1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Celadon

Celadon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Fudge, I worked 'til 3 AM this morning and the first thing I do when upon opening my computer is to check SF. [​IMG]
    Going back to sleep now.

2 people like this.
  4. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

Priorities = straight :D

1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

I check emails on my phone at any time of night if I wake up.

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

I'm dialing back on my obsession as the dog days come to an end and teaching lurks. The Eidos drops at NMWA however...

But a side note. I'm trying to think of pushing a little bit on tie patterns, beyond repps, solids, grenadines. I've avoided neats as I don't wear suits, but been looking at Drake's more "whimsical" things and puzzled by who would wear them and when they would look good. I'm less certain whether such things will work.

Case in point. Here's one that makes me think of popcorn but I wonder if it will work, large scale pattern on a navy background, light jacket.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Worn as follows:
    [​IMG]
    Thoughts?

7. in stitches

From a purely visual standpoint, I do not like the tie, but in that fit, it looks good.

I would guess its not a very versatile tie. But the truth is, my ties dont get worn more than once or twice a year anyways, so I am not sure how important versatility for a tie is, when worn so infrequently.

2 people like this.
  8. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I get that neats work best with suits. But I don't get the "neats don't work with odd jackets" line of thought. I think they look fine in that context, provided the jacket isn't too country. Even then, perhaps there are exceptions.

Regardless, I'd be plenty happy with a neat and a blue blazer.

5 people like this.
  9. in stitches

Depends on the neat and the jacket. That is certainly a more whimsical neat, so I think it lends itself to an odd jacket well. On the other hand, when wearing a solid navy SC, a more "formal" neat will also work well imo.

1 person likes this.
  10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

The hand and texture of the panama silk on that tie is unreal. Really something else.

3 people like this.
  11. TweedyProf

Set aside "neats only with suits". The question is whether you like that tie. I agree that outside of the fit, I wouldn't have picked it, but within the fit, it isn't bad, indeed, I kind of like it.

Greg, I know you do since you stock it!

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

I dig it, especially in that fit.

13. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

The pattern on that tie gives me a very post-war vibe.

1 person likes this.
  14. TweedyProf

Mkt: a bit enigmatic...care to elaborate?

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I kinda like that pattern. I wouldn't wear it every day, but it's certainly not garish. I think that the groupthink here on StyFo has narrowed the range of acceptable patterns to a fairly conservative common denominator. For example, some of my brighter striped ties fall outside the spectrum of approval, but I still love them.

2 people like this.
  16. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

I remember when the Noodles thread was so full of life (and posts) that it was such a great distraction for me from doing my work. Now every time I pull it up all I see is 1 unread post and that forces me to go back to work sooner than I wanted to.

17. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

I quite like it but what do I know, I bought the Bigi Confetti. ;)

Looking at the pic, the tie would look more harmonious if it wasn't spread out like that, rather tail end in keeper.

18. TweedyProf

It goes in phases, like all threads. This one has a bit of life given the core denizens (you know who you are)...

That's the challenge: one has to imagine the fit from a pic of the tie. I've have several failures, alas, by this method. Seeing a pic of someone wearing it as in the Carson Street Photo is very helpful.

Actually: I wonder if tie selection would be aided by a fit of a shirt/jacket pairing along with the tie, placed in an artistic way. With someone that has good taste and owns a store (ahem, Greg)...this might be very helpful and perhaps not that much time consuming. No imagination is perfect.

19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I do not like that tie, said Sam I am.

I do not like it with a suit. I do not like it in that fit, I do not like it not one bit.

1 person likes this.
  20. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

@TweedyProf, that tie is a bit garish for my taste and probably not that versatile. Of course, once you have enough ties, versatility is overrated. I have approximately 50 ties but am willing to bet that 20 of them probably do 80% of the lifting in my tie wardrobe.