1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Greatest Drycleaning error ever!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GiltEdge, Mar 10, 2011.

1. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Well-Known Member

I picked this up 2 weeks ago and brought it to the city for the first time this week and took it out of the dry cleaner's wrapping today. I went to unbutton my cuffs and noticed something odd...

It went from a regular cleaning to this=

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Luciano Barbera Super 180's suit is almost ruined.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I'd be pisssed.

3. GiltEdge

If you don't see it, they're working buttonholes...that still work, accept it opens up into the lining [​IMG]

4. inimitable

inimitable Well-Known Member

What the hell have they done?

5. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

Okay. I still can't see it, even with your explanation. I see the stitching on the lining, but is that it? I would still have them fix that, but is there something else?

6. WaterlooSunset

WaterlooSunset New Member

Why would they have done anything to the buttons?

7. GiltEdge

Okay. I still can't see it, even with your explanation. I see the stitching on the lining, but is that it? I would still have them fix that, but is there something else?

They sewed the sleeve shut. There is no vent anymore. Have you ever seen a suit look like that before? Exactly because it just isn't supposed to look like that.

8. GiltEdge

Adding onto that. They let out the sleeve so they could take the extra material in the sleeve and sew it to the rest of the sleeve vent.

9. cncrd

cncrd Well-Known Member

Holy shit is right. So they sewed the cuff completely closed? Is that what I'm seeing?

At first I thought they just popped the sleeves buttons off somehow and sewed them back on through the lining. But they actually sewed the cuff opening closed, is that right? Jeezus.

Edit: you answered my question while I was typing. Wow. Never heard of anybody doing anything like that before. I wonder why they did it to just your suit? Or do they sew everyone's cuffs closed?

10. viator

viator Well-Known Member

I wonder if in the cleaning process the buttons were sheared off (happened to me once on a duvet cover) and this was their best guess at how they were supposed to be sewn back on?

11. GBear

GBear Well-Known Member

What the heck man.

12. bluetree110

bluetree110 Well-Known Member

Wow, I would tend to agree that they literally ruined the suit. Why would they have done this? Did you ask them to do alterations?

13. GiltEdge

Holy shit is right. So they sewed the cuff completely closed? Is that what I'm seeing?

At first I thought they just popped the sleeves buttons off somehow and sewed them back on through the lining. But they actually sewed the cuff opening closed, is that right? Jeezus.

Edit: you answered my question while I was typing. Wow. Never heard of anybody doing anything like that before. I wonder why they did it to just your suit? Or do dhtey sew everyone's cuffs closed?

Exactly. It cannot be fixed because they literally cut off the extra fabric in the sleeve that the buttons were sewed to.

14. GiltEdge

Wow, I would tend to agree that they literally ruined the suit. Why would they have done this? Did you ask them to do alterations?

No, no alts. The man didn't speak any english, but said something like "buttons have holes, why?" I said "It's a handmade suit, of course there are working buttonholes. I just want a wet cleaning"

15. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

But if you took it in for a cleaning, and it came out like this, I'd be pissed and storming back in there and threatening to sew their assh0les closed. kidding. you get more with honey than with sh!t...or however the saying goes.

Edit: see you only went for dry cleaning. This is so bizarre, I wouldn't know whether to yell or cry. I'd probably do both, since that's what I usually do when I can't make up my mind. Navy or gray suit? I'll just buy both!

16. cncrd

cncrd Well-Known Member

Exactly. It cannot be fixed because they literally cut off the extra fabric in the sleeve that the buttons were sewed to.

Speechless. Have you used this cleaner previously?

Because they definitely owe you a new suit.

That's abou the stupidest thing I've ever seen anyone do. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly do that, let alone a drycleaner that has presumably handled thousands of suits...

17. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

I understand now. Wow. That sucks, but it's not the worse mistake ever. The cleaners ruined my wife's wedding dress 2 weeks before our wedding. Luckily, they paid for it without much of a fight.

18. Macallan

Macallan Well-Known Member

They definitely owe you a new suit, just do not ask for $54m

19. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I understand now. Wow. That sucks, but it's not the worse mistake ever. The cleaners ruined my wife's wedding dress 2 weeks before our wedding. Luckily, they paid for it without much of a fight.

Ouch I bet that didn't go over too well [​IMG]

20. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I'd be pisssed.

Pictures also look to me like there is a big brown stain at the end of the sleeve. Looks like someone dipped the thing in coffee. Maybe it's just the light.