1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

GQ's essentials for fall

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acidboy, Jul 24, 2006.

1. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

ok, discuss: [​IMG] [​IMG] oversized sunglasses [​IMG] duffel coat [​IMG] gray [​IMG] tweed jacket plaid shirt & tie [​IMG] double breasted suit single button suit

2. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

[​IMG] lightweight turtleneck [​IMG] fatigue jacket [​IMG] knee length overcoat

3. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

I LOVE the versace gray overcoat. If I only had $5k to blow...

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I like the duffel and the brown herringbone overcoat, along with the DB and the single-button SB. Interesting that the DB made the cut.

The gray DB with bellbottoms is ridiculous.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't wear any of it but I don't hate it. It's worlds better than AmJack or slugwear.

6. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

I think the DB suit looks goofy. While I like fitted suits (though SB), I would never have anything that tight, it looks like a girl suit. And I think the entire purpose of wearing a DB suit is to be imposing. Nothing has the commanding presence of a well-cut DB suit, and that one just doesn't even come close.

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

The gray DB with bellbottoms is ridiculous.[/quote]

this is dior homme take of 70's YSL

8. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

became gray. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

The knee length overcoats are interesting. Though I prefer a below the calf overcoat I will check them out.

10. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] LMAO! Though most of the gay guys I know would have much more sense than to wear any of that stuff.

11. gza

gza Well-Known Member

1) After seeing huge sunglasses become the ubiquitous trend in women's fashion, it's kind of disappointing to see it also spill over into men's.

2) Although I appreciate incongruity on occasion, the shortness of the coat combined with the classic duffel features doesn't appeal to me.

3) I like the bootcut odd trousers (not the suit pants) allright, and the melange sweater and gray bomber.

4) Too many dark colors that don't complement each other well.

5) The DB is definitely sharp. Wider lapels like this look better on a DB, IMHO, than the skinny ones in the previous suit. The single-button suit is good-looking but very conventional from a fashion-y point of view (short jacket, slim cut).

6) What can be said about a turtleneck? I think calling it an "essential" of the season is like saying a t-shirt is an "essential" of summer.

7) Looks A&F-ish for the most part. I kind of like the distressed black denim, though.

8) The overcoat on the left has more structure than I like, especially for wearing over a hoodie. The other one is fine but not exciting. For me, playing around with the length of a coat doesn't constitute a major innovation.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I think the DB suit looks goofy. While I like fitted suits (though SB), I would never have anything that tight, it looks like a girl suit. And I think the entire purpose of wearing a DB suit is to be imposing. Nothing has the commanding presence of a well-cut DB suit, and that one just doesn't even come close.
    That's actually a rather British cut; quite traditional on certain streets. As for large sunglasses, those ones are unappealing. Only the '60s styled oversized cubist black acetate frames are apropos.

13. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

[​IMG] LK, there's a difference between British cut and looking like your suit shrunk on you. [​IMG] I like the overcoats, the brown herringbone tweed especially. It's about time those made a comeback. Double breasted one is different and nice. Tweed jacket is pretty nifty, I've rarely seen 3-roll-2s in GQ's pages.

14. LabelKing

[​IMG] LK, there's a difference between British cut and looking like your suit shrunk on you. [​IMG] I like the overcoats, the brown herringbone tweed especially. It's about time those made a comeback.
    What about these suits of New York dandy mayor, Jimmy Walker: [​IMG]

15. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] LMAO! Though most of the gay guys I know would have much more sense than to wear any of that stuff.
    I just have bad references back to A Flock of Seagulls with that pic.

16. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

That's actually a rather British cut; quite traditional on certain streets.

As for large sunglasses, those ones are unappealing. Only the '60s styled oversized cubist black acetate frames are apropos.

But that tight and short? I know (and love) very fitted English-style suits, but that looks like it's actually pulling at the waist, as opposed to tailored perfectly for the wearer.

17. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I think the looks are good for what they are: fashion for very slim and edgy guys. I probably couldn't wear any of the sizes or cuts here, but there are some good ideas. Particularly "gray". The suits, overall, aren't my thing, but casual looks aren't bad at all.

18. LabelKing

But that tight and short? I know (and love) very fitted English-style suits, but that looks like it's actually pulling at the waist, as opposed to tailored perfectly for the wearer.
    The general style is more English either way; however, they usually aren't that short or tight. The best look for a double-breasted is when the bottom button is unfastened and the quarters are pulled open when sitting down or in motion; very elegant. Personally, I think most of the GQ elements are rather conservative.

19. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

Where are the description of the outfits? Most of this looks pretty Tom Ford'esque to me, and his 70s fetish.
    The models look like a boy's band cast. Maybe you look pretty sharp dressed like that at 18 [​IMG]

!luc

20. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Where are the description of the outfits? Most of this looks pretty Tom Ford'esque to me, and his 70s fetish.
    The models look like a boy's band cast. Maybe you look pretty sharp dressed like that at 18 [​IMG]

!luc

tom ford yes like the 70's but he would never make anything so short for suiting as he feels it looks femine but if you check the winter dior homme shoe it does not look as bad as it does on that modal in fact!