1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Got my shirts back from MyTailor.com! How do they look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bamaster, Jun 5, 2009.

1. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Thomas Mason books. If they don't happen to bring those books, ask for something of similar quality.

2. bamaster

bamaster Active Member

Ok, so I washed the shirts, in "Hand Washables" mode. Then dried them in "Low Delicate" mode. We have shrinkage.

Here are some updated pics. I put on the same jeans for comparison. [​IMG]

It fits more snugly. Sleeves look and feel better. The yoke seems to be at nearly the same place. One pic with my arm extended, the side bows out. But I think I need it there.

Thoughts after one wash? Better, yes? I'm excited about the next order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last photo shows pulling at the buttons. Not sure if there is a way to avoid this, huh?

[​IMG]

3. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

How's the collar fit? It looks like it shrunk as well?

4. bamaster

bamaster Active Member

How's the collar fit? It looks like it shrunk as well?

Didn't even think about that.

Buttoned, I can still get 3 or 4 finger under the collar. Plenty of room.

I don't wear ties often at all (weddings and interviews only [​IMG]) so I'm rarely button that high. But all four of these shirts are button downs. My next couple will have a traditional collar.

I'll take the shirts to the cleaners tomorrow. The collar and cuffs will be better shaped than my ironing.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

^ Looks better after the wash.

I wouldn't worry about the slight pulling in the last pic, as you probably won't be using your 'Supaman Pose' that often [​IMG]

If it was me, I'd ask for slightly slimmer and shorter sleeves.

To me, the biggest issue is the shoulders, which I think would look better if they were shorter/narrower by at least a ½ inch (on each side).

6. bamaster

bamaster Active Member

^ Looks better after the wash.

I wouldn't worry about the slight pulling in the last pic, as you probably won't be using your 'Supaman Pose' that often [​IMG]

If it was me, I'd ask for slightly slimmer and shorter sleeves.

To me, the biggest issue is the shoulders, which I think would look better if they were shorter/narrower by at least a ½ inch (on each side).

So what you're saying is that I'm NOT Supaman? [​IMG]

Slimmer sleeves... hmmm... I will definitely discuss that. My guess is that the armholes will remain large to allow for movement. But we'll see. I dropped the shirts off at the cleaners today. I'm curious to see hom much more shrinkage we'll get.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

What I meant was, that if it only shows pulling when you stand like that - and if you don't routinely stand like that - I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Limniscate

Limniscate Well-Known Member

I agree that the shoulders are a little too big. My two mytailor shirts are also a little big in the shoulders.

9. bamaster

bamaster Active Member

Excellent feedback guys! I'm scheduled to meet the MyTailor.com rep, Mr. Ram Keswani, on Thursday.

For those that are interested, I wanted to know which fabrics I selected, so I sent them an email and got an answer.

All these shirts are Two-Ply Superfine Cotton.
    That first shirt is under the Twill Fancy Stripe section, model F5729 (HE-7488).

According to the reply, all these shirts were from the "HE-" manufacturer. Anyone know what that is? Hemrajani, maybe?

10. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

That fit real looks good.

I recently got some MTM from Mytailor. They factor shrinkage into the fit -- they expect you to wash them.

These are well made shirts -- you don't need to treat them like they are delicate That means they have durable fabric and strong seams.

Go ahead and wash them. They are designed to stand up to a washing machine.

11. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

Have you considered a split yoke for your next order? I like the visual interest it adds to the back of the shirt, especially with striped cloth.

12. Phantom9309

Phantom9309 Well-Known Member

So I'm interested in making an appointment to get sized up when their rep comes to Minneapolis. I was wondering if you guys tipped the rep or was there a sizing fee?