• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ mag's (flawed?) take on Dry Denim

lapu lapu

Reaction score
Q: What's the deal with raw or selvage jeans? I've heard that you can't wash them because they'll lose their color. True?

A: Trend victims are walking around in filthy jeans because they are afraid to wash them and make them look slightly lighter. There is a natural life cycle to jeans. They start out dark blue, they get washed and worn, and eventually they wind up abraded and maybe in Africa with all the old CK T-shirts. Made by using the old-style looms, new selvage jeans are full of dark dye. One way to try to maintain the dark color is to wash them inside out with cold water, and some people use Woolite Dark Laundry to prevent undue color loss. When they get too light for fashion, buy another pair and give the medium blue ones to a charity or a trend-insensitive friend.

Is it just me or has this guy got it all wrong here?
confused.gif

Mr Sola

Reaction score
I read that and wondered where he got his info from. I was actually thinking about sending him an email. But then I realized that he probably won't read it.

lapu lapu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sola
I read that and wondered where he got his info from. I was actually thinking about sending him an email. But then I realized that he probably won't read it.
Yeah...considering dude probably doesn't do his research correctly. Or at all!

Brian SD

Reaction score
Well his response is very GQ. I would have expected to hear such a thing. I also wouldn't expect a GQ writer to know anything about the "natural life cycle" of jeans.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Yes, everyone please send there worn in SDs, Eternals, Sugarcanes, RPMs, and Samurai jeans to me. I'll be fashion insensitive and take them off your hands.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American GQ is now a joke. I had a subscription years ago but discontinued when they morphed into a Maxim wannabe. I'll only read the British version when I can get my hands on an issue.

I believe the guy who does the Q&A for GQ is very trad. I wouldn't expect him to know or have an informed opinion about raw denim.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though he may be wrong in an absolute since, people do overstate the importance of not washing your dry denim, in the sense that wearing your RRDS for a year without washing them isn't going to give you these magical pants that mirror your inner soul. Yes, waiting to wash your jeans will give you better fading and distressing, but only to a point, and the difference isn't as marked as people make it out to be. I think a lot of it is just an elitist desire to exclude the teeming A&F pre-faded masses.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I think a lot of it is just an elitist desire to exclude the teeming A&F pre-faded masses.
You hit the nail on the head. it's a mark of distinction between "us" and "them." My take, send them to a dry cleaner to preserve the color, but definately clean them regularly.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
The had a feature about straight leg jeans in the issue with Tom Cruise on the cover. It's funny cause that had new standards in the in there. It almost seems like they don't know what they are talking about.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
The had a feature about straight leg jeans in the issue with Tom Cruise on the cover. It's funny cause that had new standards in the in there. It almost seems like they don't know what they are talking about.

GQ routinely plugs an item on one page and debases it on another - in the same issue. They're so hip they're schizophrenic.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always find it funny to when there is a new ad in GQ, and then a feature of it. I really do wonder how much the features are dictated by dolla's.

Max

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I always find it funny to when there is a new ad in GQ, and then a feature of it. I really do wonder how much the features are dictated by dolla's.
Stop the presses!

Metal Circus

Reaction score
Well, the fact that he considers dry and selvage denim to be the same thing speaks volumes.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
All of them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads