1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

It seems to me that an overcoat might be the place to go a bit wild. You're unlikely to be conducting business in it, and you wear it only in transition. I like it.

2. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Opinion about this tie anyone? (it's cashmere)
    [​IMG]

3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Nice tie. Inappropriate for CBD but could be great in winter fits with odd jackets, 3-piece tweed/textured suits etc. Strikes a mean between rustic (texture) and formal (colour and pattern).

4. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

cheers Cox- Actually this is a bit of a 'Cox's hlelp me make up my mind to buy it Thread' type deal.
    You know, the tie is very you when I think about it. Earthy, textured.

5. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

I just bought it. Your work is done. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I don't mind straying from traditional overcoats. I just don't care for that one in particular (to give a non-joking response).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

If you are gonna wear that coat, thats the way to do it I guess.

NIce pick up.

---

Cox, from left, 2, 5, 7, 10, are my faves.

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. in stitches

I would say to put the kibosh on kops for a month minimum and try not to be on SF too much when you are around her. The initial shock has clearly not worn off yet.

You can buy her all the Prada in the world, she will still be mad about your kops and indulgence of SF. Just peel back a little on SF time that she would notice and hold off on kops.

I bet if you do that for a month and then slowly increase to a level that is not insane it will be ok.

1 person likes this.
  10. WeakMonday

WeakMonday Well-Known Member

For me... I just started teaching my wife about the different qualities and compositions of fabrics, and told her about the lines of the suit (shoulder line and outer sleeve line, and silhouette in general) and how they were rather important. She didn't get it at first but now after a few pictures and seeing me in the Neapolitan suits vs Chinese she understood.

When we go shopping for her stuff now she likes to feel the different fabrics and try to guess at their composition haha.

Also I let her play a part in the process of ordering stuff. We had a rather long argument where to place my initials on the shirts... I preferred it on the chest, but she wanted it on the cuffs so people could see (which I felt was rather indecent... she ended up winning this argument)... but now that I see them they're pretty nice if a bit flashy haha.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. The Noodles

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

Yes. Zip it and your chances of BnT are going to increase exponentially.

3 people like this.
  13. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Well, my wife is a professional fashion designer and an absolute perfectionist in her work, so I'm fairly certain that she can at least partially understand what is going on around here. Then again, two days ago, I was browsing SF while she was sitting next to me with her ipad, when I came across a post with a pic of one of @Patrick R 's superb Despos suits. I couldn't help exclaiming "Wow, look at that!" She barely looked up and I explained: "Look at that suit!" She kept looking at me with an expression that looked suspiciously like "Why did I marry that nerd?"
    On the spending front, since she's literally buying clothes on a daily basis due to her profession, I don't have to justify my purchases. Problem is, after she's done with hers, there usually isn't much left to spend [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. The Noodles

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

I would say a few things:

1) I personally believe that clothing purchases should be negligible to the budget. If you are spending so much money that you need approval of purchases or you are raising the ire of a spouse, you have gone overboard.

2) I don't believe "the best stuff" is a legitimate description of purchases being made for Mr. or Mrs. Noodles. That is not a criticism, but a reframing of the situation.

3) "Stop being so childish. You can get what you want but you've had so many big purchases lately. You seem like you're addicted to this whole SF/Classic Menswear thing. You need to focus more on us."
    If this is a real statement from your wife and you aren't interested in blowing up your relationship, turn off the computer, walk away from the forum for a bit, and focus on more important things.

7 people like this.
  16. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

I would like this story better if your wife had the unbridled reaction to my pictures. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. in stitches

Defo.

Women tend to over state things and resort to hyperbole in general. Husband says that to wife, instant death. Wife says it to husband, he sighs, moves along, and waits for the situation to simmer down.

Very stereotypical thing to say, I know, but its not like there is no truth to it.

3 people like this.
  18. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

This sounds to me as though her reaction to your shopping/interest in menswear is merely the manifestation of something deeper. She doesnt feel like you are as invested in her and your relationship as you should be. Fix that and she wont care what else you are doing with your (spare) time and money.

6 people like this.
  20. The Noodles

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.