1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Grammar/Spelling/Syntax/English lessons

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 12, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I was an editor on my school's law review. This stuff gives me nightmares.

By the way, why not use italics for the Power to the People movement. That, more or less, eliminates all of the ambiguities.

2. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

assume this is a law firm. which is correct? (there may be more than one correct answer)

smith, young, bradly & jones

smith, young, bradly and jones

smith, young, bradly, and jones

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

assume this is a law firm. which is correct? (there may be more than one correct answer) smith, young, bradly & jones smith, young, bradly and jones smith, young, bradly, and jones
    I personally prefer number three, number one is the next least offensive, and number two should burn in a firey hell. Although I'd probably like it better if the names were capitalized.

5. matadorpoeta

I personally prefer number three, number one is the next least offensive, and number two should burn in a firey hell.

Although I'd probably like it better if the names were capitalized.

how about this:

we went swimming, fishing, and hiking.
    we went swimming, fishing and hiking.
    we went swimming, fishing & hiking.

does the same rule apply?

6. Tokyo Slim

how about this:

we went swimming, fishing, and hiking.
    we went swimming, fishing and hiking.
    we went swimming, fishing & hiking.

does the same rule apply?

I believe so, except that i'd never put an ampersand in a sentance.

So in this case, I'd pick number one, with two and three both being incorrect.

7. matadorpoeta

I believe so, except that i'd never put an ampersand in a sentance.

So in this case, I'd pick number one, with two and three both being incorrect.

so 1 and 2 are both correct?

8. Tokyo Slim

so 1 and 2 are both correct?
    When you use a comma to seperate items, it acts as a pause. So unless "swimming" is one thing, and "fishing and hiking" are another thing, then you need three commas. Swimming, fishing, and hiking. In your previous example, the ampersand (&) takes the place of the word "and", the fact that it's a character and not a letter gives one a natural pause. A comma before a character is clumsy and unneccesary. The fact that its a title and not a sentance allows the use of an ampersand, which normally would be frowned upon in traditional writing.

9. matadorpoeta

When you use a comma to seperate items, it acts as a pause. So unless "swimming" is one thing, and "fishing and hiking" are another thing, then you need three commas.

Swimming, fishing, and hiking.

In your previous example, the ampersand (&) takes the place of the word "and", the fact that it's a character and not a letter gives one a natural pause. A comma before a character is clumsy and unneccesary.

so then it seems to me that 2 is incorrect.

10. Tokyo Slim

so then it seems to me that 2 is incorrect.

That is what I said, two and three are incorrect.

11. matadorpoeta

got it. thanks. i misread post #186.

12. Tokyo Slim

Then again, I don't think anyone really gives a shit anymore, unless you are editing for a newspaper, or want your suicide note to have perfect grammar, or whatever.

hellz man U kan evun spel lik thiz and peeps unn'er 20 wil hav no probz unn'erstandin what you sayin.

13. matadorpoeta

14. Tokyo Slim

for my suicide note.[​IMG]

Ah then, make sure to capitalize all proper nouns, and don't be afraid of the semi-colon! Always a suicide note favorite of mine.

15. matadorpoeta

Ah then, make sure to capitalize all proper nouns, and don't be afraid of the semi-colon! Always a suicide note favorite of mine.
    i often use semi colons, though i don't really know the rules that pertain to them. i just go with my gut. everytime i use one in microsoft word, the spell checker says, "use of semi colon. consider revising," as though there were never a right time to use one.

capitalizing proper nouns is against my aesthetic. you know that.

16. Tokyo Slim

i often use semi colons, though i don't really know the rules that pertain to them. i just go with my gut. everytime i use one in microsoft word, the spell checker says, "use of semi colon. consider revising," as though there were never a right time to use one.

capitalizing proper nouns is against my aesthetic. you know that.

Spell checker is retarded; Semicolons are awesome.

17. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

The hyphen may be more appropriate there -- not that the semicolon is wrong, though.

18. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

A, B, C, and D
    That final serial, or Oxford, comma is generally omitted in modern British English (and in US journalism), contrary to general US English use, and Fowler's, too. If there are too many ands in the area, however, that final comma aids clarity.
    The ampersand problems relates, I think, to proper nouns in lists. Turnbull & Asser but not ...fishing & hiking, unless used as informal shorthand.

19. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

i often use semi colons, though I don't really know the rules that pertain to them. i just go with my gut. everytime i use one in microsoft word, the spell checker says, "use of semi colon. consider revising." as though there were never a right time to use one.
    Spell checker is retarded; Semicolons are awesome.

The semi-colon is often used to join together two independent clauses -- in other words, it joins two clauses that could be sentences. For example: "matadorpoeta drives an Aston-Martin; however, Tokyo Slim drives a Bentley."

These two clauses could be separate sentences: "matadorpoeta drives an Aston-Martin. Tokyo Slim drives a Bentley." However, when you use a semi-colon, you are generally suggesting that there is a relationship between the sentences, but you are not making that relationship clear.

Usually, you can tell from the context what the relationship is. In the example above, the relationship is probably contrast; you could also use "but" to make this clear: "matadorpoeta drives an Aston-Martin, but Tokyo Slim drives a Bentley." When you use a semi-colon, it is often because you want to make the reader think about the relationship. This is useful in many situations, such as when writing cautiously, ironically, or humorously. [​IMG]

20. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I find periods and commas to be overused in general. Both are aesthetically displeasing -- who wants text "full of birdshot and wormholes?"

(Quoted Robert Bringhurst, author of The Elements of Typographic Style)