1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Guide to Wet Shaving

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MetroStyles, Jun 14, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Cartridge Fusions are a bit expensive. As an example a package of 4 or 5 would run you 20$. How much would it cost to supply blades for a safety razor?

100 Derby blades will cost 20 bucks off ebay. At a blade a week, which is average, that's two years of shaves for the cost of not even a week using a Fusion.

aoluffy: What Merkur did you end up getting man?

2. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Well-Known Member

3. aoluffy

aoluffy Well-Known Member

100 Derby blades will cost 20 bucks off ebay. At a blade a week, which is average, that's two years of shaves for the cost of not even a week using a Fusion.

aoluffy: What Merkur did you end up getting man?

I got the HD. read about a bit and everyone seems to suggest the HD is best.

I need to find some videos and stuff. My dad has only ever used commercial razors so I have no one to learn from [​IMG].

4. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

My math is bad today, I meant a month of using the Fusion...that is, if their cartridges last a whole week, which I doubt anyway.

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I need to find some videos and stuff. My dad has only ever used commercial razors so I have no one to learn from [​IMG].

Nice choice, that could very well be the last razor you ever buy.

Here, knock yourself out man.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

I'll go ahead and tell you, most important rule ever, DO NOT PRESS THE RAZOR DOWN ON YOUR FACE!You will hurt yourself. The only pressure on your face should be from the weight of the razor itself, and will result in a great shave. If you press down like you are used to doing with cartridge razors, the blade will bypass the hair and start digging into your skin. At best you'll have a nasty case of razor burn, at worst you'll cut yourself.

Don't be discouraged if you burn or cut yourself though. Takes a few weeks to get the hang of it, especially around the neck area.

The videos should spell it all out for ya.

6. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Well-Known Member

Check out here: http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04...-your-grandpa/

good start, plus has links to other places of interest.

7. Helix

Helix Well-Known Member

HD is the shit. With Derby blades and a little practice I never get razor burn anymore and that was a huuuge problem for me with cartridge razors. I also like paying 15 cents for a razor that lasts a week. Owns the fusion so hard.

8. Cognacad

Cognacad Well-Known Member

9. pinchi22

pinchi22 Well-Known Member

So I looked up Merkur at amazon.

Which one should I get? 0_o

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...Merkur&x=0&y=0

Also, does it have to be Merkur? Is parker any good?

The Classic HD (Heavy Duty) Merkur is, as Corey recommends, a great starter razor:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic...2589491&sr=1-9

Personally, I think the late-1940´s Gillette Super Speed is an even a better starter razor. It´s less agressive, though you have to hunt one down on one of the DE shaving buy and sell fora or on Ebay.

Never tried the Parker.

10. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I had a Parker. Great if you are on a budget, but nowhere near a Merkur. If you can afford to splurge 40 bucks on a Merkur it shouldn't be any choice at all.

As far as which Merkur to get, they are all great...but HD seems to be the safest choice. That being said, I don't have a HD (I found a Gillette 40s era Superspeed off ebay that I use, which is comparable), but I do have a Futur and it is the best razor I've ever used.

The head geometry on the Merkurs are far superior to anything out there, with the old Gillettes coming in a not so close second. Like comparing a steak knife to a katana.

Just my opinion though, everyones' faces and beards are different, what works well for one may not work well for another. Best to try everything and get a healthy case of razor acquisition disorder going [​IMG]

11. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

Wow you suppose to wet your face before your shave? [​IMG] Who is this article was written for, teenagers?

Try Trader Joe Mango shaving cream. It contains small amount of glycerin and it improves shaving dramatically.

You don't need badger hair brush[​IMG] What a bunch of BS. Shaving brush is bacteria factory

12. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

You don't 'need' a shaving brush....no. But they are great to have and improve the quality and enjoyability of the shave more than anything. I'd recommend someone getting a good brush over someone getting another razor if they had to choose one thing to get.

People have been using shaving brushes for a few hundred years now, I haven't heard of any outbreaks or issues using them. Although, I definitely wouldn't recommend sharing one, unless that means handing it town to your son, which many have done.

13. Cognacad

Ok so Merkur is better, got it.

What is the difference between the HD and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Ha...54043&sr=1-118

Also, how is the blade changed in the HD?
    The futur seems to have a better blade change system, as well as the Vision.

Any feedback?

Thanks!

14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I think the only difference is the length of the handle. I prefer the short fat handles, but if you have big hands or fat fingers, the long might be a better choice.

Never had an HD, but I did have the 1908 classic or whatever, which is the same thing with a different handle design. All you do is unscrew the handle from the base of the head and it comes apart pretty easily to change the blade.

That is the ONE gripe I have about the Futur though. You must grab the head of the razor to remove the top to change the blade. Even though I've never had a problem, I can see how that could lead to a pretty bad injury if you aren't careful. Also you must hold the head of the razor to turn it if you want to adjust it.

15. Cognacad

16. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

One has a long handle, one doesn't. Other than that I'm sure it's just the design of the handle. Note though, some of these razors have "teeth". I'd avoid those unless you have a VERY coarse beard. An open combed razor is very aggressive.

I love Derby blades, but blades more than anything are YMMV. If I were you I'd check out the shavemyface.com forum and purchase a razor blade sampler pack from the member there who sells them.

You'll get a good variety to try out to determine what's best for you. I love Derbys but some people hate them and prefer Merkur, Feather, etc.

Your confusing yourself (and me) with all these razor man haha. Just get an HD and be done with it. The HD has a very heavy handle, which is what you want.

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

(...) Your confusing yourself (and me) with all these razor man haha. Just get an HD and be done with it. The HD has a very heavy handle, which is what you want.

Truth. The only DE razor that I kept is an HD. Simple as hell to use, good geometry, solid build quality, easy blade changes. You'll be surprised at how small it is, but that's a good thing because the short handle keeps you from trying to muscle the blade around and press into your skin. If I went back to DE shaving I would go back to the HD, and if I never go back, I'm keeping it for my son. And if you try it and hate it, you should be able to sell it and not take a huge loss - but I can't recall the last time someone hated their HD.

18. Cognacad

19. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Haha the two razors I showed you were not the same I think! One of them was the HD Classic, the other one was just the "Classic". I will get the long HD I guess, barber poll.

NVM: I will just get the http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...estyleforum-20

Good choice, I myself have never liked long handles. Something about the short fat handle balances the weight perfectly for me. You will not regret this decision.

20. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Truth. The only DE razor that I kept is an HD. Simple as hell to use, good geometry, solid build quality, easy blade changes. You'll be surprised at how small it is, but that's a good thing because the short handle keeps you from trying to muscle the blade around and press into your skin. If I went back to DE shaving I would go back to the HD, and if I never go back, I'm keeping it for my son. And if you try it and hate it, you should be able to sell it and not take a huge loss - but I can't recall the last time someone hated their HD.

Yeah. There's a very active razor trade going on the wetshaving forums. If you don't like what you have someone will be more than happy to trade it for what you do want to try.

Just sterlize them before ya use them if that's the route you go lol.