1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Mauro, I want to get sure to buy an AR that can chamber both rounds. Thoughts on models to examine?

2. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Having researched this fairly extensively not too long ago - you'll find people who will tell you that cheaper models are just as reliable, and you'll find people who will push you toward more expensive boutique brands, but it'll be hard for you to find anyone who'll tell you that you have a bad gun if you buy a Colt 6920.

Keep an eye on slickguns, and depending on how patient you want to be, you can find one for as little as ~$900.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Also, factor in optics + ammunition + additional mags. Most people are presumably buying a rifle like this to have "just in case" and that means keeping 500-1,000 rounds for it at all times (of course some will argue for more than this). With today's prices, a decent ammo stockpile can run you half the cost of the goddamn rifle.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

5. Piobaire

All good points but for the reason which is, "Because I can. America! Fuck yeah!" :)

6. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

You can get a Colt AR15 LE 6921 for $800?

7. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Where are you getting the prices? I've seen prices all over the place so I took a stab at the price. I was actually told I could get more for it because it was such a low serial number and they don't make them anymore (and they're hard to get). As I said earlier in the thread, getting prices for these guns are almost impossible. I saw a S+W model (the exact model I'm also selling on Gunbroker) sell for $2500. The prices are all over the place.

8. brokencycle

Bud's: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_140/Colt/

Range from $877-$1677

Slickguns has Colt ARs regularly posted for <$1000. I don't know about the 6921 (I don't know the difference).

Here's an expired one posted 6 days ago: http://www.slickguns.com/product/colt-6920mp-223-le-moe-16-barrel-synthetic-1-30rd-89988-1298-sh

Looks like you can still get it for <$1000 just not $900

9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Check with your range. My range does not allow steel case pistol ammo. Steel case rifle ammo is allowed, though.

I want to buy an AR every time I handle my AK. It's heavy and cumbersome.

Regarding my previous post, I really wouldn't worry about optics unless you believe you'll need to use the rifle outdoors for defense someday, or if budget isn't a concern then by all means get a good optic. Nobody needs and probably wouldn't want optics for typical home defense scenarios. That being said, if you have access to a nice outdoor range or wooded area where you can stretch its legs, optics would be something I'd definitely want.

10. Piobaire

I belong to an outdoor range and usually shoot on the 100 yard rifle range. My 10/22 is not fit for more than that. I'm not sure yet what I'll put on the AR. Maybe a quick change mount so I can do a red dot for tactical and something better for shooting at 100 yards.

11. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've never heard of those sites before. From what I understand, the 6921 was an LE model (stamped for LE or NATO only) that was temporarily made in Canada. Apparently they're hard to find and were a limited run. I'll probably put the price at around $900 or so and it should get some bids. Maybe around $1k is more realistic. This gun went for $2k a year or two ago. Perhaps just hype.

Although, I thought about keeping it because if Hillary or Mitt get elected I'm sure these rifles would get outlawed fast (and increase in value again).

I think the S+W will go for around $400-$600. I think I put that a little high as well.

12. brokencycle

You're welcome. I wish I had better news for you: I think prices are normalizing (at least on guns) because it is clear federal lawmakers, at least, won't do anything. That S&W is a thing of beauty though.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  14. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

In the Oh Well, "Sh#t Happens" department,

Sh#t Happens

15. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

My local gun shop put Beretta ARX-160s on sale, which made me think: what is the point of a 22lr assault rifle?

16. Piobaire

If it's good enough for the Mossad it's good enough for me. Think about the good old Ruger 10/22 set up tactical style. 50 round clips, almost unstoppable action that will eat almost any ammo with no complaints, not much kick, not too loud (important indoors as it will stun the shooter too), and I can get 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

What point is there not to get?

17. brokencycle

What pio said. Plus they're fun and cheap to shoot. I can take something similar and shoot for a few hours and the ammo will cost me about the range rental time.

1 person likes this.
  18. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Ok, I agree with most of what you said. However, no way you are getting 1.5 groups at 100 yds with 22lr unless you are at an indoor range. 22 ammo is excellent out to 50yds, then velocity drop off makes it highly wind sensitive

Then again I'm guessing the expected useful range for a .22 Beretta like this one is 50yds or less, it isn't exactly meant to be a sniper rifle.

19. Piobaire

Not every group but you can see by the time I got my scope dialed in for the center group I put 10 rounds right in there.

Edit: keep in mind this is a plain, cheap old Ruger 10/22 I put a 9x scope on. There are some crazy expensive "accurized" rigs out there doing .5" groups.

[​IMG]

Here's a guy nailing a 12" bullet trap at 300 yards and doing trying for 400 yards.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Recommendations on bolt action rifles for mixed use: a) target practice b) no prob taking wild boar / deer (little texas ones)

Sounds like Remington 700 is pretty timeless, is there much to be gained by going up market?

Any reason to go with anything other than .30-06 / 7.62? (bear in mind dual use)

Recommendations on scopes?