1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

ITS IN THE CASE AND READY!!!

I absolutely love the L frame. mine is a no dash from 1983.

2. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

Agree the versa max is a fantastic shotgun. But I think the Benelli IMHO is a much better pick. Those are some damn fine shotguns.

3. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

also, thought id share a family pic i snapped last night...

[​IMG]

Smith 586
    Smith J frame Texas Hold em SE
    Smith Airweight pre-lock
    Smith J Frame Perf Centter WIley Clapp edition
    Smith J Frame 357
    Colt Mark IV polished stainless
    Dan Wesson CCO
    Dan Wesson Guardian
    Colt WIley Clapp Commander
    Kimber raptor

Pretty excited to get out in the morning tomorrow and put some rounds thru all of em. :slayer:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    3 people like this.
  4. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I see you're an SAO man too...

1 person likes this.
  5. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

:fistbump:

6. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Do you use a wheel gun for CC?

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Agree, Remington Quality has taken a steep nose dove in recent years. Duck hunters around here pretty much all use Benelli's because in bad weather everything else eventually becomes a single shot. My Benelli Super Sport is the original model and has HK in red on the receiver. The Benelli Ultralight is my go to gun most of the time in the uplands but I prefer 2 pipes most of the time. For self defense prefer the Ithaca 37 because I grew up with them and can operate them as fast as most can an auto.

Recently picked up a used Beretta Ultralight (they don't make them any more). Had the ugly peanut butter finish on it
    [​IMG]

Stripped it down and refinished with Waterlox and BenMatte. Picked up a full set of Beretta Victory chokes from Midway on sale. Cut stock keeping pitch and added a KickEZZ pad and front site. All told have $300 less in it than Cabelas sells them for.
    [​IMG]

Wood isn't much better than fence post grade however. Keep checking to see what Rich Cole has but nothing has caught my fancy yet. Would like to come close to my custom combo from Joel Etchen with EELL wood someday.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Sweet refinishing job, looks 100% better.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  9. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

586 is amazing, but I'm actually gonna steal the Dan Wesson Guardian. No one tell @DerekS![​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

depends on the day. I will say that out of all the pistols ive carried, nothing conceals like a J Frame 38. I recently picked up a j frame 357 and love carrying that. its a BEAST to shoot, and i absolutely hate shooting it. But it will get the job done.

11. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

you REALLY need that DW man.

12. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

YAY FREEDOMS!!!

13. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

have you seen the benelli O/U yet?

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Great post, dickhead.

3 people like this.
  15. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

This is quite remarkable to read. Most of my knowledge of odd calibers comes from my collection of antique ammunition (I have cartridges from 1" Gatling to 2.7mm Kolibri), so while I have an 8-bore round, I can't imagine what it must have been like to shoot one.

I had to throw out a hard drive recently, and of course needed to destroy any data on it first. The .500 Smith is a bit of a handful with heavy cast loads.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. brokencycle

I would still run a strong magnet over the disk.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Not in person, just pictures. Certainly is an ugly gun IMO but Benelli isn't exactly known for aesthetically pleasing designs. The Admiral and skipper (Captain) I hunt phez with in SD both have the Benelli Vinci and they admit it is a ugly, black, godless killing machine but it is extremely effective for both of them. I prefer the other Italian makers for O/U's and besides Beretta have F.A.I.R. (I. Rizzini) and a couple of B. Rizzinis which all work well for me. Also have an older Browning Super Imposed and Miroku but they just don't fit me as well as my other guns. I don't see the Benelli making it into the safe but have not shot one yet either and there is a lot to be said for the star of end result.

We used to use magnetic field to wipe disks but have gone to mechanical shredders. Another round or two and that thing would look close to the shredder LOL. That drive is an IBM "Deathstar" so it is deader than hell anyhow [​IMG]

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I should think it would be a handful with any full-power loads. I have never had the doubtful pleasure of shooting one of those hand cannons. Back around the time I hit my mid- or late 40s, I came to the soft, effete conclusion that shooting should be a pleasurable activity. I also have to wonder how many men can handle anything more than a stiff .44 Magnum load in a gun of good weight with any degree of proficiency.

19. brokencycle

Ah the Deathstar! I worked on the Hitachi generation after all of that nonsense.

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Quote: