• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatest Living Author?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aspiringtobe;660004 said:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Sign me up for Philip Roth as well.

I would put Murakami Haruki on that list if he would just quit writing the same two books all the time. If you only read two or three of his books (and they are the right two or three), I could see one finding him brilliant. QUOTE]

Murakami uses the same themes, but Roth does not.

Both would appreciate the irony of your position.

I guess I just dont' get what you mean... could you "aspire to be" clearer (bad pun... sorry)...
wink.gif
I'm just curious what is ironic about saying that Roth could be on a greatest list for (amongst other things) his range, but Murakami might not because in some cases his range seems (IMO) limited.

Chadley

Reaction score
I always appreciate these threads--gives me new books to read!

Greatest, I don't know, but of what I've read, my favorite is Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Since American Psycho has had such a great impact on all of us (SF) I’m amazed no one mentioned Bret Easton Ellis…?

Jon.

NOt all of us.
Originally Posted by gdl203
I assume we're limiting this to novelists?

My list:

Milan Kundera (far ahead)

Umberto Eco
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Haruki Murakami

I think this is a great short list. I might add Ann Patchett, Peter Carey, probably a few others I'm forgetting as possible contenders. People who don't have a sufficiently consistent track record to contend for "best living author", but the brilliance of whose best work ranks warrants an honorable mention would include William Vollman, George Saunders, Richard Powers, Michael Chabon, Martin Amis, Salman Rushdie, maybe TC Boyle.

VG, good call on Seamus Heaney. IMHO, Delillo falls far short of the mark established by most of the other names suggested here. I couldn't get through A Suitable Boy, and I finish just about every book I read.

Nabokov, Calvino, and Gaddis would be high on my list of greatest living authors, if only they weren't dead.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Nabokov, Calvino

I think both of those go on my short list for best authors, period. Dead, alive, limbo, anything.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Sure beats doing it on Oprah (I'm looking at you, Cormac).

Im going to have to search for this on Youtube. I had no friggin clue he appeared on her show. What the hell was the man thinking?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Im going to have to search for this on Youtube. I had no friggin clue he appeared on her show. What the hell was the man thinking?

I guess he heard it worked out well for Jonathan Franzen.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
NOt all of us.

I think this is a great short list. I might add Ann Patchett, Peter Carey, probably a few others I'm forgetting as possible contenders. People who don't have a sufficiently consistent track record to contend for "best living author", but the brilliance of whose best work ranks warrants an honorable mention would include William Vollman, George Saunders, Richard Powers, Michael Chabon, Martin Amis, Salman Rushdie, maybe TC Boyle.

VG, good call on Seamus Heaney. IMHO, Delillo falls far short of the mark established by most of the other names suggested here. I couldn't get through A Suitable Boy, and I finish just about every book I read.

Nabokov, Calvino, and Gaddis would be high on my list of greatest living authors, if only they weren't dead.

Your honorable mentions match up with mine almost perfectly. I'd say William T Vollmann will definitely garner a place on the list in the future, if only for the complete edition of Rising Up and Rising Down.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
I can't argue with any of the authors listed so far, except for Isabel Allende (who I find kind of lightweight) and John Banville (who I haven't read--but I'll be sure to check him out). If this isn't limited to novelists, I think Pinter and Heaney should get some consideration. I also agree that Rushdie should be on the list of contenders.

But if I have to pick one, I go with Philip Roth. He's produced so many great works over such a long period of time. Goodbye Columbus was out in 1959 and Everyman in 2006--both are excellent, and there's so many truly great works in between. And he does everything so well: characters, stories, depth and humor. Plus I think his writing is simply beautiful.

Edit: Connemara, what books by Banville would you recommend to start with?

That's a good question. I'd have to say Athena, The Untouchable, and The Newton Letter.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
George R.R. Martin

(Just hope he will stay living long enough to finish the series he's working on.)

I love Martin. He's great.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Your honorable mentions match up with mine almost perfectly. I'd say William T Vollmann will definitely garner a place on the list in the future, if only for the complete edition of Rising Up and Rising Down.

I still haven't read RURD, of for that matter Europa Central. I feel like such a slacker.
blush.gif
I've read pretty much everything else of his. At his best, his novels have an amazing energy, and is short fiction/travel journalism is really powerful.

If we were including playwrights, I'd add Tom Stoppard and Brian Friehl (sp?) as well. Conne, if you don't already know it, I'd strongly recommend Friehl's Translations to you or anyone else interested in "Irish crap".

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

They keep taking it down. Let me know if you find one.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before, Cormac McCarthy. Also mentioned, Umberto Eco. I'll be looking for books mentioned by people on this thread, I'm looking for a good read.

JB

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal favorite is Bret Easton Ellis. Yeh, das right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads