1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gucci Redish Hipster Loafs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oldskool, Jun 11, 2005.

1. oldskool

oldskool Well-Known Member

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

Red patent leather? I don't think so... If these were light brown leather they'd be cool.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I think the designers are trying too hard to make it as obvious as possible that they're gucci shoes. I'm of the opinion that you can spend as much as you want on clothes, but that logo-wear is tacky no matter how much it cost.

It's ok if it's discreet, but the quarter-sized triangles logos that prada is putting on their loafers look tacky, as do the gucci ribbons imo. It would be one thing on sandals, but on patent leather loafers with a horse-bit? eef.

4. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

That ribbon isn't a Gucci thing is it? I saw some RL loafers with a similar ribbon last fall. I figured it was another manifestation of the preppy obsession with striped ribbons.

As for the shoes, I wouldn't wear them (I wouldn't wear any shoes [or any article of clothing] that I could see my face in), but I can see them working with jeans if that's your thing.

5. gardel

gardel Well-Known Member

That ribbon made my brain register "Gucci" immediately even before I noticed the brand name on the page and the horse bit. I don't pay much attention to Gucci but I think the color scheme of the ribbon is something that Gucci used extensively in the past.

6. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

7. gardel

gardel Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm pretty sure that Gucci loafers were listed in the Official Preppy Handbook (not the apparent unofficial rogue ones) as acceptable attire but perhaps that was only for Buffy and Muffy. Hard to believe, I know. And Preppy is part of Trad, right?

8. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

I don't know about the colored ones, but the black ones, with gold snaffle bit were very much a part of the 80's Lehmann scene. Every trader had a pair to wear off hours.