1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Will do! I was thinking that chambray would be a good option. I like the Milano II, but might be too much collar for me … but I did read that a larger collar is good for small shoulders and larger heads, which I think is me in a nutshell :)
    Hey Tweedy! Yeah, I tried the collar stays the second time around, but the collar part compressed to the point where it looked funky. Unfortunately, proper cloth doesn't have the level of customization to allow for just soft points. I think more experimentation is necessary :)

2. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

This is what I want to see. He has some good stuff and he should be putting it together consistently, otherwise he's just hurting his bank account and annoying his wife for not much benefit.

2 people like this.
  5. DavidFin

DavidFin Active Member

@7_rocket I think a lot goes into answering your question. First off, i don't see anything wrong with wearing a spread collar without a tie unless its a super spread cut a way (which i don't even like with a tie) I actually think that if you are not wearing a tie and you want to still look a bit formal for a meeting or even with a pair of nice dress jeans then a spread collar will give you that little extra bit of dressiness you are looking for. Now if you want a super casual look then i wouldn't go spread or even forward point with any dress shirt, but i would focus on a shirt with a really soft button down collar, something like a flannel shirt in the winter with jeans or linen shirts in the summer with linen or cotton pants/ shorts. So for now go with the spreads! your shirts look great with or without the tie (even though we love ties).

David

www.davidfin.com

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Thanks David. I decided I"ll go with spread collars going forward on all my future shirts and stick to button down for more casual wears

7. DavidFin

DavidFin Active Member

@7_rocket i think thats a smart idea, i used to keep different collar types on my dress shirts and it gets too complicated , staying with a classic spread keeps things simple and more versatile so you can always throw on a tie without having to change your shirt.

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Thanks, man!

I did not. But my doc did say I needed to loose weight. Im sure 190/195 is better for my health than closing in on 230. : )

---

Glad to help, macjedi. I think some light suede shoes would be great with a suit like that.

---

Noodles can get his dress on when his mind is in the game. No doubt.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

:foo:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

My good friend, I shall look forward to the day. My treat for lunch at the very least :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  11. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

You might switch to a different maker then. I use mytailor and at this point I've made so many adjustments with them in person I've become a fan (is it bespoke at that point?). They can do all sorts of fine tuned modifications (eg I had them lift the front of my collar but not back, reduce the tie gap to 1/8 inch and so on). Great if you talk it over with someone in person. They have a traveling tailor too. luxire might be able to do similar modifications but you have to do more work yourself.

Why don't you post a pic of the problem?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

With all this talk of collars, it would be really helpful to me if the various descriptions and opinions could be clarified with pics.

I've been gradually bringing my entire wardrobe into order over the past two years or so on SF, including shirts. But I still look at a lot of the pics on WAYWRN and some of the "classic" older threads and think, damn, I don't have any collars which look that good.

I might have to start cross-posting some of those pics here, and ask the experts for help in tracking me down some collar awesomeness.

2 people like this.
  13. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Not certain if this is the proper thread, but I could use some good natured advice. I am American and about to spend two years in London. What are some wardrobe essentials an American might not already have or might not anticipate needing? I've already been told to have a tux made. My Asian tailor is visiting this month, so I can have pretty much anything made. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Get rid of all your brown shoes [​IMG]

Yes, this is the right thread.

@Cleav @Monkeyface

15. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

You'll be warmly welcomed :nodding:

Your work will give us a steer if you want to share?

16. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Well-Known Member

Right. My thanks. I am actually going over to accompany Mrs. Hedonist on a rotation with her major accounting firm. I'll be managing my team here in the states remotely, probably from rented office space. I'll go to some entrepreneurial-themed events, accompany the lovely lady to work functions, be a regular at a local pub - that sort of modus operandi.

1 person likes this.
  17. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Here’s the Milano II collar from Proper Cloth, if anyone's interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s what you need when the collar points absolutely, positively, have to stay put under your lapels (and you’ve got a longish neck).

Cheers,

Ac

4 people like this.
  18. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

Nice AC. Which Oxford fabric is that?

19. Academic2

Light Blue 80s Royal Oxford PCF945.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  20. Academic2

Given the number of folks on SF who wear MTM shirts, I wonder if there would be interest in a thread devoted to photos. Arguably it would make life easier for those trying to make a purchasing decision than is currently the case, where people have to browse individual affiliate threads, and in addition not every MTM shop is an affiliate.

Just a thought, and a job for a moderator in any event.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.