• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor in Vancouver?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a Made to Measure Navy Suit, under $1000.
Who is the best? How is Samuelsohn?

Anyone else?
Albert's Tailor does MTM right?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey blazingazn, did you end up taking your suit jacket to Oakridge Tailors? I just got an Indochino and need some relatively minor adjustments done to it, Oakridge seems to be fairly regularly recommended.

Thanks.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took it their.

Pretty awesome and quick.
Very professional.

Would probably get a MTM Suit there, but it's $2000 so I can't afford it.
How's your Orange Monster watch? I got one again with a Shark Mesh bracelet!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha wearing it right now, I don't even remember discussing it with you!

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Haha wearing it right now, I don't even remember discussing it with you!

i was the one that sold it to you
wink.gif

david's in cali now, message me if you want to chat some more.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
i was the one that sold it to you
wink.gif

david's in cali now, message me if you want to chat some more.

Oh **** really haha, coincidence... I had a feeling you might've sold it to me but I only knew for sure you were on RFD.

Yea, San Jose or something I believe? Crazy.

Etceteraism

Reaction score
I just bought a womens Theory suit online, and need to get it altered-I need the (working button) sleeve length let out and the pants hemmed (strange combo I know, but they seem t assume if you need a small size jacket, you must be short as well).

The pants I'm not too concerned about, but the jacket I'm more concerned about having done right, so I don't want to go to my usual mall seamstress.

Fast turnaround is important as well.

And what does sleeve lengthening usually cost? There seems to be a fair bit of excess at the sleeve, so it wouldn't need to be let out from the shoulder.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very happy with Oakridge Tailors. Before: After (sleeve shortening, skirt flare/waist reduction):

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaptChaos
Try Tony Arletto at European Tailors on Thurlow. Tony does all the work himself by hand. I had a suit made there last year and am quite pleased with it. He does full custom as well as alterations.

European Tailors
842 Thurlow Street @ Robson
604-684-877

Tony Arletto , I had the pleasure to meet him in his shop, on Thurlow, he is a good tailor.
For reading information Tony from 2005 . move from that address.

mosdef

Reaction score
hey all
just browsing this thread and still confused! lol

what i'm looking for is a nice MTM shirt. (I live in downtown Vancouver).

I came across that guy Steve Samson's website. i can see his prices have 3 ranges "$60-$79" "$80 to $149" and "$149 to $199". of course my assumption being the better fabric, the more expensive.

the reviews i've read on here seems like he's not the guy to go to for Suits. But how is he for shirts?(the price range of $100 and less really works for me.)

the other option was Brooks Brothers, and I believe their MTM shirts start at $140. anyone with experience with them?

or if you can recommend somehwere else in the lower mainland and what i can expect to pay for a MTM shirt of good quality

thanks!

mosdef

Reaction score
oh, and forgot to add, i did check with Minichiello (i think it's called Paul's of North Shore, 127 Esplanade W, North Vancouver ).

I spoke with Julie, and she tells me their shirts are not MTM, and are actually bespoke. Starting price point of their shirts is around $240 (2ply)

OnlytheBrave

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2 part-er. First, I bought a suit from Zara like a few years back, the idiot at the store measured me wrong and I tried to tell the guy to measure twice and to measure areas that he missed but he insisted it wasn't a problem. I ended up with a suit that fits too loosely and the crotch is too low, can I still salvage this suit? Or is it basically something I should donate or find someone large enough to make that damned thing work.

2nd part. There is a suit I am absolutely in love with, not sure if I can even find it around here in Vancouver right now. It's the "Black Day At the Office" Suit at Indochino. I have been reading countless reviews, some say the quality is fair to good, others say the measurements are pretty good because they base it on you but you need to get a few things altered. For the prices their suits are, is it worth getting from them? I'm sort of stuck with a budget for a suit (under $600) and I doubt I can find any suit that matches that look I am trying to go for (if you google it, you'll find the images).

I was thinking about going back to Zara and maybe finding a similar suit and getting it tailored to fit instead of going through their tailor like last time, this time a black one (that 1st one was a gray suit, figured I needed one, I haven't had a suit in ages...needed one bad at that moment, they screwed it up, had to skip a reception because of it, very disappointing).

Which places should I be checking out if they might have that Indochino style suit, or should I just go through Indochino after getting measured by a tailor, by someone and them myself for consistent measurements and when I do, should I add an 1/4" to each measurement just to have some breathing space just in case they make it too tight, I mean the rule for suits being fixed is that if it's bigger than it should be, it can be easier to fix problems rather than when they make it too tight, right? I have a cousin's wedding in October, the Wedding I wouldn't be wearing a Suit, it'd be something else (traditional sort of thing) but the reception, I want to show up in style and with a proper suit, you know?

Any and all help will be appreciated. So thankful I found this forum.

mathil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OnlytheBrave
2nd part. There is a suit I am absolutely in love with, not sure if I can even find it around here in Vancouver right now. It's the "Black Day At the Office" Suit at Indochino. I have been reading countless reviews, some say the quality is fair to good, others say the measurements are pretty good because they base it on you but you need to get a few things altered. For the prices their suits are, is it worth getting from them? I'm sort of stuck with a budget for a suit (under $600) and I doubt I can find any suit that matches that look I am trying to go for (if you google it, you'll find the images).

I was thinking about going back to Zara and maybe finding a similar suit and getting it tailored to fit instead of going through their tailor like last time, this time a black one (that 1st one was a gray suit, figured I needed one, I haven't had a suit in ages...needed one bad at that moment, they screwed it up, had to skip a reception because of it, very disappointing).

Which places should I be checking out if they might have that Indochino style suit, or should I just go through Indochino after getting measured by a tailor, by someone and them myself for consistent measurements and when I do, should I add an 1/4" to each measurement just to have some breathing space just in case they make it too tight, I mean the rule for suits being fixed is that if it's bigger than it should be, it can be easier to fix problems rather than when they make it too tight, right? I have a cousin's wedding in October, the Wedding I wouldn't be wearing a Suit, it'd be something else (traditional sort of thing) but the reception, I want to show up in style and with a proper suit, you know?

Any and all help will be appreciated. So thankful I found this forum.

As chance would have it I have an Indochino "Black day at the office" suit coming in the mail TODAY. Once it arrives I'll crack it open and tell you how it fits/looks. Keep in mind they're fused suits made in China to measurements that can't be verified. They don't see pictures of you (apart from on remakes, I suppose) so all they can do is make their best educated guess.

I already plan on taking it to Oakridge for alterations. I chose to go with Indochino since OTR suits are not made in my size and high end MTM and Bespoke was out of my comfortable budget. I would have bought a Boss "the stars" tux, but once again, the measurements just don't add up.

In any sort of modern fit suit I require a size 48 to get the shoulders to fit properly and the button to not pull. A classic cut suit in a 46 fits my shoulders, yet leaves a large amount of fabric around my stomach and waist. I'm in the top 1% of weird body's (6'5", 240 lb) so it's been quite frustrating trying to find clothes that fit. On the plus side, my own tailoring skills are improving.

mathil

Reaction score
Indochino suit came in!

I'm surprised at the quality. It's not half bad! Fits better than ANY OTR suit I've tried on, and that's pre-adjustments. I'll probably post in the Indochino thread once it's relaxed and some of the wrinkles are gone. Haven't had a chance to try on the pants yet.

OnlytheBrave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mathil
Indochino suit came in! I'm surprised at the quality. It's not half bad! Fits better than ANY OTR suit I've tried on, and that's pre-adjustments. I'll probably post in the Indochino thread once it's relaxed and some of the wrinkles are gone. Haven't had a chance to try on the pants yet.
Nice, how long did it take to arrive? Because the month I need it in is October, so if it needs to be adjusted or anything I would need to order it in maybe mid-late August, just in case it doesn't fit right and they have to re-do it (apparently when they re-do the whole thing, it's a 2 week turnover). Could you please post the Indochino link when you do post the pictures or whatever, I really need to know if this is the route I want to go and having someone that just bought it, talking about that same exact suit is a huge help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics