• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Google Nexus 7

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its an e-reader with a ton of features, not the ipad 3

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think its ok and a great price but it lacks features such as extendable memory which is important in this day and age

Users are pretty much expected to take advantage of the google cloud to store things and share with all their devices. Local storage is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Users are pretty much expected to take advantage of the google cloud to store things and share with all their devices. Local storage is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

I think that's Google's idea behind not having SD-card slots on their Nexus devices. Same thing with the Google Chromebooks, which won't do anything without an internet connection. Problem is, if you don't have internet access, you can't get at your stuff.

Myself, I wouldn't be particularly happy putting my personal, private and confindential data into Google's cloud....

From the Google T&Cs...
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
:censored:

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues using their complimentary $25 play credit? I tried using it but ended up having to complete a purchase with my cc. When I contacted support they refunded the amount and instructed that I link my account with a valid form of payment. What's odd is that I used google wallet to purchase the nexus one and that worked without a hitch, obviously.

blairh

Reaction score
There will always be a need for local storage. People don't always have access to the internet.

My guess is that the Nexus 7 is a hit and there will be larger GB options down the road.

PooJou

Reaction score

There will always be a need for local storage. People don't always have access to the internet.
My guess is that the Nexus 7 is a hit and there will be larger GB options down the road.

The point of this device is as mentioned above - to sell Google's cloud services - hence the lack Of local storage. I mean at the end of the day, the fact that this thing is so popular is kind of a side effect.

Also, I never don't have Internet... Local storage is the past - even at home all you need to do is stream off a big storage cache somewhere, which this thing excels at.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think its ok and a great price but it lacks features such as extendable memory which is important in this day and age

This got me thinking about the last time I used some kind of extendable memory technology. I can't even remember. It hasnt been in the last 5 years.

blairh

Reaction score

The point of this device is as mentioned above - to sell Google's cloud services - hence the lack Of local storage. I mean at the end of the day, the fact that this thing is so popular is kind of a side effect.
Also, I never don't have Internet... Local storage is the past - even at home all you need to do is stream off a big storage cache somewhere, which this thing excels at.

Well I totally disagree. Yes, the point of the device is, in part, to sell media from the Google Play store. But not everyone has constant 24/7 access to the net. The number one scenario is airplanes. Yes, wi-fi on airplanes continues to spread, but it's not something to date where you find it universal. Ditto trains. And buses too. The three most popular methods of transportation, cars aside.

I'm sorry but local storage is absolutely not a thing of the past. You really think we aren't going to see a 128 GB iPad at some point? Come on man.

Same thing applies to smartphones.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I totally disagree. Yes, the point of the device is, in part, to sell media from the Google Play store. But not everyone has constant 24/7 access to the net. The number one scenario is airplanes. Yes, wi-fi on airplanes continues to spread, but it's not something to date where you find it universal. Ditto trains. And buses too. The three most popular methods of transportation, cars aside.
I'm sorry but local storage is absolutely not a thing of the past. You really think we aren't going to see a 128 GB iPad at some point? Come on man.
Same thing applies to smartphones.

I think you're patently wrong if you believe the Nexus 7 and iPad are meant to go head to head. iPad's larger screen and other apps allow it to be a pseudo laptop/desktop replacement device while the Nexus 7 is occupying a middle space between a smartphone and a laptop more toward the dead center.

Smart Phone _______Nexus 7________Laptop

Smart Phone _______________iPad___Laptop

Also, with Google Fiber coming out with incredibly fast internet speeds and 1tb of Cloud storage. Of course they're banking on you using their Cloud services. Where will you use the device? At home likely 90% of the time. If not, then get the 16gb version and don't load up a ton of 4gb+ movies (get the lower res 800mb versions). Etc.

FYI, I only have 3gb of storage used on my Galaxy Nexus phone after 6 months of ownership.

I'm sure we'll see a 32gb + version with the next gen if the sales of the 16gb are satisfactory to Google.

*edit* I don't see Google going with high capacity tablets anytime soon.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score

I think you're patently wrong if you believe the Nexus 7 and iPad are meant to go head to head. iPad's larger screen and other apps allow it to be a pseudo laptop/desktop replacement device while the Nexus 7 is occupying a middle space between a smartphone and a laptop more toward the dead center.
Also, with Google Fiber coming out with incredibly fast internet speeds and 1tb of Cloud storage. Of course they're banking on you using their Cloud services. Where will you use the device? At home likely 90% of the time. If not, then get the 16gb version and don't load up a ton of 4gb+ movies (get the lower res 800mb versions). Etc.
FYI, I only have 3gb of storage used on my Galaxy Nexus phone after 6 months of ownership.
I'm sure we'll see a 32gb + version with the next gen if the sales of the 16gb are satisfactory to Google.
*edit* I don't see Google going with high capacity tablets anytime soon.

Of course they go head to head. They are both tablets. You're telling me someone wasn't contemplating an iPad and then opted to get the Nexus 7 just because it was cheaper? Come on.

A more direct competition will be the Nexus 7 and the smaller iPad coming this fall. But in the current market I'm sure there are plenty of consumers debating an iPad or a Nexus 7.

I think you are underestimating how often people use their tablets outside of their homes. Every time I'm on a plane or train I see a ton of iPad's.

What I was originally saying is that local storage is not a thing of the past. Nothing you are saying is really proving otherwise but you are making some other random points.

The fact that you've chosen to use only 3 GB of storage on your Nexus means absolutely nothing in general. Your personal usage of cloud services does not dictate what most consumers will do. Do you have any doubt that we are going to see a 64 GB iPhone this fall? Or a 64 GB iPad will remain in Apple's lineup next spring with the next iPad? Come on.

Yes, cloud services provide consumers more opportunities to rely less on local storage but it simply becomes an option versus a trend that will mean less local storage available on smartphones and tablets.

Also, you are stating that you are sure we'll see a 32 GB Nexus 7 down the road so essentially you are agreeing with me.

Oh you have an edit? You don't see them going with high capacity tablets anytime soon? Which means what? 64 GB?

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*edit* I don't see Google going with high capacity tablets anytime soon

AFAICT it's only the Google Nexus devices that don't have SD-card storage options. Most other Android devices I've seen, both phones and tablets, have SD-card slots. I've got 48GB storage on my Galaxy S, 16GB internal, 32GB SD-card, and it's quite full of music, photos, videos, etc. Cloud storage is just not an option for me, because if there's no internet, it would suck not been able to get at my stuff.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course they go head to head. They are both tablets. You're telling me someone wasn't contemplating an iPad and then opted to get the Nexus 7 just because it was cheaper? Come on.
A more direct competition will be the Nexus 7 and the smaller iPad coming this fall. But in the current market I'm sure there are plenty of consumers debating an iPad or a Nexus 7.
I think you are underestimating how often people use their tablets outside of their homes. Every time I'm on a plane or train I see a ton of iPad's.
What I was originally saying is that local storage is not a thing of the past. Nothing you are saying is really proving otherwise but you are making some other random points.
The fact that you've chosen to use only 3 GB of storage on your Nexus means absolutely nothing in general. Your personal usage of cloud services does not dictate what most consumers will do. Do you have any doubt that we are going to see a 64 GB iPhone this fall? Or a 64 GB iPad will remain in Apple's lineup next spring with the next iPad? Come on.
Yes, cloud services provide consumers more opportunities to rely less on local storage but it simply becomes an option versus a trend that will mean less local storage available on smartphones and tablets.
Also, you are stating that you are sure we'll see a 32 GB Nexus 7 down the road so essentially you are agreeing with me.
Oh you have an edit? You don't see them going with high capacity tablets anytime soon? Which means what? 64 GB?

Haha, right, because Ferrari' 458's and Toyota Prius's both compete head to head, they're cars! (over-dramatic analogy).

There are ALWAYS price concerns, performance, and intended use to be taken into account. I can't think of a single decent tablet in the 7" range that competes with the 7 right now actually, the nook and fire aren't really tablets and most other reputable Android tablet makers have larger, slower, and more expensive products; please let me know if something is out there, I don't keep up with every model that comes out. iPads start at double the price, are heavier, and sport a far larger screen. Some shoppers may consider both, however I still maintain that they cover very differenent ends of the tablet market spectrum and don't have as many cross shoppers as you'd believe. Very few people seem willing to switch between Android and iOS on concurrently owned devices.

So you're stacking up your anecdotal evidence against, mine? Seems like pot calling kettle here. I see people using tablets outside of their homes as well, but what are they doing? Either listening to music, reading, or playing a game. NONE of which require a wifi connection nor much internal storage. Things like Instapaper (and android equivalents) help to reduce the need for instant wifi without taking up much space. The only thing I can think of that takes up significant space would be movies or extensive music libraries if you don't have wifi. If you want access to 10 HD quality movies and your entire music library all at your fingertips without any wifi, you obviously must look elsewhere

Every single person I know under "middle age", including many of those older, uses cloud music services or ones that let you download playlists locally, such as Spotify Premium (which surprisingly has high bitrate local storage options if you want). Large libraries at hand are becoming a thing of the past. Oops, more anecdotal evidence!

Buy what suits your needs, I just don't see a 16gb storage capacity as a major con for most modern small tablet users. But who knows, they could just be too cheap to pony up for a big boy tablet.

*that was rambling, sleep now*

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

blairh

Reaction score

Haha, right, because Ferrari' 458's and Toyota Prius's both compete head to head, they're cars! (over-dramatic analogy).
There are ALWAYS price concerns, performance, and intended use to be taken into account. I can't think of a single decent tablet in the 7" range that competes with the 7 right now actually, the nook and fire aren't really tablets and most other reputable Android tablet makers have larger, slower, and more expensive products; please let me know if something is out there, I don't keep up with every model that comes out. iPads start at double the price, are heavier, and sport a far larger screen. Some shoppers may consider both, however I still maintain that they cover very differenent ends of the tablet market spectrum and don't have as many cross shoppers as you'd believe. Very few people seem willing to switch between Android and iOS on concurrently owned devices.
So you're stacking up your anecdotal evidence against, mine? Seems like pot calling kettle here. I see people using tablets outside of their homes as well, but what are they doing? Either listening to music, reading, or playing a game. NONE of which require a wifi connection nor much internal storage. Things like Instapaper (and android equivalents) help to reduce the need for instant wifi without taking up much space. The only thing I can think of that takes up significant space would be movies or extensive music libraries if you don't have wifi. If you want access to 10 HD quality movies and your entire music library all at your fingertips without any wifi, you obviously must look elsewhere
Every single person I know under "middle age", including many of those older, uses cloud music services or ones that let you download playlists locally, such as Spotify Premium (which surprisingly has high bitrate local storage options if you want). Large libraries at hand are becoming a thing of the past. Oops, more anecdotal evidence!
Buy what suits your needs, I just don't see a 16gb storage capacity as a major con for most modern small tablet users. But who knows, they could just be too cheap to pony up for a big boy tablet.
*that was rambling, sleep now*

Honestly man you are rambling at this point. And this really is a waste of time for me. I'd like to reply and drop this.

The genesis of the argument was that local storage is a thing of the past. I vehemently disagree with this. This applies to both smartphones and tablets. Yes, cloud services allows users to become less dependent on local storage however there is absolutely still a need for it and moving forward you will only see tablets grow with respect to internal storage. This is a fact. It will happen with future iPad, iPad Mini's, whatever Android tablets become a mainstay, future iPhone's, and flagship Android devices.

The funny thing about all this is that you essentially seem to be conceeding that many consumers do infact use and incorporate local storage on their devices. So you're argument here is really not very focused and it's impossible for me to take you seriously.

Yes, plenty of people use their tablets on the go and in doing so find the need to access wifi and to pull up media when a wifi connection is not available. Yes, in some instances the media is available offline but not in all instances. Hence why people want and need local storage.

I completely disagree with your insistance that the iPad and Nexus 7 don't already compete against each other today. Like I've already stated, Apple has already lost some people who instead elected to purchase a cheaper and smaller Nexus 7. This playing field will even once the smaller iPad is unveiled in six weeks.

I have no desire to continue this. Nothing you have stated has changed a thing. I'm right, whether you want to write paragraphs against what I'm saying or not. Local storage is absolutely important moving forward for smartphones and tablets and if you disagree, so be it. That doesn't change the fact that you will absolutely see said devices offer more local storage in the years to come. Goodbye. I'm done with this discussion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads