• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey pants, brown shoes?

btulls

Reaction score
I don't like my black dress shoes. Probably going to have to buy a new pair soon, but I have an interview on thursday and would prefer to wear my brown shoes. do any of these work?

1)

2)

3)

4)

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
I don't think any of those work particularly well, but if I have to choose, number 3 pleases my eye best. If it's a high profile job or something you really want to land, I suggest you go out an buy a new pair.

Hope this helps,

Robert

edit. or maybe a nice polish might do the trick. Someone wiser will probably enlighten you.

Last edited:

btulls

Reaction score
Polishing isn't a problem. Can definitely do that. But if none of these work, then perhaps I'll just wear the browns. I also have a navy suit that I could wear...not sure if it's the best summer attire though. It's for a law job, so fairly high profile I guess.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Number 5 works best, hands down. I've always found that a navy blue suit is a good choice for an interview, and brown shoes work extremely well with navy blue.

Give the shoes a good polish and good luck with your interview!

Robert

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of those shoes look like they have been sitting in a desert drying out for 10 years. Let's hope they take a shine and look presentable for the interview. I'm skeptical they will.

btulls

Reaction score
great thanks! making a new thread for shirt/tie combos.

btulls

Reaction score
read this on gq:

There are many older men who will go to the grave believing that wearing brown shoes with a navy suit is morally wrong. Actually, it is wearing lighter brown shoes with a navy suit that is wrong. Your shoes should be at least as dark as your suit. If your brown shoes are of a darkness approaching black, you are okay. If they are tannish, the old man is right, and you should be banned from the executive washroom. There is nothing wrong with wearing black shoes with a navy suit, sir.

i take it my shoes are dark enough.

Garasaki

Reaction score
I'm confused. Your thread is asking about wearing with grey pants, but you are now referencing a blue suit.

Not terribly complicated, but lighter brown looks awesome with gray.

Darker brown works with blue, black also works with blue.

btulls

Reaction score

I'm confused.  Your thread is asking about wearing with grey pants, but you are now referencing a blue suit.

originally was about grey suit, but told that was no good, so opted for the navy suit

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thing to do after you get the job is to buy new shoes. I am sorry my friend but those are atrocious.

And you can wear many shades of brown with grey or blue. Take a wander over to the WAYWRN or Good Taste threads for examples.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm confused.  Your thread is asking about wearing with grey pants, but you are now referencing a blue suit.

Not for an interview in a conservative industry, it doesn't.

btulls

Reaction score

First thing to do after you get the job is to buy new shoes. I am sorry my friend but those are atrocious.

And you can wear many shades of brown with grey or blue. Take a wander over to the WAYWRN or Good Taste threads for examples.

hmmm. noted i guess, but i've been told by many people both of these shoes are very nice. people aren't huge fans of my black shoes though which is why i'm trying to figure out what to wear one of these brown pairs with.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmmm. noted i guess, but i've been told by many people both of these shoes are very nice. people aren't huge fans of my black shoes though which is why i'm trying to figure out what to wear one of these brown pairs with.

Might I ask, are any of these people wearing bespoke suits and expensive shoes with brands such as Lobb, Vass, Alden, C&J, Edward Green, or Gaziano & Girling? I might sound like I'm being a dick, but I'm trying to make my point. Just because my 60yo secretary said she likes my Mickey Mouse tie doesn't mean I'd wear it to the board room.

In your pictures I see black (or is that dark brown) with burgundy sides and uppers, and brown with what appears to be a black cap toe. 2 toned shoes are not what you want in all but a few exclusive situations. If you bought a simple pair of black cap toes then you could wear them with all the pants you've posted. Or a medium to dark brown cap toe could be used with the navy or the grey. (my personal preference is no black with navy. but others don't stick to that. a darker brown will be better for an interview.)

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't like my black dress shoes. Probably going to have to buy a new pair soon

Based on your pics, I'd buy a pair before Thursday. Those shoes you posted are neither interview appropriate nor quite frankly suit appropriate. Nothing wrong with wearing brown, in fact I rarely wear black, but you really shouldn't wear either of those shoes to an interview.

i've been told by many people both of these shoes are very nice.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but they aren't. Bicycle toed shoes are generally bad and your two-toned pair (like in #5) really shouldn't be worn by anyone. For an interview shoe you should just (as others have noted) wear a black captoe, something like these:

Where are you located and what stores do you have available to you? I'm sure we could help you find something before Thursday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics