1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

@europrep , I'm on the fence about a GMTO for the Carmina 5 eyelet chukka in snuff suede. I recall you have a pair. Do you have any pictures of them with trousers? I'm curious how much of the lacing shoes.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

I used to drop them off at the drycleaners, until I realised I was spending about $150/month it. Now I just put on a show I've been meaning to catch up on, and iron a week's worth of shirts. Takes me about 45 minutes for 7 shirts. I'd probably pay for the drycleaners if I didn't have so many shows to catch up on.

2 people like this.
  3. New Shoes1

I currently wear a pair of shell loafers (Allen Edmonds Patriot) pretty regularly in the Summer. If I were to add another pair, it would without a doubt be the Carmina string loafer in snuff suede, which can be worn with jean as well as dressier trousers. I would not wear it with a suit, though. Use Google images and you will see some great ideas for how to wear it.

4. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

I wear these almost daily in the summer:

[​IMG]
    http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/brown-boat-shoe

I think it is an improvement on your current boat shoes as well as an alternative to them (though not a particularly divergent alternative).

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Fixed.

2 people like this.
  6. ridethecliche

Sperry's for boat shoes. I don't see the point of spending that much money on a pair of boat shoes that are going to last a couple of summers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I think I am going to get a batch of shirts done MTM from my tailor, who has already done a couple jackets for me and does fantastic work.

But, he tends to want you to tell him what you want - he's not all the great with giving suggestions and guidance but so far that's been a non-issue.

Anyways, that's just my wordy preamble to ask everyone what their collar preference is. I can't exactly ask him for a Claghorn or NOBD collar.

First batch of shirts I ever had done was a basic semi-spread collar, but it feels like it should have been a little higher, and I have some very minor collar gap issues with certain jackets that bugs the crap out of me since the jackets themselves fit just fine.

8. ridethecliche

If you like the collars that those posters have, I'd just get stuff through luxire with their collar design and your fit...Why try to reinvent the wheel?

9. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe, but I like giving my tailor continued business and I really like his work. In return I've gotten some discounts here and there for repeated business so I like having this rapport.

Unless I could save a good deal of money via Luxire, I'd rather go through him. I don't doubt he can create anything - I just have to know how to ask for it.

10. ridethecliche

Then probably do as others here have done and go one shirt at a time till you like what you've accomplished!

I think the measurements for things were on the luxire google doc, though i'm not sure how standard those things are. I don't know about the terminology so I'll let someone more familiar with the process answer!

11. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

TM79, are you asking for suggestions on collar type? Or do you have a good idea of what you like and want to tweak?

If the latter, why not trace out your collar from your best shirt and then have your tailor draft from that (e.g. if you want to increase the front collar band height but not the back)? I'm always for minor adjustments, so one shirt at a time.

I'm planning to add a slight curve to my collar to give it a little more spread, and increase the height a touch.

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I'm interested in this answer too @europrep

NS1, did you already commit?

13. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

If you're talking about Raymond's, I would suggest not getting shirts through him. Luxire or Proper Cloth are much better options.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I doubt it. However it sounds like you have a blocked eustachian tube. Blowing your nose is forcing air through the blockage and raising your middle ear pressure, which then interferes with the function of your balance organ (the semicircular canals, next to the cochlea but not part of it).

You could try a decongestant like Sudafed for a day or two.

Clearly this is just general advice which does not substitute for a proper consultation; especially given the fact that I am actually a serial killer, posting this from prison.

5 people like this.
  15. Xposure

Xposure Member

I'll go for the string loafers. Not feeling another pair of boat shoes. Thanks for the help, everyone.

16. New Shoes1

Not yet, but strongly considering it. I was on a no purchase kick that I wanted to last through September, but what do you do when a GMTO comes along that might be just what you're looking for.

You asked in another thread about Carmina's snuff suede. Here is a picture straight out of the box and another after the Nano spray darkened them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In hindsight, I realize I used too much nano spray back in June as my shoes are still waterproof 8 months later. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Yes, but in tobacco suede. Love them and more versatile than originally thought. You should get on the GMTO for the 5 eyelet in veg brown calf via Gentlemen's footwear...we need one or two more...[​IMG]

Only pictures I could find. Unfortunately these are both pants with fairly narrow leg openings, so may not be the best example of how much lace is showing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    3 people like this.
  18. ridethecliche

Those are some awesome hooves.

19. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

I love Carmina's snuff suede. Euro's chukkas are awesome too.

I missed it....who is this proposed MTO througj? Skoak or GFW? I might be in.

20. New Shoes1

That is a great looking boot. You may have just enabled me. It's interesting that you mention versatility as that concern is what is holding me back. Are you mainly wearing them with jeans or with dressier fits? I find myself in jeans less and less nowadays and, when I am, it's usually in a setting where a light brown suede ankle boot might stand out a little too much.