1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Guilty of Bad Dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

I don't think the suit is that bad. The sleeves look too long, and the guy is in terrible shape, but the overall look is pretty average and inoffensive in general. I don't think any juror would be swayed by it either way. If he were wearing some cheezy stereotypical mobster outfit, maybe.

Why do people have to use their real names to sell stuff? If I know the guy's name is really "Jan Meerkens" does that help me in some way? And if it really bothers me that I don't know the guy or who he is or what his background is, wouldn't I just... not buy from him?

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Dang it all! I though consultants were supposed to remain anonymous. My bad.

You have to be paid some how :)

3. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

As you suggested, I tried to call the Conselle Institute in Utah. The telephone was answered by an answering machine. Perhaps Judith Rasband is off on a speaking tour.

Further information, for those interested, may be found here:

Review of the Conselle Institute philosophy

and Public Relations information here:

The Conselle Institute

Wow. That Conselle web site is...interesting . I'm not sure what to say, other than Ms Rasband might benefit from an image consultant herself.

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Do Tom Cruise and Madonna (oops I mean Esther) belong?

5. Margaret

MIC, the java action on that homepage is over the top and excrutiatingly annoying, BTW. Comes off as quite cheesy and undercuts the sophisticated professionalism I think you want to present.

And why does that first link connect to a dead page on the 'Gay American Archives' website?

Am I coming in very late on some inside joke?

6. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

And why does that first link connect to a dead page on the 'Gay American Archives' website?

Am I coming in very late on some inside joke?

There is an error in the link; one needs to remove one of the "http://" to view the article. The writer of the article in question is responding to an newspaper article he read which quotes Ms Rasband.

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

I don't think the suit is that bad. The sleeves look too long, and the guy is in terrible shape, but the overall look is pretty average and inoffensive in general. I don't think any juror would be swayed by it either way. If he were wearing some cheezy stereotypical mobster outfit, maybe.

Court reactions to it aside, it's more than the suit sleeves. The jacket might be slightly long. The pants are much too tight and probably a little long. The belt possibly is too tight. The tie is too narrow; maybe he's stuck with that for the most part, but the color and pattern could be bolder, to draw attention away from his size. Also, for the same reason, he'd do better with a patterned shirt or possibly (if not too "Mafia") a striped suit. Compare with some other outfits he's wearing, where his poor physical fitness is downplayed.

8. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Well-Known Member

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Kabbaz, I've never had the pleasure of wearing one of your shirts, so I can't really comment on your prowess in that field - but you're one funny guy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Well, it's easy enough to go to mensimageconsultant.com and see. I don't think any of us are under the delusion that they offer their services for free or that the moniker of "professional" conveys absolute credibility.

Hmm, thinking for ourselves, like adults do... That's an interesting angle.

11. Margaret

Court reactions to it aside, it's more than the suit sleeves. The jacket might be slightly long. The pants are much too tight and probably a little long. The belt possibly is too tight. The tie is too narrow; maybe he's stuck with that for the most part, but the color and pattern could be bolder, to draw attention away from his size. Also, for the same reason, he'd do better with a patterned shirt or possibly (if not too "Mafia") a striped suit. Compare with some other outfits he's wearing, where his poor physical fitness is downplayed.

Court reactions aside? Hell, that's the ONLY sartorial concern this guy should have -- not "what the guys at SF will think". For anyone on trial for anything connected to mob activity, I think cultivating the appearance of not knowing or caring much about clothing is probably a damn good idea... (from his perspective, of course -- as one of "The People", I think he should dress like the goodfella scum that he is and face the Puccini).

[​IMG]

12. Alexander Kabbaz

Must say I'm learning stuff from this MIC guy!

So "poor physical fitness" indicates a better image than, say, "fat as a f'ing house"?

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

14. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Court reactions aside? Hell, that's the ONLY sartorial concern this guy should have -- not "what the guys at SF will think". For anyone on trial for anything connected to mob activity, I think cultivating the appearance of not knowing or caring much about clothing is probably a damn good idea... (from his perspective, of course -- as one of "The People", I think he should dress like the goodfella scum that he is and face the Puccini).

[​IMG]

You have a point, but decent fit alone won't get a person labelled stylish (or "too stylish"). His clothes look of very average make, nothing that would make him appear to have more money than retired legitimate police officers normally do. Maybe he could leave the sleeves too long to help give an "appearance of not knowing or caring much about clothing." But be nice to average Joe viewers and fix the rest, which they do notice in aggregate.

15. Alexander Kabbaz

You have a point, but decent fit alone won't get a person labelled stylish (or "too stylish"). His clothes look of very average make, nothing that would make him appear to have more money than retired legitimate police officers normally do. Maybe he could leave the sleeves too long to help give an "appearance of not knowing or caring much about clothing." But be nice to average Joe viewers and fix the rest, which they do notice in aggregate.
    Yo, dude. You can't be that ... Don't you realize that the guy is going to prison for the rest of his life ... which will probably be rather short because he's gonna get wacked by one or more of the hundreds he helped put there. Do you really think he gives a damn what Average Joe Viewiers think of the clothes he's wearing? He's walking dead.