1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

RTC, I sent you a pm...

1 person likes this.
  2. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

If I were you in addition to that I'd look at these :D

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-74159-orazio-luciano-gray-suit-42-us-52-eu.aspx
    http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-71926-orazio-luciano-navy-blue-suit-42-us-52-eu.aspx
    http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-63311-luigi-borrelli-gray-suit-size-40-us-50-eu.aspx
    http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-71918-orazio-luciano-gray-suit-40-us-50-eu.aspx

@Cleav A vote for Smoked MOP

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

But the bulk of what we find is not for us. I keep a very small fraction of the things I find. The rest is sold to fund my habit.

I think Stitchy's point is that too often a thrifter will buy and wear something merely because it was cheap and available and provide such as his excuse for wearing it. This is also true of many who make purchases elsewhere too (the recent extensive debate regarding some bespoken wares, for example). The advice that he is trying to impart, if I can be so bold, is that this is a false economy. Wiser to buy better and fewer. Which, incidentally, is true whatever one's price range.

4. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

They have similar measurements.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

On that point, I concur completely. He's absolutely right about that.

I've definitely become far more picky about the stuff I find for myself these days. Honestly, I have enough stuff now that I'm starting to thin out my herd and donate some stuff I don't find myself wearing too often because it doesn't fit right.

It was a hard lesson to learn, but I agree with him that leaner wardrobes are much more utilitarian especially for starting off.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Aight, here's another one. We're all over the place (I am mostly to blame).
    We decided to start swimming at an indoor pool facilities. I probably would go to Target for some trunks but this one could look bawssss(?).
    [​IMG]

7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

^ TBH, looks like something a child molestor would wear...

Or maybe the Jersey Shore

1 person likes this.
  8. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Also, on Eidos, I'm tempted to buy one of the jackets, but the quarters on that Lorenzo cut never look right.

Are you gonna kop one Noodles?

9. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  10. The Noodles

I am about to noodle something. It could be a SS or it could be Eidos or even one of Kulata's suggestion. I really don't have any good suits besides the one.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Spill the beans!

12. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

I thought you were saving your pennies for Formosa? If you've found a maker and cut that fits, why mess with anything else? Doesnt seem like the prices for the other options are that much less.

1 person likes this.
  13. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Not sure the Lorenzo will work for you, try another Eldos if you want Eidos. Very open quarters and wide hips....hmmm not so sure.

2 people like this.
  14. The Noodles

Very true. I will stick with Formosas but the last SS suit that I posted is tempting. Eidos is was more out of curiosity. Just wanted to know more facts on them. Also, Formosa suits have not been restocked yet so SS would make sense until NMWA restocks. This one below is only $500 so it won't hurt my pocket that much.

[​IMG]

Open quarters bother me too. Just wanted people to share their first-hand experience with Eidos since I have none.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

16. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

Hey Noodle-bros, can I get some help with shirt/tie pairings with this newly acquired suit:

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: I bought the suit online and just threw on a random shirt and tie to check the fit of the suit when I opened the package. I know it's way too busy to actually wear this combo.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

@The Noodles - :facepalm: - Don't get me wrong, the suit looks nice. It's just that it is not particularly versatile. Your other good suit (the Formosa) already has a windowpane pattern so alternating that and a POW seems a bit suboptimal. Solids. Solids. Solids. Then go play and have fun with patterns once you have staples you like.

3 people like this.
  18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

You look like you've been taking fashion advice from pre-SF RTC.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

+1 to Archibald

You don't want to be "that guy" with the blue glen plaid suit and the grey glen plaid suit