1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Google Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ruzzi, Jul 1, 2012.

1. smallfry

smallfry Member

A good price but the Samsung galaxy tab has to be one of the best tablets you can get. So no for me.

2. PooJou

PooJou Well-Known Member

Yeah, love it. It's such a powerful little thing.

I wonder if there is a 10" in the works tho.

And if it had a stylus WELL, that would have made my day.

1 person likes this.
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Best $250 I've spent

1 person likes this.
  4. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Id probably pull the trigger but for the omission of a couple of features:

-No 3g/4g
    -Homescreen cant do a landscape view (wtf?) Although I suspect this will be fixed in a software update...
    -HDMI port. This is a place they could have actually gotten a leg up on google, rather than offering a poor mans iPad. Would have been great for transporting presentations, and could have hooked up to the TV for netflix and stuff.

5. PooJou

PooJou Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't count on 3G/4G - Google have had a rough enough time with carriers as it is. HDMI port would have increased the price - it's not a poor man's iPad perse- it's just taking the features of the ipad that 90% of people use (and bugger all use it to output presos or plug into your tv to do netflix)

(also airplay etc. can easily 'fix' that)

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

What are you guys using for sleeves? Screen protectors? Looking to pick up a decent quality leather case

7. PooJou

PooJou Well-Known Member

Naked :)

[​IMG]

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

^ ha. im using a soft felt shoe bag

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I believe the Nexus Q was supposed to be the decision to not go with an HDMI port. The Q would display on TV and through speakers (built in amp) what you want to show from your tablet, phone, computer etc over WiFi.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. lallas

lallas Member

I think its ok and a great price but it lacks features such as extendable memory which is important in this day and age

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

its an e-reader with a ton of features, not the ipad 3

12. whiteslashasian

Users are pretty much expected to take advantage of the google cloud to store things and share with all their devices. Local storage is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I think that's Google's idea behind not having SD-card slots on their Nexus devices. Same thing with the Google Chromebooks, which won't do anything without an internet connection. Problem is, if you don't have internet access, you can't get at your stuff.

Myself, I wouldn't be particularly happy putting my personal, private and confindential data into Google's cloud....

From the Google T&Cs...
    When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
    :censored:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  14. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Has anyone had issues using their complimentary $25 play credit? I tried using it but ended up having to complete a purchase with my cc. When I contacted support they refunded the amount and instructed that I link my account with a valid form of payment. What's odd is that I used google wallet to purchase the nexus one and that worked without a hitch, obviously.

15. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

There will always be a need for local storage. People don't always have access to the internet.

My guess is that the Nexus 7 is a hit and there will be larger GB options down the road.

16. PooJou

PooJou Well-Known Member

The point of this device is as mentioned above - to sell Google's cloud services - hence the lack Of local storage. I mean at the end of the day, the fact that this thing is so popular is kind of a side effect.

Also, I never don't have Internet... Local storage is the past - even at home all you need to do is stream off a big storage cache somewhere, which this thing excels at.

17. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

This got me thinking about the last time I used some kind of extendable memory technology. I can't even remember. It hasnt been in the last 5 years.

18. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Well I totally disagree. Yes, the point of the device is, in part, to sell media from the Google Play store. But not everyone has constant 24/7 access to the net. The number one scenario is airplanes. Yes, wi-fi on airplanes continues to spread, but it's not something to date where you find it universal. Ditto trains. And buses too. The three most popular methods of transportation, cars aside.

I'm sorry but local storage is absolutely not a thing of the past. You really think we aren't going to see a 128 GB iPad at some point? Come on man.

Same thing applies to smartphones.

19. whiteslashasian

I think you're patently wrong if you believe the Nexus 7 and iPad are meant to go head to head. iPad's larger screen and other apps allow it to be a pseudo laptop/desktop replacement device while the Nexus 7 is occupying a middle space between a smartphone and a laptop more toward the dead center.

Smart Phone _______Nexus 7________Laptop

Smart Phone _______________iPad___Laptop

Also, with Google Fiber coming out with incredibly fast internet speeds and 1tb of Cloud storage. Of course they're banking on you using their Cloud services. Where will you use the device? At home likely 90% of the time. If not, then get the 16gb version and don't load up a ton of 4gb+ movies (get the lower res 800mb versions). Etc.

FYI, I only have 3gb of storage used on my Galaxy Nexus phone after 6 months of ownership.

I'm sure we'll see a 32gb + version with the next gen if the sales of the 16gb are satisfactory to Google.

*edit* I don't see Google going with high capacity tablets anytime soon.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  20. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Of course they go head to head. They are both tablets. You're telling me someone wasn't contemplating an iPad and then opted to get the Nexus 7 just because it was cheaper? Come on.

A more direct competition will be the Nexus 7 and the smaller iPad coming this fall. But in the current market I'm sure there are plenty of consumers debating an iPad or a Nexus 7.

I think you are underestimating how often people use their tablets outside of their homes. Every time I'm on a plane or train I see a ton of iPad's.

What I was originally saying is that local storage is not a thing of the past. Nothing you are saying is really proving otherwise but you are making some other random points.

The fact that you've chosen to use only 3 GB of storage on your Nexus means absolutely nothing in general. Your personal usage of cloud services does not dictate what most consumers will do. Do you have any doubt that we are going to see a 64 GB iPhone this fall? Or a 64 GB iPad will remain in Apple's lineup next spring with the next iPad? Come on.

Yes, cloud services provide consumers more opportunities to rely less on local storage but it simply becomes an option versus a trend that will mean less local storage available on smartphones and tablets.

Also, you are stating that you are sure we'll see a 32 GB Nexus 7 down the road so essentially you are agreeing with me.

Oh you have an edit? You don't see them going with high capacity tablets anytime soon? Which means what? 64 GB?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012