1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Exactly my point.

2. jcpeterson

jcpeterson Member

^This is hard to learn, especially with nobody in real life to to tell you whats what. It's hard to learn how a 3D objects should fit from a 2D screen and a few words.

3. Caustic Man

Why not just ask questions of a tailor? They are the "mechanics" who work under the hood of these suits. They can tell you how things work, what can be fixed, and what the limitations of your body mean to the garments you wear. You don't need to find a Saville Row tailor to tell you these things. Even just a decent one will be able to give you some info.

4. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

True wisdom here indeed. What's your size, jcpeterson? I bet a few friends over in the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists thread would be happy to send some tailored clothing your way and, if you posted pics of it here on StyleForum, we could give direct guidance on fit. Not as good as having someone on hand, but perhaps it's a decent second-best.

As for trousers, two pair of grey wool trousers is the place to start. We give that advice to everyone (the last guy to hear it wears Kiton and Rubinacci regularly, so you're in good company), and for good reason--grey wool goes with everything and looks smart in almost every setting you'll likely find yourself in. You'll certainly outclass everyone who's still trying to wear ill-fitting cotton chinos with their blazers.

Places to shop: Brooks Brothers when they have sales (check the BB thread here), Epaulet (www.epauletnyc.com) if you can afford it (those guys/gals are really helpful and a model for great customer service), Rota from NMWA (nomanwalksalone.com) if they're a graduation present from an aunt/uncle who appreciates fine tailoring.

5. jcpeterson

jcpeterson Member

I have yet to find a good tailor. Currently searching in the rural Midwest US.

6. heldentenor

Don't want to speak for jcpeterson, but I would never have had the confidence to do that while still in high school; I would have felt too out of place. Probably true until after college, for that matter. If he's got the self-possession to walk in and chat with a tailor, great, but I don't think I would have at his stage of life.

7. Caustic Man

He's dining with governors. He's got this. [​IMG]

8. Caustic Man

The next best thing to speaking to someone in person might be the tailors thread here on SF. Do a search, I'm not sure if it is updated much anymore, but there are pages and pages of great information on for directly front he horse's mouth.

9. heldentenor

True, but so was I. Politicians never overawed me much because they want to be liked, for the most part. Technicians, on the other hand, know their stuff and can make you feel ignorant in a hurry even if they don't mean to do so.

Then again, he sought us out, and I doubt I would have done so.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  10. jcpeterson

jcpeterson Member

I'm still trying to figure out my "size." It seems to vary from brand to brand. My Calvin Kline's odd trousers fit differently than my suit trousers, so I'm leery of ordering pants on the internet, seems to be little "standardized size".

11. jcpeterson

jcpeterson Member

12. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

Size is always hard, and I would only order pants from a store with a good return policy. All the stores mentioned were fantastic, but I would add yoox.com to the mix as well. They have a good return policy and a fairly extensive list of brands. Stuff is also on sale quite often and here is the thread to keep an eye out for good deals and sales from them.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

This is a really critical insight and will serve you well for a long time. What fits you best is going to be determined by the actual measurements of the garment (some 32s are sized to fit someone with a 32 inch waist, some offer a bit of vanity sizing and can fit someone with say a 33 inch waist, some are actually 32 inches around the waistband which might fit someone with a 30-31 inch waist. If you can, get actual measurements for things you buy online. They definitely help.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

EPIC FAIL - The Pants Fit :brick:
    I will be the first to say it.
    Noodles is an idiot stupid dumb@ss.
    I guess I never tried on the pants and just assumed that pants that were labeled 52 were too big for me and needed major work done before I can wear them. I punched myself in the face after trying them on. See for yourselves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

Looks so good. I both laugh and cry over the fact you could have been wearing this suit once a week for the past 10+ weeks.

3 people like this.
  16. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Jacket looks amazing though

2 people like this.
  17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

18. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

@The Noodles rejoice, you have a 36 inch waist.

Sharp suit

1 person likes this.
  19. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Doodals Noice :D

1 person likes this.