1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jfrater

jfrater Well-Known Member

The shirt is textured - white on white - I have a very limited supply of solids right now - more coming in the mail!

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  3. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

4. jfrater

Okay back to shirts. I am about to place a big order so I need your help:

1. What fabric/weave should I be choosing for shirts to go with suits or jackets (always with a tie)
    2. How many shades of solid blue should I get and how many solid whites should I get?
    3. how many and what color stripes should I get (size wise - do I want pencil stripes, butcher stripes, etc?)

I won't bother with anything else in terms of patterns as I obviously already have a million :)

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

If you hold off for a few hours, I'll make a list of the first ten I'd getting, using Luxire as a source for images.

1 person likes this.
  6. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

My advice: don't place a big order just yet. Not until you've figured out what you like best.

2 people like this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

1. I am not super particular about a specific fabric. As long as it has some texture to it, I am ok. The one thing I dont like is overly flat shirting material. Just make sure that the fabric is coherent with whatever else you are wearing.

2. I would say 3 shades of solid blue, all in the lighter blue variety. Not dark blue and not deep blue. Two white shirts is fine imo. One royal oxford and one more like a dobby.

3. Three stripes I would say, smaller scale stripes, even in width, 2 of them, and one with more spaced out blue stripes. After that you can add a wide butcher stripe if you like, but I dont personally wear those with a tie much. Instead I would just get more thinner stripes in different shades of blue.

So is my opinion anyways.

8. jfrater

I can definitely wait :) I'll buy some ties while I wait :)

9. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

But why would you place a big order of shirts now? Have you already worked out which collar shape/size works best for you? How about fit? Fused collar vs. unfused? Etc. etc.
    If I were you I would try the tasting menu first...

2 people like this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I would say 3 blues something like this.

This happens to be herringbone, but I like it, the rest should be solid, but about this color/shade/hue

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-75605-kiton-blue-shirt-slim-15-us-38-eu.aspx

[​IMG]

I would get stripes like these:

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-75543-luigi-borrelli-blue-shirt-extra-slim-1575-us-40-eu.aspx

[​IMG]

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-75611-kiton-light-blue-shirt-slim-15-us-38-eu.aspx

[​IMG]

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-75398-luigi-borrelli-blue-shirt-extra-slim-17-us-43-eu.aspx

[​IMG]

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-75581-luigi-borrelli-blue-shirt-extra-slim-1575-us-40-eu.aspx

[​IMG]

And here is a white.

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-75076-luigi-borrelli-white-shirt-extra-slim-16-us-41-eu.aspx

[​IMG]

Im not saying to get those exact shirts, but I think that is a very good guide to beginner solid blue, white, and striped shirts.

As Elio mentioned, also keep in mind collar shape and length.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

My experience is that I tend to regret hurried orders and multiple orders more than well-considered one-offs.

Have u got the perfect fit keyed in with the maker yet?

3 people like this.
  12. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

Here's what came back tonight (and an equivalent group went out to the cleaners):

[​IMG]

It's just the casual and business casual set, I do my own laundry for my nicer shirts (which are also all blue, white, or blue and white).
    L-R:
    8 blue OCBD in varying shades
    2 blue/white university stripe OCBD
    6 blue button down pinpoints in varying shade
    4 blue and white stripe button downs in varying shades
    1 small blue and white check button down
    6 flannels
    2 overdyed OCBDs (blue and loden)

3 people like this.
  13. jfrater

I have two shirts that fit great and have a collar style I love. I have sent the measurements and lots of photos to Luxire - this will be my second shirt from them (the first was excellent) - so as long as this one is as perfect a fit as the other ones I should be good to go (I'll wait to get it back first). My choice has a very soft collar with 3.5" points.

14. jfrater

Thanks for those - I happen to love Borrelli (though the royal version fits better) and Kiton. I nearly bought that Kiton shirt the other day in fact - but I am now waiting to do this through Luxire based on my Liverano and Borrelli Royal measurements.

15. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

16. jfrater

I'll let you know how they do with my order - it's a mix of the best parts from the two shirts - Liverano collar but borrelli royal body. Hopefully a marriage made in heaven :) Have you had anything other than shirts made by them?

1 person likes this.
  17. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

18. jfrater

Did you use measurements from an existing pair or did you send something in? Were you happy with the result? Have you had any made by Kent Wang?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  19. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Send in! I'm telling you, I've done it both ways with Luxire and if you want the best results, send in your best fitting piece with requested alterations.