1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    NICE SHOTGUN!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

I had a miserable day at the club today. It started with wobble. They must have fixed the trap or something the damn clay where flying out of the bunker at moch 1 and if they got any lower to the ground they would have been considered rabbits. Then went to shoot a round of skeet. It was horrifying. The interesting thing is I still left happy. If I do poorly in MMA I beat myself up. If I do poorly in gold I beat myself up. I don't do that with shooting, maybe this is the sport I should be in?

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Mauro that is why we keep coming back to shoot [​IMG] I call those low wobble birds "worm burners".

Just remember (unfortunately) no matter how bad you shoot that you have yet to shoot your worst round. And as soon as you think it couldn't happen it will. Then other days the birds seem to be the size of trash can lids and seems like you can't miss. It is a strange sport indeed....

I consider skeet mental masturbation, it is bubble gum for my mind and relaxing for me. If I don't walk up to 8 with 3 shells left I'm pissed at myself for not running them. But every once in awhile I end up shooting in the teens and wondering who stole my gun out of the safe while I was sleeping and replaced it with something foreign.

I hope you make smoke balls out of them all- and if you don't keep it fun!

1 person likes this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

After extensive reading and pricing think I've settled on the new .920 barrel and trigger group I will be buying in the new year. Both will be Kidd and the trigger group will just be a single stage group in silver. I was able to try someone's Kidd two stage a few weeks ago at the range and wow was it a light pull. I'm going to go with the single stage because I'm cheap and I'm not a match shooter. I've read extensively on the barrels and it seems the consensus is that any difference between Kidd and Vorquartsen is very minute and we're talking about 50% of the price for Vorquartsen.

Gun show first weekend of January and I'll be starting my hunt. Ambidextrous stock (I shoot left due to my eyes), Kidd 18" bead blasted .920 barrel, and Kidd single stage trigger group. All I'll have left stock is the receiver and bolt. Sort of kicking around replacing those eventually and basically reassembling my original carbine just for shytes and giggles.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

I would never buy anything at a gun show unless I was trading something. Prices are absurd. Should got me for your SS but Edina fucked that up pretty good.

6. Piobaire

I've never been to a gun show but have heard ammo is expensive there. I figure there's a bunch of people hitting Walmart every morning at 7am and reselling it at these gun shows for triple the price. Have to say I would probably grab a few bricks just for ease of acquisition.

Part of why I'm going is I hope to see IRL a few of the stocks I'm thinking of. I always wonder about fit and finish from a webpage.

7. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I bought a handgun at a gun show and it was priced right, but the seller was a store with a local presence and 8 locations in the state.

8. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

My experience w gun shows has been. Firearms at ridiculous prices for the most part, ammo hit or miss and the only advantage is the possibility to see and may be score some old gun at a reasonable price (not cheap though).

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Why I don't go to gun shows: I am not into overpriced guns, Indian junk jewelry, books on how to kill with piano wire, Nazi paraphernalia, "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" T-shirts, Lucite block paperweights with real rattlesnake heads embedded in them and secret chili-powder formulae. And I won't even talk about most of the attendees!

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaire

Ack! Okay, you guys have scared me off the gun show idea.

11. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

You should go at least once just have the experience and then we can say " we told you so".

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

13. Piobaire

Nah, I have better ways to spend a Saturday. I was going to hopefully see IRL a few things I have my eye on and maybe get a slamming deal. Seems like the concept of a "slamming deal" is not a good one so I'll just relax that Saturday morning vs. mixing with the plebs.

14. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Got my Smith & Wesson and my Ruger back from their trigger jobs (Apex for the S&W, Galloway for the Ruger). The gun store owner whose gunsmith I get work done through was raving about the Galloway kit, and said it's the first he's seen and after seeing mine he's going to put one on his SR9 and stock them in the store.

Going to the range later today to see how they shoot

15. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Considering how you did on your medical tests maybe you should skip the range and hit the books.

16. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

But...the beef jerky...

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

This is not quite correct. Sporting Clays often lets you use two, hence the proliferation of over/unders. Skeet and Trap are always single rounds unless you are shooting doubles. Otherwise you are doing it wrong. Skeet and Trap are consistency games.

18. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Who sucked it at "wobble" today. It would be one Mauro Farinelli. I would like to blame it on the wind and cold but that would be a lie. Shameful day today, gents.

19. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm having trouble finding a PM9 locally. Being that it's on the expensive end of the subcompact options, most places are out of stock. Gander Mountain isn't, because they're asking $899.99 :laugh:

edit - ended up finding a really small shop that was able to order one for me and get it by the 24th for a great price. Can't wait to get it to the range.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013