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

But if I need a gun to protect me from bands of marauding squirrels, I'm still cool with a .22, right?