1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gordon Yao

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dragon8, Feb 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

yes. Deal with Yao directly and not through AC

2. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Folows the same tour schedule as Ascot chang

June 4-10 in NY at the Peninsula Hotel
    June 12 in Philadelphia at Sheraton Philadelphia city Center
    June 14-15 in Washington DC the Madison Hotel
    June 17 in Dallas the Westin Galleria
    June 19-20 in Chicago Fairmont Hotel
    June 22-23 in Los angeles at the Peninsula Hotel
    June 25-26 in San Francisco Fairmont Hotel

Does he do all the ACtours or just the autumn one?

3. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but according to the Ascot Chang folks, he will be in the June tour.

4. dragon8

He tours with AC twice a year.

5. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

about $500 or so more expensive. call Yao directly

You kindly gave out his US-based cell phone. Is there another way to reach him prior to his arrival in the US (w/o going through AC)?

6. dragon8

I don't have his shop number in Hk but he hotel number is 85227215215 and ask themn to connect you to Gordon Yao tailors. his email is yaogordon@gmail.com

7. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

I just got back from my first meeting with Gordon Yao. He was very pleasant and seemed quite competent. He didn't trash the fit of the jacket (from another tailor) that I was wearing as some tailors are wont to do and he did point out the one area where it could stand some improvement. In addition to the usual Vitale Barberis and no-name Italian fabrics, he had a good selection of Holland and Sherry books at very respectable prices. He also had a couple Lesser books at a surprisingly small premium over H&S. Obviously, the proof will be in the fit and workmanship of the jacket I ordered, but so far, Mr. Yao gets a solid A from me.

8. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Well-Known Member

glad to hear that, I am going to see him on Sat.

9. SuitingStyle

Had my fitting today with Gordon, very nice experience. Very reasonablly priced for CMT suits. Inspected couple his jackets , seemed very well made, looking forward to see how it turns out. Anyone else went this week? Would like to hear other people's experience.

10. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

I just got back from my first meeting with Gordon Yao. He was very pleasant and seemed quite competent. He didn't trash the fit of the jacket (from another tailor) that I was wearing as some tailors are wont to do and he did point out the one area where it could stand some improvement. In addition to the usual Vitale Barberis and no-name Italian fabrics, he had a good selection of Holland and Sherry books at very respectable prices. He also had a couple Lesser books at a surprisingly small premium over H&S. Obviously, the proof will be in the fit and workmanship of the jacket I ordered, but so far, Mr. Yao gets a solid A from me.

Gordon is an excellent tailor and certainly better than Chan.

I have been using him for a number years and would certainly NOT change.

11. dragon8

I agree that Gordon is bettter than Chan. I will see him in SF. I wil see if he has a Black with white pinstripe. Gonna bea DB.

12. kbuzz

kbuzz Well-Known Member

i have had good results regarding jackets with chan. The pants have been fair. The quality has been a notch below what i expected.

as such can someone detail how yao is a better then chan., Im willing to pay more but not for a lateral move

13. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

i have had good results regarding jackets with chan. The pants have been fair. The quality has been a notch below what i expected. as such can someone detail how yao is a better then chan., Im willing to pay more but not for a lateral move
    Not sure about Chan pricing, but I think even if it were a lat move quality-wise from Chan, Yao's prices might be lower.

14. dragon8

Yao will also asks what kind of style that you are looking for and he will do it that way. With chan I don't remember him asking .

Prices are a bit cheaper with Yao with more handstitching all around than Chan.

15. SuitingStyle

he is also very accessable and nice. after seeing him yesterday, I've already called him like 3 times on his cell phone to change/clarify details today.

16. phooi

phooi Well-Known Member

Would any of you mind sharing details around what you purchased, fabric, and pricing? Thanks!

17. tbone226

tbone226 Well-Known Member

Does Gordon Yao have a website? I'd like to find out where his shop in HK is etc.

18. SuitingStyle

CMT is around 700USD for a 2 piece

19. dragon8

Would any of you mind sharing details around what you purchased, fabric, and pricing? Thanks!

Purchased a grey pinstripe (2 Piece) suit while in HK. Fabric was from Scabal and cost $1400US. Very happy with it.

20. darkoak

darkoak Well-Known Member

I got one about a month ago when I was in HK. Workmanship is better than chan in my opinion. Prices start at $900. I picked a scabal fabric and it costs $1400. I will try to get some pics up.
    Dragon, can they finish a suit in 5 days? I'm going to be in HK for a week.