1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Kengs

Kengs Well-Known Member

It's a damn shame Chinese ammo is banned these days; I could get the mad hookup on Norinco 5.56 & 9mm ammo

2. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

It's a damn shame Chinese ammo is banned these days; I could get the mad hookup on Norinco 5.56 & 9mm ammo

My understanding is that the ban went in place when it was discovered the Chinese were using lead in their manufacturing process. [​IMG]

3. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

I have DCM with 3.991 RBI and 382 on mod. cap with average return of hollowpoints to 0.

4. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear ya ... I'm holding onto my stash of Guatamalan M193 and shooting other calibers until (?) prices come down on 5.56 NATO. Besides Wolf I don't know what else is available that is reasonably priced.

AR15.com 5.56 NATO ammo price list

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

6. Kengs

Kengs Well-Known Member

12 gauge Ithaca Stakeout
    [​IMG]

H&K USP 9mm with night sights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

I have DCM with 3.991 RBI and 382 on mod. cap with average return of hollowpoints to 0.

WTF are you talking about?

8. Opcn

Opcn Well-Known Member

9. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

I'm turning 21 next week and I'm planning to pick up my dad's Glock 17. He recommended me the 10mm instead of the 9mm but said if I wanted he'd sell me his 9mm and he'd buy the 10mm. Not planning on carrying it concealed at this point in time.

10. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

10mm is a pretty rare chambering. 9mm would be a better cartridge to learn to shoot with if this is your first handgun. The ammunition is less expensive and the recoil is less.

11. Kengs

Kengs Well-Known Member

FWIW, 10mm ammo is PRICEY.

12. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

I've read that other places as well, and I've decided to go with the 9mm. He's got two 17-round clips as well.

If I purchase my dad's gun, would I need to register it in my name or pass a background check, or anything like that? I read on crime.about.com on the gun laws in GA page that this is not required but would like to be sure, obviously. [​IMG]

13. asobu

asobu Well-Known Member

So it's legal to carry a concealed gun in most places in the states? Do you carry it with you when you're out and about? Would you gun down someone in street, who puts you in a threatening situation?

edit: considering some people talked about self defense and the difference in damage when shooting people with different guns... have you shot anyone?

edit2: and this is not to offend anyone, I'm just curious.

14. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

I'm turning 21 next week and I'm planning to pick up my dad's Glock 17. He recommended me the 10mm instead of the 9mm but said if I wanted he'd sell me his 9mm and he'd buy the 10mm. Not planning on carrying it concealed at this point in time.

In addition to the factors others have mentioned, you will definitely want to consider the fact that the Glock in 10mm Auto is much more of a handful than the Glocks chambered in 9mm Para. In other words, you should definitely hold/shoot a Glock 20/29 before you buy one. The grip is HUGE and unless you have very large hands you will have a tough time with the gun.

Much like you should avoid clothes that do not fit your body, you should avoid handguns that do not fit your hand.

15. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, folks.

16. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

I've read that other places as well, and I've decided to go with the 9mm. He's got two 17-round clips as well.

If I purchase my dad's gun, would I need to register it in my name or pass a background check, or anything like that? I read on crime.about.com on the gun laws in GA page that this is not required but would like to be sure, obviously. [​IMG]

Some more information for you on GA firearms law:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Should be intesting to see if the comments you receive in the WAYWN thread suddenly become more complimentary. [​IMG]

18. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

lawyerdad, you are right, and I'll be incorporating my gun into every outfit so that as soon as comments aren't what I want to hear, people start getting Pasadenaed.

19. chang

chang Well-Known Member

In most states in the US it is lawful to carry a concealed weapon provided you have the proper license for it. It's generally not lawful to carry on school property, courthouses, state buildings, and bars/nightclubs/music venues. Other than that, yes, you can carry when you're out and about. Self defense shooting is usually only justified if you are cornered or have no safe way to escape and the other person is threatening you with deadly force. I personally have not shot anybody though working in a trauma room for a while, I've seen my fair share of gunshot wounds (this was not in the USA), some of which were pretty interesting.

A lot of bigger cities have complete bans on handguns, strict licensing for concealed carry (where almost nobody gets a license unless you know somebody), or no license allowed at all. If you are a Chicago resident, you are not allowed to have a handgun. I believe the ban in Washington DC is still also in effect. In California, it's very difficult/impossible for most people to get a permit to carry a firearm. I imagine NYC is difficult to get a permit in.

So it's legal to carry a concealed gun in most places in the states? Do you carry it with you when you're out and about? Would you gun down someone in street, who puts you in a threatening situation?

edit: considering some people talked about self defense and the difference in damage when shooting people with different guns... have you shot anyone?

edit2: and this is not to offend anyone, I'm just curious.

20. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

10mm is an extremely versatile and powerful chambering. It can be chambered down to essentially be a .40 S&W (which is its caliber anyways), or the powder charge can be increased to rival the .44 Magnum....needless to say, the 10mm can be one HELL of a round.

That being said, ammo is very expensive for it and hard to find. I'd love to own one, but the 9mm is much easier and cheaper to find, and is much more friendly for a first-time owner to learn on and practice cheaply and often.

The 9mm Glocks, both the Glock 19 and the 17, are excellent choices for a first gun, although keep in mind they are both full-size pistols and can be a pain to properly conceal in summer/spring attire......SHOULD you choose to carry later on!

One last thing: though 'we' are fighting it, go ahead and spend the $40 and apply for the CCW permit right when you turn 21. It takes about an hour and a half. Georgia law states they must either deny you or give you your license NO LATER than 60 days after applying, but the probate judges are disregarding this and taking their sweet time. Mine took 125 days, or a hair over 4 months......