1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Grenadine & Knit Tie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DStew, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Anywhere to buy grenadines in HK?
    you can order them from Harvie and Hudson in Jermyn St : http://www.harvieandhudson.com/c/Tie..._Silk_Ties.htm
    they're nice and not too expensive. also nice knitted ties and great Foulard

2. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

How often do Lands End ties go on sale? Just checked and retail is $50 plus shipping.

I think everyone that I've bought at sale price was purchased from the "Overstocks" section of their website. You have to pick from a limited selection of colors there, but they are almost always available. If they don't have the color you want, odds are it will pop-up in a few months time.

3. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

question for the grenadine pros ... thinking about dipping a toe in the water to pick up one or two.

what do you suggest on width? I've never considered tie width before but faced with the Hober bespoke option I'm wondering whether 3.5 might be a bit sleeker than their standard 3.75. particularly curious to hear from those who've posted pics of such in the past or can in the present. i'm 6'2" if that matters

would you say this is a dark navy or a midnight blue?
    [​IMG]

given a choice between black and either dark navy or midnight blue, which do you think goes best with a navy suit?

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

^ Dark navy for sure, and Im 6'1 and 3.5 is perfect.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of knits; I actually don't much like the degree of openness to the weave and the crunchiness that others adore. The widely-available square-end versions are really quite casual looking too. I wear them occasionally, but only when I really feel I need their texture.

On the other had, I really love grenadines. The feel of them is totally different a knit, despite a vague visual similarity. They're soft, and tie a lovely knot. Where the silk knit is "crunchy" and rough, the grenadine feels smooth and luxurious.

I like Drakes for them, in their 8cm width.

6. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of knits; I actually don't much like the degree of openness to the weave and the crunchiness that others adore. The widely-available square-end versions are really quite casual looking too. I wear them occasionally, but only when I really feel I need their texture.

On the other had, I really love grenadines. The feel of them is totally different a knit, despite a vague visual similarity. They're soft, and tie a lovely knot. Where the silk knit is "crunchy" and rough, the grenadine feels smooth and luxurious.

I like Drakes for them, in their 8cm width.

I love greandines too, and I think the Drake grenadines are really nice, but I have a question. Other than supporting your national economy, and the waiting time for custom work if that is an issue, why would one purchase a grenadine from Drakes when you could purchase the same fabric from David Hober and have it custom made to your specifications, for half the price? I have many of David's grenadines and I even have one Drakes. David's are better.

7. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Well-Known Member

I love greandines too, and I think the Drake grenadines are really nice, but I have a question. Other than supporting your national economy, and the waiting time for custom work if that is an issue, why would one purchase a grenadine from Drakes when you could purchase the same fabric from David Hober and have it custom made to your specifications, for half the price? I have many of David's grenadines and I even have one Drakes. David's are better.

Sometimes Drakes ties go on sale! And I feel that Drakes has some interesting striped grenadines that Hober doesn't.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Sometimes Drakes ties go on sale! And I feel that Drakes has some interesting striped grenadines that Hober doesn't.
    The two bolded reasons. Ties are not an item I want to wait for. Since Drakes RTW dimensions are fine for me (in their 8cm width) I'd prefer to have the tie the next day. Cost isn't an issue since I don't buy lots of ties frequently. I probably bought less than 5 through all of last year, for example. But when I do, I really can't be bothered to wait. They're an impulse purchase.

9. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Well-Known Member

I agree with this statement. I do really like some of the stripped grenadines that Drakes has. Point well made. Also, I do need a custom length so for me it costs $200 to purchase one of Drake's grenadines. I don't think the custom work ever goes on sale.

10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

If the quality of Hober's and Wang's grenadines are on par or better than Drake's and other high-end brands then I suggest a person should buy 1. from the mom and pop shop (Hober and Wang) and 2. support our local SF'ers

Cheers