1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Google+..bye bye Facebook!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by embowafa, Jun 28, 2011.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

It sounds pretty complex and yet I consider myself fairly computer savvy. So if I think it's complex, I can't imagine technophobes who had a hard time joining FB because they didn't know how to set up their own profile pic will want to join.

True, they can still be included passively but obviously what makes FB what it is its carefully-restricted ease.

Really? Facebook's site is a mess imo. Google's looks clean and simple. It'll be interesting to see what finished site looks like;.

2. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I think FB can be overly complicated sometimes, rooting through menus and submenus to get to what you want. But some dogs don't want to learn new tricks. I think we all have friends that use FB as an address book to update from time to time; they're there but not really there. Google + seems like a waste of time for people like that as the features are obviously geared towards active users.

This is just an initial impression based off a shitty demo that doesn't explain much of anything. It could be far simpler than it appears now.

3. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

I hate Google's system of "invites". It discourages me from trying the products more.

I get tired and move on unless its compelling (like Gmail).

4. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

So will this thing show what your "friends" search for on google? That could be hilarious

5. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    So will this thing show what your "friends" search for on google? That could be hilarious
    I really don't want to know [​IMG]

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/28/sea...t-to-facebook/ Remember it was myspace then facebook and now maybe google+. A few years ago no one thought that FB would surpass myspace but it did and won through innovation. Google is definitely going the innovation route and i love the idea of groups because i have friends/coworkers/family on facebook and sometimes just want to rant and swear a bit but cant. Who knows if this is a true game changer, but i will definitely give it a try and i am sure there will be plenty of others who will give goole+ a shot. Its definitely a step in the right direction. I want to bring up the "great FB exodus day" i think it was last year, FB lost a couple of thousand users but gains so many each day that it did not skip a beat. Currently facebook has 750 million users out of 7 billion people. it will be tough to move people over, and if they do move it will take a really long time. Either way, i'll use both for now.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Aw, fuck. Does this mean that now I have to start a Styleforum Google feed as well as a Styleforum Facebook feed?

What do you guys want to know from that stuff anyway? New sales? When Threaks attack? Daily list of bannings?

Also, fuck facebook, since they cut off my Styleforum account there. Fuck them and their mom.

8. CouttsClient

Aw, fuck. Does this mean that now I have to start a Styleforum Google feed as well as a Styleforum Facebook feed? What do you guys want to know from that stuff anyway? New sales? When Threaks attack? Daily list of bannings? Also, fuck facebook, since they cut off my Styleforum account there. Fuck them and their mom.
    [​IMG] Google isn't going to say it but if they're successful at doing this they will make Facebook obsolete, they will purchase it 'cheaply' and Facebook will regret not selling sooner. Ergo, no need for the double posting

9. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

I've been using it for the last 24 hours, it's awesome! No more invites avail to me at this time unfortunately. This plus the +1 button is powerful. Circles is so intuitive, such a better way to share content.

10. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

Really? Facebook's site is a mess imo. Google's looks clean and simple. It'll be interesting to see what finished site looks like;.

has the time for an established social media giant passed? i don't know... it might have.

i feel like microsoft got ahead because neither nintendo nor sony marketed games for a specific audience... (at least not very well)

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    From the videos and screen shots I love how clean and well thought out it looks. Facebook has got a bad case of the ugly these days and is a mess in terms of UI design.

12. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

i have a feeling that by the time this gains any momentum, FB will have come up with some sort of counter-solution.

remains to be seen, but i've already tried wave and buzz and didn't even make it longer than 5 minutes on either.

also, facebook has become the word for connecting with people like google became the word for searching things. it's so ingrained in people now it's gonna be hard to switch them. i heard someone say "bing it" the other day and i nearly fell over laughing at how odd it sounded.

google+ me, dude.

13. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

I've been using it for the last 24 hours, it's awesome! No more invites avail to me at this time unfortunately. This plus the +1 button is powerful. Circles is so intuitive, such a better way to share content.
    If you've got an invite you should send it my way [​IMG]

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I'm looking for technology that helps me become more disengaged from society. This doesn't appear to be the answer.

15. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

I'm looking for technology that helps me become more disengaged from society. This doesn't appear to be the answer.
    Isn't that what myspace is for?

16. Jr Mouse

BTW, look for FB to launch a "circles" type feature match within the next few weeks. They are quick on their feet and won't take this without a fight.

17. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

BTW, look for FB to launch a "circles" type feature match within the next few weeks. They are quick on their feet and won't take this without a fight.
    That's a good point. Google's soft launch is a huge benefit to FB.

18. Jr Mouse

That's a good point. Google's soft launch is a huge benefit to FB.

It's actually the biggest difference between what was Myspace and what is Facebook. Myspace was slow and didn't innovate, FB on the other hand has shown themselves willing to try new ideas and add features that competitors have.

19. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Apparently, Facebook got wind of Circles as far as a year ago. Their answer to this challenge was, in fact, the current iteration of Facebook Groups...you know, that thing no one uses.

20. CouttsClient

They already created groups for this purpose but they suck. It isn't so much having the ability to separate the categories but how the whole thing works together. Facebook doesn't seem adept at building smart applications. Maybe the problem is that Zuckerberg doesn't care how we really socialize/interact, but cares about creating a world where HE feels comfortable. The result is a huge platform that doesn't seem to consider the human element. I feel like I'm fighting with the UI all the time