1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I have one navy SC and that is all I need.

2. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Quote:
    I agree with ArchibaldLeach and others that it's donegal, herringbone, and some kind of check, but I think the gap between the first two options and the third is substantial. As in, I would get two each of donegal and herringbone in some combination of dark brown, rust, green, and blue before I would get a tweed check.

For me, flannel looks so much better in checked patterns than tweed, whether it's a shepherd's check like the beautiful fall melange you wore recently, a guncheck like NMWA and others are selling from Eidos, or a larger windowpane.

On staples generally, the reason we overload on them is because with staples, minute differences matter most. I'll never have two grey PoW check SCs in my wardrobe at the same time because they aren't versatile enough for me to make fine distinctions between them. If I like one better than the other, one's got to go. Yet I have five solid navy jackets and two patterned navy/blue jackets, and will likely add two more in the not-so-distant future, because to me there's a world of difference between a herringbone navy flannel with flap pockets and a super 120s navy blazer with patch in terms of how they affect a look. That doesn't even account for differences in quality, which shine through loudest when variables are kept to a minimum.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Your ability to keep your wardrobe manageable does you a great deal of credit in my book and speaks to the value of versatility, but how many navy or blue suits do you own and wear regularly? For those who don't play the suit game regularly, one navy ain't gonna cut it.

Also, you don't count your Eidos guncheck as a navy?

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

jcmeyer, I don't find the tie as repellant as others seem to. I think it would be lovely in a spring/summer combination (including a blue linen or fresco suit). It's horrible with the recent combo, though.

1 person likes this.
  5. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

You're horrible with the recent combo!

:nodding: Appreciate the helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Okay, perhaps that was a bit forcefully stated. :)

7. in stitches

Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.

While I am a known koppaholic, with little to no self restraint, I also keep a pretty tight wardrobe, and I sell a lot. For three reasons.

1. Im not in a financial position to have everything I want.

2. It bothers me to have things that I wear with great infrequency, it feels wasteful. That is partially related to the above.

3. I have limited closet and dresser space.

That being said, my wardrobe consists of the following.

5 suits.

• Solid navy birdseye - SB
    • Gray PoW - SB
    • Light blue - SB
    • Chocolate brown - DB
    • Gray donegal-ish - DB (in the works)

6 SC's (all SB)

• Solid navy birdseye (not optimal and probably out at some point)
    • Solid navy perfect SC (in the works)
    • Solid brown (semi-optimal will probably head out next year if I have a better one made up)
    • Solid gray/brown/purple
    • Navy/light blue with orange overcheck gunclub
    • Gray/blue gunclub

Maybe 10 pairs of pants, grays, tans, browns, a navy and a green.

About a dozen pairs of shoes.

10 coats (truly excessive but that is my real weak spot)

But I have a lot of shirts and ties, probably 50 of each, and about 10 PSs

I feel that due to the fact that most of my suits/SCs/pants are solid and pretty much staples, together with the larger sized shirt and tie collection, I can create a lot of different looks. I also have a fair amount of sweaters, casual pants, and SWD ish.

With all that in play, I really never get the feeling that I am wearing the same thing over and over again. More often I actually feel like I have too much.

I have no illusions that for a normal person I have a small wardrobe, but I think for an SFer, I keep it pretty tight. Im in a spot where I dont really feel I need to add anything, and the only thing I think I really want to add is a flannel navy wide chalk stripe peak lapeled suit. Not for necessity but because I want to indulge in one.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share that. :)

7 people like this.
  8. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

QFT. :teach:

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I sympathize with your second point (being bothered by having stuff that you don't wear often), @in stitches. Where do you draw the line for too infrequent use? Just curious.

10. in stitches

I don't have a number, it's really just more of a feeling of non useage or if I feel Im only wearing it to justify having it or if I feel the use is limited and the piece is not amazing enough to justify the limited use.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

@bourbonbasted

@in stitches

Found some blue windowpane jackets in an old Attolini lookbook. The navy one still rubs me the wrong way

I like this one the most

[​IMG]

Hate
    [​IMG]

Meh

[​IMG]

12. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Bonus green

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

First and third rock so hard. I feel meh about the green and the navy with white pane. It would be awesome as a casual jacket though.

14. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

The shoulders seem so strangely structured in these - why is that?

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Surely you meant to say you have a big wardrobe compared to the average person? I think you really overestimate the amount of money the average person spends on clothes.

Most guys I know have 3-4 suits, no blazers or odd trousers, 10 shirts, 5-10 ties and 3-4 pairs of shoes, and they all make $200k+ without any children or a mortgage. They'll have maybe 2 or 3 pairs of jeans or chinos, a couple of sweaters, t shirts and OCBDs for casual wear, and that's about it.

The realization that I've been spending at least double, if not triple, the amount of my peers, has made stop buying for a while now. Technically, I could afford it, I make plenty of money, but the cost doesn't justify the benefit for me anymore.

16. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Stitchy it's perfect timing to get in on the Formosa GMTO navy chalk stripe!

17. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Flannel odd jacket and flannel odd trousers: too much flannel? OK if there's some textural difference? OK period? I'm over-thinking this?

18. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

You can never have enough flannel except in the case of bespoke undergarments.

1 person likes this.
  19. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Guys guys guys, this isn't CM or very SF-ish, but what do you guys think of these fashion walkway whatever outfits? I'm having a disagreement with someone.

[​IMG]

20. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member