1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Well I meant a .22 AR. S&W or Tacsol, depending on budget.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Hell, .223 is more available than .22LR right now. That might be an issue.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Nah, have a 22 rifle now so would want another sized round.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Holy....fucking shit..

I would NOT want to be on the opposite end of that magnum.

The recoil on that is INSANE.

:wow:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

I have one and love how soft is shoots. The trigger is shit, agree and will replace mine for an apex at some point, I also want a match barrel with compensator for 3gun. As to advantages over glock... it's called ergonomics... the glock is a solid gun but is like grabbing a 2x4, not my thing...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Caustic Man

I actually like the GLOCK grip. I have kinda big hands and the G17 fits perfectly. I use the large backstrap on my M&P.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

The 500 is no jake in the recoil department when shooting the heaviest loads, but it's not that bad. The grip is really well designed, which matters so much - had some fancy wood grips on Smith 629 (44 Mag) that made shooting that pretty awful, but it was no problem at all with the stock Pachmyrs. It does have a lot of energy, but he is shooting those melons from like five feet away....

-H

8. Piobaire

Good morning at the range. Trying to dial in my new scope for the 10/22 and got three groupings of about 1-1.5" at 50 yards. While I kept getting closer to "zero" not quite there yet. Think I need to either get a new stock with an integrated cheek rest or a cheek rest for this stock. Think I'll go with the new stock. I like the looks of something like this:

[​IMG]

9. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

those look nice... who makes them ? $$$ ?

I just got a 10/22 and cannot wait to go to the range to shoot it... but getting 22 LR ammo is becoming almost impossible (at reasonable prices).

Anyway, of those two I like the red gray the most.

10. Piobaire

There's a bunch of them on ebay. Be careful to make sure you get one that fits what barrel you have (factory or the 920 "bull pup" one). Those I think are Revolution stocks but just to an ebay search for 10/22 stock and see all the various ones that come up. Can grab these for between $150 and $190 depending on model.

11. GreenFrog

Does anyone here have a Thompson? I'd really like to own one as a nod to my gaming past (original call of duty for PC).

12. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Finally got around to modding my AK. First was a trigger replacement and new trigger pin retainer plate. I'm adding a picatinny quad rail from Midwest Industries, collapsible stock from Command Arms (aluminum tube), and a short vertical grip from tapco. Can't wait to shoot it once all the mods are finished. It was too short for my frame making it awkward to hold, and the trigger slap was awful.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  13. Huntsman

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. GreenFrog

Yup , except not with the drum magazine. I saw a YouTube video of an older war vet shooting a modern replica and either he's a great shot or the Thompson is still accurate as hell. I bet it's a heavy mofo though.

15. Huntsman

Yah, in the bottom pic I have the 30rd stick. The sticks are the most reliable, but simply dumping a 50rd drum is incredible fun!

There are two common 'styles' of TSMG, the Model of 1928 as above, and the M1 style. The M1 has the actuator on the side rather than the top, and only has the horizontal foregrip. It was the 'simplfied' version created to meet demand during WWII, when the Model of 1928 style could not be produced fast enough. The M1 does not take a drum, while the 1928 takes either. While the gun itself is surprisingly heavy, with a full 50 rd drum it is really heavy, and with a full 100rd drum its ridiculous.

Thompsons are remarkably accurate, even with the 10" barrel on the Class III Thompsons, and are remarkably controllable in burst fire, unlike some fully automatic subguns. The modern replicas might be more accurate, as they have significantly longer barrels.

But aren't you in NJ or NY?

16. GreenFrog

Oh, wait.. snap! That's you shooting the thompsons above?!

:slayer:

I much prefer the M1. Below is the video I was referring to. This old man is kinda funny lol. He's a fantastic shot and I'd be happy being half as accurate at him. Also, :slayer: at his playground.

Also, no. I live in Dallas. Planning on moving to NY soon, though, so I probably won't be buying any guns, although I kinda want to.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  17. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
  18. Piobaire

That old guy is either a liar or looking really, really damn good for being a minimum of 86 years old. WWII ended in '45, so say he legally enlisted in the last year of the war and the minimum age, he's 86.

19. Caustic Man

He was being sarcastic, as Hicock45 usually is. I believe he has even previously stated that he was never in the military. He was a cop way back when, however. He will often make jokes about his age in a deadpan manner. That's just the way he is.

20. Piobaire

Ah, gotcha. Is his youtube channel worth checking out?

Question concerning my forthcoming AR purchase. Will I notice, as a very amateur shooter, much of a difference between the S&W M&P models with a free floating barrel vs. non? Chromed vs. non for longevity and cleaning?