1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jfrater

jfrater Well-Known Member

Ah that is very interesting and answers a question I had which is "why are Turnbull and Asser shirts so stripey and contrary to SF in most cases?"

Almost all my T&A shirts are in the garage gathering dust. The ones I photographed are the most conservative I have. I am planning on spending time in London this year - maybe I ought to dust off a few of the others :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Ian, I disagree with that. When you wear convertible cuffs as a barrel cuff there's no way to tell they're convertible, and with cufflinks they're nice too, as double cuffs can be a bit bulky. Besides, single cuffs used to be quite common, so it's not like you're breaking a 'menswear rule'.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I like the monochrome look. Extremely elegant and absolutely has its place. Blue shirt and neat tie could work too but that's a very different look.

4. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Me too. If I had more time it's something I'd like to master.

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Well I agree with your first point if you are wearing them with buttons or links that look a lot like buttons, but when worn single-cuff style with cufflinks they always look a bit weedy to me. There's that famous pic of Michael Caine wielding a shotgun with wimpy looking single cuffs. Horses for courses I suppose, I like the 'bulk' of French cuffs with suits, and I suppose over time I've ended up with a lot of staples in both French cuffs for wear with suits and button cuffs for wear with odd jackets.

6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Outside of a few shirts I wear with sweaters, that sounds like my collection.

Indeed not. Really well done, jfrat.

Monochrome is the ish. I love it.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Good, post the full fit in WAYWRN.

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

9. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

That's for checking up on me Clags. And thanks to those that shared their thoughts on their first 5 choices. I learned a ton and I'm glad I'll get to collect more than 5 ties (eventually).

I'm still waiting for HR to give me a start date on my job so my purchasing has been almost non-existing BUT my clothing planning spreadsheet is off the charts.

That said I was able to pick up my first two "real ties" with some xmas money and birthday money. Woohoo I've never been so happy about buying a tie before :)

I picked up the green neat from Henry Carter that Clags recommended. Having it go on sale made it easy.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hober as well. Just trying to figure out witch one.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but my wife has taken a big interest in my new hobby. She's been reading some of the GNAT thread with me and checking out the WAYWRN composite and taking notes.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

@Claghorn
    I want to move to Seoul.

11. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

This is a cross-post from last week on the EP thread. This isn't really business dress, but I have a lot of latitude with my job, so I just wear what I like. I really need a tie recommendation for this. I'm trying to only purchase Hober ties from here on out as most OTR ties are too long … need about a 53-54". I appreciate the help gentlemen :)

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I think the square is a bit out of place for that jacket.

I think a linen or shantung tie would look cool with that jacket.

13. Monkeyface

I believe I saw that some of you were looking to make Luxire trousers. Here is the result of sending in your own trousers with some adjustments.

Details: Dugdale flannel, double pleated, sewn in crease (military crease), coin pocket, side adjusters, slanted 2" cuffs, and 9" leg openings. Good luck finding that RTW for $99.

Now obviously they need a pressing to smooth out all of the folds and wrinkles from shipping, but I thought I'd post some quick fit pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    4 people like this.
  14. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Thanks! Maybe a darker square too? I got the jacket in the marketplace and I really like it, but the pattern and color is a bit outta my wheelhouse, so it's a bit of a challenge for me. I like the shantung idea. I'm thinking a solid textured tie is best … I can't think of any appropriate patterns/colors that would work.

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Some of the details aren't necessarily my jam, but those trousers look great, MF.

16. jfrater

Very very nice - those trousers certainly give me the confidence to go ahead! How long did they take?

17. Monkeyface

Cheers! I get they're not everyone's cup of tea. Getting wider trousers has been the biggest revelation for me in 2014. They look better on me and they're so much more comfy than RTW, which was always a bit too tight in the quads, even with alterations. The pleats are mainly for extra comfort when sitting down, as I (unfortunately) spend about 12 hours in a row sitting in front of my screens every day. When you wear a jacket they're hidden from sight, not that I think they're that unsightly.

About 4 weeks from me sending them in.

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Damn, Luxire nailed the fit on those pants, MF. Rock on with your bad self.

2 people like this.
  19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Great trousers, @Monkeyface. I am not sure pleats will ever win me over, but you wear them well. Thanks for taking the time to post a photo.

1 person likes this.
  20. jfrater

As promised, the full length shot. It's overcast today but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.