1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jfrater

jfrater Well-Known Member

Haha good to know you are consistent :) I ended up buying all those ties you recommended. I love the color and pattern on the ones that have arrived so far. The quality difference is very noticeable (the tie above is J Press I think) - the Kiton and Marinella ties are some of the nicest feeling silk I own while the J Press is far more standard.

2. jfrater

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the advice so far. You have all made a huge difference to my wardrobe already and will continue to do so over the forthcoming weeks as my many online orders arrive. I appreciate it immensely (though my wallet doesn't I must confess!)

2 people like this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

How does the J Press knot?

In general, I doubt any standard brand is going to compare favorably with Marinella. I've actually not liked Kiton all the much. The two that I have owned, the lining was too thick for the seven fold construction. I've long since parted with these.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Hear hear Cleav!

1 person likes this.
  5. jfrater

I haven't worn one yet but I'll let you know once it does. I quite like the weight of the kiton ties but I also love unlined

6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:cheers:

7. akoustas

akoustas Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

Nice link. Note that they all appear to be seconds though, with very visible runs. Definitely work the pick up if the run is elsewhere but the front blade.

Where was the Toronto sale? And please don't say Toronto.

9. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Holt Renfrew.

Can those type of runs be fixed? That is, can you cut one end of the run to pull it out to make it look good?

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

careful of those pulls/snags. not in good places. may be wrong but they've got some years on shoulders, to coin a phrase :nodding:

11. akoustas

Holts is probably the most expensive store in Toronto. They usually err towards very fashion forward brands and my best guess is that Drake's isn't exactly a top seller. They are new, but with that caveat.

I actually got three in perfect shape, thought this listing might have had as much luck (apparently not!)

12. Claghorn

Next time, get everything and sell on B&S [​IMG] Most won't mind paying a small mark up.

13. othertravel

I would say "V" in yorkville is the most expensive. They have attolini, Kiton, etc...

14. akoustas

Yes, definitely for mens. That being said you can get a $20,000 dress at Holts. Quite frankly I don't make a habit of going to either.

15. othertravel

The Holts sale has completely changed how much I'm willing to for a Drake's tie now. Now even when I see a Drake's for between $70-$100, I still think it's too much.

16. jfrater

I'm just posting this here because I don't have full length and I want an opinion on the ensemble.

[​IMG]

Jacket is Brioni and pocket square is Liberty - everything else is thrift or old.

1 person likes this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Indeed she is. Don't know if she already knows about this, or whether she's interested, but I'll pass it on. Thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

I think that's pretty solid in this sense: navy/blue jacket, burnt orange/rust tie, cream square over blue shirt. Hard to quibble about that, IMO.

The bee is distracting though (is that what it is?), a bit too cute, but YMMV. I'm not so sure about the coat pattern either.

1 person likes this.
  19. jfrater

Haha it is a bee - I have a very big thing for bee motifs.

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn