1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Noodles, the suits you are wearing as beaters don't fit you nearly as well as the things you've bought more recently. Even if the fabric could work for an odd jacket (it cannot), they still would not be right. Your plan was to wear the hell out of those suits until you were able to upgrade your wardrobe.

If your beaters are wearing out and you are only going to have the 3 Formosas after they do, you need to start wearing the Formosas more and you need to buy more suits. This isn't an issue of being indulgent. 3 suits is simply not enough for someone who wears a suit 6x a week (yes, you could wear an odd jacket and tie to church on Sundays but until you buy odd jackets, I guess you'll be in a suit). At this point you need to suck it up and figure out whether a closet of Formosa / similarly priced MTM is practical for you based both on pure economics and also from a perspective of family harmony. If it isn't, then look at something like SuitSupply and pick up a few suits from them. Either way, you need to accelerate your acquisitions.

I don't know how you do this and that's up to you. Maybe the price you pay for upgrading your wardrobe to an acceptable point is to swear off purchases for at least 6 months and to adopt something like a 1 in 1 out plus 1 program (you get to add one suit / sport coat per year in addition to anything that replaces something that has worn out). At the very least, have a nice idea of something you can spend money on to do with the wife as well.

1 person likes this.
  2. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

The Knottery is having a 35% off sale (code: WINTERSALE). They are a bit slim at 3", but for $35 I couldn't resist kopping a few summer ties…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

4. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Literally can not believe this has been ITT six hours without being quoted.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. archibaldleach

Wow. The same suit everyday...sometimes you take it to a new level, Noodles.

Of course the beater is going to wear out faster if you wear the thing everyday. I thought the idea was to rotate your beaters so they'd at least last a bit longer and buy you some more time. And don't go to Jos. A. Bank.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Noodles

[​IMG]

8. The Noodles

[​IMG]

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

All you have to do is ask if you want the grey flannel, Noodles. I'll give you a hell of a deal....consider it a charity donation for the needy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

Going into spring, get the grey sharkskin, not the grey flannel. And LOL at this whole development. You've been told this same advise by me and many others several months ago in (fleeting) hopes that you wouldn't get into this situation.

Also LOL that you have the flannel POW and haven't been wearing in in this cold.

SIGH

1 person likes this.
  11. The Noodles

[​IMG]

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Yes, same thing. It's not an issue if they fit you.

1 person likes this.
  13. archibaldleach

Noodles, I wear a suit maybe 3-4x a month and I have more suits that I am happy with than you do. This is a case of needing to rip off the Band-Aid and buy a few suits. Otherwise we're going to be having this same conversation in 3 months (which, while it keeps this thread going, really doesn't do anything for you). Be realistic about what you can afford to buy and continue to replace in the long-term and buy in that range. If it's Formosa, great. If it's SuitSupply and you want to add the occasional Formosa as a discretionary luxury, great. Just figure it out and take action.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Noodles

[​IMG]

15. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

I can't continue to have nor continue to believe we're having this conversation :nest:

I wear flannel through all of April, but May is probably pushing it, even for a lighter weight one like your PoW.

2 people like this.
  16. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Instead of writing the eyerolling comments that went through my head while reading the last few posts, I'll offer some good-natured advice: grab a couple of Kent Wang's trial suits while they're on sale. Since you're wearing the same suit every day anyway, this option would at least allow you to alternate so that they can rest for a bit. Go for size 42. Your wife might not even complain about the price.

http://www.kentwang.com/suits/charcoal-jacket-clearance.html

2 people like this.
  17. archibaldleach

Noodles, if you can happily wear SuitSupply suits (there's certainly nothing wrong with them), then by all means use them to fill in the gaps. I just don't want to see a conversation in 3 months about how you are going through your SuitSupply beaters and still don't have enough Formosas. A couple SuitSupply suits could fill in nicely for awhile, but only if you're happy with them and can wear them as part of a rotation with your Formosas. I'm guessing preorders for Formosa's F/W lineup will happen in June (only half down so if you can afford one suit in June and one in September you can essentially preorder 2). And if Murl is giving you a great deal on a barely worn Formosa, you are crazy to not take it. Flannel may only be great until April / maybe early May in DC, but it works for most of the year and will be a staple in your wardrobe for years to come. Seems like a rare chance to get something you would pay full price for at a really good discount; don't let the fact that it's nearly March stop you from making a smart long-term purchase.

3 people like this.
  18. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

This thread has done the rare but always appreciated 720 degree rotation.

2 people like this.
  19. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, I have a question about having a "transitional wardrobe." I'm currently in the process of getting into better shape and losing some weight, all while trying to learn more about menswear/clothing/what works for me. I'm a big guy, but not visibly overweight (until I remove my shirt). Reaching my ideal size/weight will most likely be a lengthy process, stretching to 6-18 months (all depending on how hard I work). Is it worth purchasing clothes throughout the process? Should I get my current wardrobe tailored as my size changes? Is there anyone here who has gone through something similar?

20. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

I actually appreciate the fact that I can go away for a few weeks and trust that when I return you’ll still be discussing Noodles’ suit issues.

The thread is an island of stability in a sea of change.

I find that comforting.

Cheers,

Ac [​IMG]

2 people like this.