1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Great Concerts

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by rdawson808, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Have you been to a show where one of the warm-up acts gave the main attraction a real run? The Tragically Hip headlined a festival line-up at the Markham Fairgrounds in the mid-90s where Midnight Oil played right before them and just tore it up.

The Hip are no slouch themselves, but their fans can be really surly and downright dangerous when liquored up ...[​IMG]

The Clash opening for The Who
    In retrospect, whoever opened up for Rush any of the three or four times I saw them as an adolescent.

And I'm just now recalling that I saw John Lee Hooker open for Van Morrison, which was a pretty sweet double-bill.

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Have you been to a show where one of the warm-up acts gave the main attraction a real run? The Tragically Hip headlined a festival line-up at the Markham Fairgrounds in the mid-90s where Midnight Oil played right before them and just tore it up. The Hip are no slouch themselves, but their fans can be really surly and downright dangerous when liquored up ...[​IMG]
    I have had a few like that, actually. Most recent was Combichrist opening for KMFDM. CC were such an impressively well oiled and intense project that the now past their prime song recycling KMFDM never stood a chance. And many years ago, Life of Agony & Machinehead completely overshadowed Megadeth (which I never liked but still). I am sure there were others... Neurosis opening for Soulfly was rather impressive. They went in to the noise & ambient realm for a good 10 minutes which was pretty much mesmerising. On a sidenote I am still hoping to see Front 242 & Bad Religion at some point. Have wanted to for years but they never come near this area unfortunately...

3. lawyerdad

I have had a few like that, actually.
    Most recent was Combichrist opening for KMFDM. CC were such an impressively well oiled and intense project that the now past their prime song recycling KMFDM never stood a chance.

And many years ago, Life of Agony & Machinehead completely overshadowed Megadeth (which I never liked but still).

I am sure there were others... Neurosis opening for Soulfly was rather impressive. They went in to the noise & ambient realm for a good 10 minutes which was pretty much mesmerising.

On a sidenote I am still hoping to see Front 242 & Bad Religion at some point. Have wanted to for years but they never come near this area unfortunately...

Damn it, I hate it when people post about music and I've never heard of half the bands - reminds me I'm getting old.

4. skalogre

Damn it, I hate it when people post about music and I've never heard of half the bands - reminds me I'm getting old.

You know, other than Combichrist, I think they are all in their 30's or 40's now actually.

5. lawyerdad

You know, other than Combichrist, I think they are all in their 30's or 40's now actually.

Gee thanks, that make me feel so much better. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. skalogre

Gee thanks, that make me feel so much better. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I meant they are not new bands, damn it!

7. lawyerdad

[​IMG]

I meant they are not new bands, damn it!

LOL, I knew that. Just highlights how out of touch with the music scene I've become. [​IMG]

8. skalogre

LOL, I knew that. Just highlights how out of touch with the music scene I've become. [​IMG]

Damn kids.

9. lawyerdad

Damn kids.

Eh? What did you say? Gotta speak up, son.

10. skalogre

Eh? What did you say? Gotta speak up, son.

Calm down, don't drop your dentures in the prune juice now

[​IMG]

11. Faded501s

Faded501s Well-Known Member

Last year I saw Soundgarden in Tampa at (I think) the SunDome. Not only did Chris Cornell totally rock out with Rage but, and I still can't believe this, the place was nearly empty...like 25% capacity. Whenever the mosh pit "settled down" we ended up being like 30 feet from the stage. Very cool experience!

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Mr. Bungle was something else.

I used to see Primus when they were playing parties at the student co-ops in Berkeley. It was kind of shocking to realize a few years later that they'd made it (relatively) big and were on MTV, etc.

Yeah, Mike Patton's a staggeringly talented musician. I haven't heard Fantomas or any of his other bands..how are they?

koji

13. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Just saw Pink Martini last night at Wolf Trap. Aside from the pain of getting their (damned Virginia commuters) the show was f-ing BRILLIANT. Loved every minute of it.

bob

14. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

I used to go to concerts all the time in highschool and my first two years of college.

Favorite: AC/DC

Seen:
    Black Sabbath
    Ozzy Osbourne
    The Who
    Counting Crows
    Black Crows
    Oasis
    Marilyn Manson
    AC/DC
    Bon Jovi
    Incubus
    Slipknot
    U2
    Godsmacked
    Dashboard Confessional
    Aerosmith
    Pantera

15. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Frank Zappa at the Oval cricket ground London or was it Alice Cooper.
    Dionne Warwick at Stowe School.

16. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Saw LCD Soundsystem last week at the El Rey on Wilshire. Awesome show.

17. Otto

Otto Active Member

Robert Randolf and the Family Band were amazing when I saw them live. The Polyophonic Spree are very entertaining as well. I've seen some really big acts and I must say I prefer the intamacy of a small stage.