• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor in Vancouver?

bure

Reaction score
Hey Vancouverites,

I'm looking for two things: casual/dress shoes and a relatively inexpensive tailor to turn my bootcut jeans into more of a straight fit (is this even possible/recommended?)

TheHoff: I was just at Holt's yesterday and they had some sales... are today's better? The shoe selection wasn't great; I saw a pair of brown Prada shoes but they weren't my size.

I'll also try out Lord's but do they sell men's shoes as well? Any other shoe stores I should try to get an idea of what style I'm looking for... I don't usually buy online but I could give the Buy/Sell forum a go.

Will the tailors named in this thread not be suitable for tapering jeans?

Cheers,

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forum.

>>TheHoff: I was just at Holt's yesterday and they had some sales... are today's better? The shoe selection wasn't great; I saw a pair of brown Prada shoes but they weren't my size.

It is basically the same stuff on sale today, just dropped another 15-20% off. They will occasionally add new things to the sale but since this is the final cut, I think everything that will be on sale was on sale already.

The shoe selection is really sad there. Harry Rosen is a bit better with a full range of Allen Edmonds but overpriced (nevermind the Santonis at retail). I guess if I had to get something locally I might try Freedman's. Lord's is ladies only, unfortunately.

>>Will the tailors named in this thread not be suitable for tapering jeans?

Likely overkill. I do have a good suggestion for basic alterations -- 1040 Georgia St W, next to the army recruiters at Burrard, is Fast Iron Cleaners. The owner is Ionela and she does quick, clean, and affordable alteration work.

bure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Hey, welcome to the forum.

>>TheHoff: I was just at Holt's yesterday and they had some sales... are today's better? The shoe selection wasn't great; I saw a pair of brown Prada shoes but they weren't my size.

It is basically the same stuff on sale today, just dropped another 15-20% off. They will occasionally add new things to the sale but since this is the final cut, I think everything that will be on sale was on sale already.

The shoe selection is really sad there. Harry Rosen is a bit better with a full range of Allen Edmonds but overpriced (nevermind the Santonis at retail). I guess if I had to get something locally I might try Freedman's. Lord's is ladies only, unfortunately.

>>Will the tailors named in this thread not be suitable for tapering jeans?

Likely overkill. I do have a good suggestion for basic alterations -- 1040 Georgia St W, next to the army recruiters at Burrard, is Fast Iron Cleaners. The owner is Ionela and she does quick, clean, and affordable alteration work.

Thanks for your quick reply I'll try out Freedman's, Harry Rosen and Fast Iron Cleaners!

Now I'm also looking for a pair of slacks for casual wear (grey colour I think). Any ideas?

Thanks again,

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bure
Thanks for your quick reply I'll try out Freedman's, Harry Rosen and Fast Iron Cleaners!

Now I'm also looking for a pair of slacks for casual wear (grey colour I think). Any ideas?

Thanks again,

I just went by Fast Iron to pick up a few things waiting and I mentioned to Ionela that I'm sending someone in to ask about tapering jeans. Now, she is funny in that she doesn't seem very friendly at first and she will flat out refuse to do things she thinks are wrong. She said she won't taper some jeans if it won't look right when she is done. She was concerned about the wash not matching when she pulls in the leg and also some fancier hems on the side she wouldn't do. Not because of difficulty but because of the result.

Speaking of casual grey, I picked these up from kellyb on ebay -- Helmut Lang grey moleskins and they are sweet. This isn't the same seller but I'm pretty sure it is the same pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Helmut-Lang-...QQcmdZViewItem

Fabro

Reaction score
It might be worth asking at Dutil about which tailor they use (since they are a specialty jeans shop). I was asking about chain stitching there. Unfortunately nobody does it in town, but they did mentioned they have a good general tailor for jeans.

If you find someone who does a good job be sure and post it here. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to a pair.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
>>Will the tailors named in this thread not be suitable for tapering jeans? Likely overkill. I do have a good suggestion for basic alterations -- 1040 Georgia St W, next to the army recruiters at Burrard, is Fast Iron Cleaners. The owner is Ionela and she does quick, clean, and affordable alteration work.
Do you know how much it costs for tapering jeans? (aprox)

bure

Reaction score
I just went by Fast Iron to pick up a few things waiting and I mentioned to Ionela that I'm sending someone in to ask about tapering jeans. Now, she is funny in that she doesn't seem very friendly at first and she will flat out refuse to do things she thinks are wrong. She said she won't taper some jeans if it won't look right when she is done. She was concerned about the wash not matching when she pulls in the leg and also some fancier hems on the side she wouldn't do. Not because of difficulty but because of the result.

Speaking of casual grey, I picked these up from kellyb on ebay -- Helmut Lang grey moleskins and they are sweet. This isn't the same seller but I'm pretty sure it is the same pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Helmut-Lang-...QQcmdZViewItem

Ah I see; hopefully she doesn't turn me down. They're A-Pocket 7-Jeans and they start out light at the top then turn dark blue 6" below the knee. I'm not too worried about them turning out too bad, unless it's very noticeable. I wonder what she'll say..

I've heard of moleskin but have never tried on or felt it. What does the inside of the pant feel like? Very comfortable? I know moleskin is supposed to be soft and durable. Would you say they're more casual or dressier or in-between? What shoes/shirt would you wear with them?

Another question for everyone... have you tapered bootcut jeans into straight fit?

Cheers,

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Do you know how much it costs for tapering jeans? (aprox)

Sorry, I forgot to ask. She's the only one in the shop and answers the phone so you can call and I'm sure she'll say.

I've heard of moleskin but have never tried on or felt it. What does the inside of the pant feel like? Very comfortable? I know moleskin is supposed to be soft and durable. Would you say they're more casual or dressier or in-between? What shoes/shirt would you wear with them

It has a thick, soft, brushed cotton feel. Very comfortable. I'd say they are a step above cords in dressiness and what I go for when wool would be too much. For me, the shoes would depend on the rest of the outfit, but for casual these days I wear RM Williams boots.

Fabro

Reaction score
Just dropped into the Holts last call sale. Apparently it's more like their penultimate final sale. Next weekend (Jan 26/7) a bunch of items are getting yet another 20% off. Then on Monday unsold sale items are being shipped out to the discount centre in Winnipeg.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question for everyone... have you tapered bootcut jeans into straight fit?

I had it done on an old pair of Calvin Klein's at European Custom Tailors. Results were pretty good, but the alterations (including self-hemming) cost over double what the jeans cost on ebay. I probably wouldn't bother doing it again.

Nice moleskin's Hoff. I wanted to buy a pair, but all my money was tied up in a pair of jeans that never turned up.
devil.gif

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabro
Just dropped into the Holts last call sale. Apparently it's more like their penultimate final sale. Next weekend (Jan 26/7) a bunch of items are getting yet another 20% off. Then on Monday unsold sale items are being shipped out to the discount centre in Winnipeg.

What's the sock selection like this year? Last year they marked down a ton of Richard James and Duchamp socks and lots were left for the extra 20% weekend. I wouldn't mind stocking up again.

Reaction score
Quote 35 : Those M.T.M. programms allow for specific armhole size? The ansewer it is No. Ecpt if you go to a tailor like : Tony Arletto . Angelo Papa, Pat Cocco
Or others tailors You may Kno. M.T. suit for $ 650 I do not reccomand to even try any ready make suit will be better. I do like make cleary what is Bespoke suit: first a bespoke suit ca't be done less than $ 5000.00 with good line and material not better than Trofeo or 15 mlm Zegna wich are a very good material ( better than that cost more)
What is the differenze to Bespoke and M.T.M. regarding Material. Lining. Pattern ,Style Siluette Non. if done from a master tailor.
What is a master tailor : it is a pearson who have the knoledge to measure you, make your personal pattern for any garment you like start and finish him self the pnt, jacket,vest,tap coat, Taxido or any other give also to the suit a ltle personal toch wich make the difference even to compare it to those suit who people pay more than $5000.00 for a ready make suit .
Any one who like kno more about Bespoke call me I'm appy to send you a picture with particular of bespoke suit wich is made completely by hand wich today not exsist in any suit ready make and I talk about those sold more than $ 5000.00

Reaction score
Quote 35 : Those M.T.M. programms allow for specific armhole size? The ansewer it is No. Ecpt if you go to a tailor like : Tony Arletto . Angelo Papa, Pat Cocco
Or others tailors You may Kno. M.T. suit for $ 650 I do not reccomand to even try. any ready make suit will be better. I do like make cleary what is Bespoke suit: first a bespoke suit can't be done less than $ 5000.00 with good line and material Trofeo or 15 mlm Zegna wich are a very good material ( better than that cost more)
What is the differenze to Bespoke and M.T.M. regarding Material. Lining. Pattern ,Style Siluette Non. if done from a master tailor.
What is a master tailor : it is a pearson who have the knoledge to measure you, make your personal pattern for any garment you like start and finish him self the pant, jacket,vest,tap coat, Taxido or any other garment give also to the suit a litle personal toch wich make the difference betwin your suit to those suit ready make paid more then $ 5000.00
Any one who like kno more about Bespoke call me I'm appy to send you a picture with particular of bespoke suit wich is made completely by hand wich today not exsist in any suit ready make and I talk about those sold more than $ 5000.00
For what I say I take full responsability . 604 731 1690 -Cell 604 812 7639

Reaction score
From Giuseppe Mancuso Master Tailor .

If any one need alteraction in lether garment :call Ali 604 -925 6069
Cell 778 227 0995 . He make a M.T.M jacket to me he did a very good job.
also he can alterate others garment.

canadiancopper

Reaction score
Gentlemen

I bought my first suit 20 years ago or so at Ian Gray at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond, at a half-price sale, naturally. But I was only 19 in 1987, so a $250 piece of clothing was a lot of money. I think that in the following years the most decadent thing I purchased was a $599 Baumler blazer from Regal Men's Wear in New West.

My tailor in all the transactions was Nino Francilia. He was trained in Sicily at SNOB, a well-known Italian tailor's school, in the mid 50s. He is and was one of the few tailors in Vancouver who could cut suits without patterns. I have seen his school books. Wonderful stuff. He worked at Holt and Dunn's and a number of other places before retiring (along with seemingly every other European tailor). Every suit or sportcoat I ever purchased was tailored by him. I usually buy from S Cohen. They never quite fit, but it's decent mid-range stuff with nice high-tech fabrics and stretchy bits in all the right places (like the waist and arm holes).

I have never had a suit cut for me, either MTM or bespoke. I dream of such things. I am a big fella at 6'4" and 215 lbs. I fit a 16 1/2 inch collar and need 36 inch sleeves so I drowned in the mire of off the rack shirts for too many years, never owning a shirt that fit. I have purchased 3 or 4 MTM shirts from Can-America down on Pender. I love them. I can't afford the finer cottons, which run over $300, but the simpler oxfords and twills do me fine at around $125. They have quite a few bolts (right word?) of cotton down there, with some decent English and some excellent Italian specimens.

I have just purchased from a seller on eBay a beautiful silk and wool Oxxford golden sport coat with a fine blue windowpane. Always wanted one. Obviously can't afford to buy one new. I took it down to Modernize Tailors to have it altered. The verdict? "Lose a little weight." Even Jack Wong could not work his magic on the item. But I did take the time to order a pair of grey Bird's eye pants from "the Stash," a collection of bolts from a bygone era. Good, heavy, stuff, 12 ounces at least. And at $180 dollars, a fun introduction to MTM.

I took the Oxxford coat instead to Romarock tailors in Richmond. Rocky said that he would do his best to make the coat at least presentable. Did I say that the Oxxford hand made sure looks "natural" when you see it beside other, more machine-sewn costumes? And when I was with Rocky, I decided to have some pants made to fit the coat. I settled on cream hopsack ($175) with a high rise. Throw in a pair of brown shoes and I'll be able to do a fair impersonation of Bertie Wooster. Rocky cuts all the material for his MTM and sends the rest out for pockets, buttons, etc.

Rocky has some decent swatch books--a lot of Dormeuil and the one with all the Gs, Galarraga is it?--and a lot of bolts on site, including Dormeuil @ $750/yard (must be the cheap Dormeuil).

Anyway, that's my tale. I will report back on the pants. I hit 40 this year. Perhaps, I'll finally buy a suit with high arm holes, a collar that shows the requisite 1/2 inch of shirt collar, and slacks that sit high on my waist like they did in the 30s.

Dean

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads