1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

The Minnis is more of a traditional woolen flannel while the Dugdale is in a twill weave that is more solid. I personally like the texture of the Minnis better, but both are good depending on what you want. The Hunt & Winterbotham seems to generally be more similar to the Minnis in terms of texture. The H&W at 12 ounces vs. 14 ounce weights for the Minnis / Dugdale may make them more attractive if you don't need the extra warmth.

1 person likes this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Older people may be more likely to wear pleated trousers. They're probably more likely to wear higher rise trousers too. That said, it is wrong to say that such things are specifically for older people. I'm still a flat front fan, but I definitely would not have a negative reaction to a young person wearing pleated trousers nor an old person wearing flat fronts. The only thing that matters is what looks best on you. Pleats are a bit more forgiving, can help create a nice drape to the trouser if the rise is high enough and look better seated than flat fronts. Good fit is important for both.

Pleats look best with a higher rise. Flat fronts can work with a low rise. I like them fine with a higher rise too, but that is a bit more controversial.

3. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

Nah, they're coming back in a big way. Plus, when you get used to the look, they're quite aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

A hotel maid came up to our room to clean and she started speaking to me in Chinese. I told her I was not Chinese. She told me that I sure looked like one. This is the same maid who spoke to my wife in English when I was not there. Wtf?!

2 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I'd wear those. It looks great!

Curious what the leg opening is though!

1 person likes this.
  6. The Noodles

Hmmm...I just like a clean flat front. That's just me. My statement regarding pleated pants were just something I picked up while growing up. Good to get some clarification.

I thut wide lapels looked old fashioned but now am loving them. Maybe I will change my views after I look into them more.

7. ridethecliche

I still don't like the wide lapels.

8. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

When you have a sizeable behind then pleats become a necessity or flat fronts with darts.

1 person likes this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll go for the H&B then, the weight looks good and I think I'd prefer the texture over the Dugdale.

Yep, I've found pleats to be much more comfortable, especially when sitting down. I spend 12 hours a day in my office chair, while I walk maybe an hour, so comfort is very important. Pleats are mainly a tailoring technique to help the transition of a narrower waist to wider legs, so it's very beneficial for athletic and portly people. People often forget that trousers are a very three dimensional object, so if you think about how trousers are being made, that extra fabric for the legs/hips/seat can't come out of nowhere. Pleats also break up the lines a bit, as a high rise flat front trouser can look a bit odd at times.

They're actually making a comeback in RTW, as I had predicted about half a year ago. I'm seeing them more and more in London, and brands such as Suitsupply are starting to make pleated trousers, and higher end brands are following as well. Won't be long before flat fronts are out of style, not that you should care about that. Wear whatever looks best on your body type.
    8.5"

10. ridethecliche

And if you don't mind offering, what's your height/weight?

11. Monkeyface

6'2", 190lbs.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

I have no @ss...

13. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

Don't be so hard on yourself Noodles.

Sorry I couldn't resist

2 people like this.
  14. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I've had my first pleated trousers made recently and they were AMAZING. I'll post pics soon but they look good, just different, but feels really nice while still fairly slim.

2 people like this.
  15. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I think we both said the same exact thing in different words which left me confused.

16. ridethecliche

Thanks, it looks really good.

I was asking because a suit I had altered has the same width, and I'm unsure whether I want to go lower. It's a BBGF suit, so not really cut slim. I think it looks pretty darn good though! I'll probably take it back to get slightly more tapered.

And murl, winter sucks here. So so bad.

17. Monkeyface

You're lifting weights, right? Better not to make things too slim, because your body will look very different a year from now if you keep lifting. For suits I have 8.75"-9" leg openings, and for odd trousers 8.5".

18. ridethecliche

I'm 5 10 and 170 with 8/8.5 shoes, having pants with 8ish is probably the sweet spot for me.

19. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how many years you've been here, but wait until you go through a winter where it really snows. Last year was abnormally freezing all over this region but we got pretty lucky in terms of snowfall.

20. ridethecliche

I've been in New England for 8 years.

Four years at wesleyan in ct for undergrad and 4 years now in beantown.

I prefer the snow. It's sloppy but it's typically a warmer winter. Last winter was brutally cold through and through. It sucked.