1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

My range goes only to 650 yds, but I live in NV so I could shoot this thing in the desert. I know it will be expensive. Will see, I'm affraid that if I buy a .338 Lapua or a .300 WinMag (much more practical and realistic options) I will always be wanting a 50 cal.

2. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Look up 408 Cheytac. If I were to get around to getting a big gun that's the route I would go. I'm very fond of the Lapua round. Once you get some brass collected up reloading it is easy and fairly cheap.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

If you're interested in the 338 Lapua, you really should check out the 338 Norma. A number of significant advantages over the Lapua variant.

4. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Why choose a Beretta 92FS over a Taurus PT92?

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Looking for a good range gun to buy (or get gifted for my bday in March) in 9mm of course.

I shot the Sig P226 Navy a few weeks ago and CREAMED over it.

Anything that nice by another manu for a smaller price?

6. Crane's

Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are. There is no comparison between the two when it comes to finish and fit. The metallurgy is better. Both function well but in the end the Beretta takes the day in that department as well. I've shot a lot of rounds through PT92s. It's a decent gun, no real complaints to speak of. Taurus has a bunch of older gen Smith knockoffs as well. Decent guns but they aren't Smiths either.

7. Crane's

What's nice about the Sig? Trigger? Sights? Function? How it feels in the hand?

You are getting into very subjective things here. What works for you may suck for me and vice versa. If you took all my handguns and said you only get one my choice would be a Colt Python with a 3 inch barrel. That's not a choice most people would make.

8. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Yes, I've never shot, nor held, either. Also, I've grown up my entire life hearing that Berettas are jam-happy pieces of shit. Just wondering what the differences are specifically. (BTW I've heard terrible things about the Taurus semis too, but the PT92 seems to be well liked)

How it feels in the hand. I like that and would like something that 'feels' comparable. Nice feel, low recoil.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

My buddy has a 92FS both full size and compact. We went to the range a couple months ago, and I rented the CZ75, which when we were done for the day he remarked that he liked just as much as his Beretta and it is about 1/2 the price.

10. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Cool, I was looking at CZ 75.

Hell, I almost....almost... got a CZ 82 in Makarov over my PPKS 380.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  11. Crane's

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

The 85 is just the ambidextrous version, no?

13. Crane's

Adjustable sights, adjustable trigger over travel, no firing pin block and a couple of other things. I like to all it the "target" version. The next time I come across one I'm going to add it to the collection.

14. Crane's

While we're on the subject of guns I now want a Thunder Well. I have no idea what it would be good for but "shooting" one would be fun. I heard the stuff you need to reload one though is really expensive and hard to find. Oh wait, the gun blows up each time you "shoot" it so you have to build a brand spanking new gun each time you want to have fun. Kinda makes it hard to sight in but oh the velocities! LOL!

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

hk p30 (though similar price)

16. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

I think once you're accustomed to a given trigger system, the biggest issue after functional reliability is how well the piece fits your hand. How many boxes of ammo does it take for your strong hand to start aching? The CZ, Sig and Beretta all have different grip sizes, and different control locations. To me the beretta seems like it was made for apes.

17. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Well-Known Member

my new baby... :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  18. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

19. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Not many. Hell, my HK P7M13 hurts my hand; should have gotten the single stack M8.

The PPKS is very snappy, I guess due to the fixed barrel design. Hopefully a wood grain handle will help with that some, I don't want to have to get one of those wrap around Pachys.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  20. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Anyone in the DC area shoot sporting clays or trap? I am looking for more shooting partners. If you are interested please email me at Mauro@wolfvsgoat.com
    I shoot at PGC Trap and Skeet. I currently shoot with another SF member we normally pick one week day and Sundays.

Best,

Mauro