• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon Yao

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Gordon is bettter than Chan. I will see him in SF. I wil see if he has a Black with white pinstripe. Gonna bea DB.

kbuzz

Reaction score
i have had good results regarding jackets with chan. The pants have been fair. The quality has been a notch below what i expected.

as such can someone detail how yao is a better then chan., Im willing to pay more but not for a lateral move

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
i have had good results regarding jackets with chan. The pants have been fair. The quality has been a notch below what i expected. as such can someone detail how yao is a better then chan., Im willing to pay more but not for a lateral move
Not sure about Chan pricing, but I think even if it were a lat move quality-wise from Chan, Yao's prices might be lower.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yao will also asks what kind of style that you are looking for and he will do it that way. With chan I don't remember him asking .

Prices are a bit cheaper with Yao with more handstitching all around than Chan.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he is also very accessable and nice. after seeing him yesterday, I've already called him like 3 times on his cell phone to change/clarify details today.

phooi

Reaction score
Would any of you mind sharing details around what you purchased, fabric, and pricing? Thanks!

tbone226

Reaction score
Does Gordon Yao have a website? I'd like to find out where his shop in HK is etc.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phooi
Would any of you mind sharing details around what you purchased, fabric, and pricing? Thanks!

Purchased a grey pinstripe (2 Piece) suit while in HK. Fabric was from Scabal and cost $1400US. Very happy with it.

darkoak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I got one about a month ago when I was in HK. Workmanship is better than chan in my opinion. Prices start at $900. I picked a scabal fabric and it costs $1400. I will try to get some pics up.
Dragon, can they finish a suit in 5 days? I'm going to be in HK for a week.

olemungu

Reaction score
Just came back from an appointment with Gordon Yao in Chicago. He is amazingly affable and approachable.

Regarding pricing: CMT: 700 for a suit. 500 for a coat. 200 for trousers. The VBC 120's were around $1050, H. Lessers were around $1300, Lumb's Golden Bale was closer to $1800(?). He has many of the H&S including Escorials. The prices for H&S were a bit higher than the basic Lessers. I picked a solid blue from the Lessers for $1300.

He asked me what style I wanted and we went through step by step to create the style for me. I asked for Anderson and Sheppard style cut and he was more than willing to do it. He said many of his customers came from A&S so he us accustomed to its style.

Like traveling tailors, he took measurements, pictures and a fitting suit to get a good look. Only downer is that he will not accomodate fittings so the first suit is the try out suit. I am looking forward to the suit arriving in early fall.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
Dragon, can they finish a suit in 5 days? I'm going to be in HK for a week.

He did it for me in 3 days. You have to go for fittings everyday though which could hamper your time and schedule.

AMC

Reaction score
I had suits made by both Chan and Yao in January. Both were excellent quality and service. Prices were comparable (1400 for Scabal at Yao, less for Zegna at Chan).

First fitting on Monday, suits were ready on Thursday/Friday with fittings just about every day.

Personally, I prefer the Chan suit (even though I like the Scabal fabric more), as it is a bit closer to what I had in mind. I was quite specific in my instructions, and Patrick seemed to pick up what I was going for a bit better than Yao did.

You really can't go wrong with either.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many here have actually used Gordon now?

Gatsby

Reaction score
I have been absent from the forums for a while, but I will definitely give Gordon Yao a try sometime soon and post my findings. (I am based in HK at present)

I have had a VBC 3 piece SB made from WW Chan in HK previously. While the suit is very well constructed, I was not particularly ecstatic about the fit or the service. With regards to fit, the jacket seemed a bit too stiff and the trousers quite wide fitting. Perhaps this was my own inability to voice the exact look I was hoping for (something slightly more contemporary). The suit will have its fair share of wears through the years, particuarly for formal business occassions. As for service, I was mainly handled by a junior sales staff and a fitter who did not speak any English. Again, in retrospect I should have specifically asked for Patrick.

From the thoughts posted on this thread, it appears that Yao may be able to provide a less-classic SR, more modern Italian style cut. While I do NOT want a Dior rip-off, I do want something more fluid, particularly along the lines of Attolini (with a heavy, heavy lapel roll).

Any pics of Yao's work by chance or will I need to be the sacrifical lamb?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads