1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I've also considered this. I actually have a pair already, and they're great. As Murl pointed out (and Betel is doing), they should have some texture to them. Cavalry twill is one of the most classic versions, but I think tan flannel looks pretty great as well. If I'm not completely mistaken I think @Pingson owns a pair.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I have tropical weight worsted cream and tan. I wear both, but the tan gets little love.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Fawn flannel looks very nice though, and it's on my list of future Luxire purchases. It's perfect for casual Fridays or slightly more countrified weekend wear.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Help would be appreciated, gentlemen.

I'm looking for a polka dot tie similar to the following:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The polka dots on the tie above looks light beige and not white, no?
    [​IMG]
    The polka dots on the tie above may be a wee bit to large

This Cappelli would be a home run if the base was brown:

[​IMG]

An alternative is the following Sam Hober tie, but I think the dots are a tiny bit to small:

[​IMG]

In addition to the Hober tie, Patrizio showed me this tie, but the dots are beige, not white:

[​IMG]

I don't know if I like it as much as white polka dots.

Help where I could find what I'm looking for would be appreciated.

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

them polka dots are a bit too big. I would try smaller. The hober (2nd one choice) seems good.

6. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Tom Ford has tonnes of ties with that type of design. I'd say check ebay. Edit. Found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Tom-Ford-Tie-/301333608179?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item4628e1f6f3 http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-FORD-10...260953308?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item43d08172dc http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Tom-Ford-Tie-/291255499931?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item43d02e3c9b http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Ford-Br...268180700?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item1e90317adc http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Tom-Ford-Tie-/291255499054?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item43d02e392e

7. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

+1

I have the same issue. That said, my understanding is that a drop shoulder can be fixed with some exercises. Anybody have experience with this?

8. DonRaphael

Thanks for the feedback. I already own some conservative pin dot ties. This time I'm out for something else, that is larger (polka) dots with more distance to one other.

Thanks for the help. I knew that the rust/orange one was a TF tie, but felt it had a little to much sheen to it. Will look into your suggestions, though. I want one with a dark brown base. Appreciate the help.

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Excellent PoW ties, Tweedy.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I'm really not a fan of those larger scale dots. I really like the look of pindot ties way more.

As a side note, I'm going to try to post 3-4 fits this week, including one in my suit pre-conference as well! Might try to stick to the challenge theme for all of them just for fun. Maybe I'll even enter!

1 person likes this.
  11. DonRaphael

As I said, I own the following in navy, brown and burgundy
    [​IMG]
    When you have a collection of appr. 40 ties and most of them are safe bets/staples, I'd say it's ok to take some risks with larger prints =)

12. The Noodles

Keep or Burn? It's black. Label says 100% cotton but it is thick and feels like valcroid(?)

[​IMG]

13. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

BURN!

2 people like this.
  14. The Noodles

Good. I bought it from Banana Republic like 8 years ago when I didn't know right from left.
    Burn, it will!

15. Celadon

Celadon Well-Known Member

Could it be washed and bleached to grey?

2 people like this.
  16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the bigger polka dots sometimes - they have a slightly more jaunty and less CBD air about them. I have a very jaunty Japanese purple silk tie with cream polka dots, which I like to wear in summer. But I like more soporific small dots too. On the ties with bigger dots, the reason for the cream / beige colour might be to offset the impression of the size of the dots just a little...

On an etymological note, trivia fans: the smaller dots aren't 'polka' dots at all, and actually, none of these are true polka dots by the original meaning of the term, if they are spaced significantly more than the diameter of the dot.

2 people like this.
  17. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

tbh I just want noodle's tie, I think from Vanda. That's all I need for dots.

2 people like this.
  18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Oh man, I want these:

http://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=38#

And @noodles ,I've found some banana republic ties with really nice construction and material. As for my own personal tie collection: I have a ton of which most are useless. I spent a few hours cleaning things out last night and have two giant boxes of things for donations. I guess that's a small price to pay for the lesson learnt.

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

I want these: http://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=34

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.