1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

This is what we call tax fraud. It definitely happens a fair amount, especially with cash businesses and the like, but fines and the possibility of prison make it not exactly the smartest choice in life. I'd rather have the large paycheck and suck up the taxes. Most people who are abusing the system like this probably don't make enough that they'd owe much federal income tax anyways and by not paying into social security they are guaranteeing the won't see anything from it.

Incidentally, the greater of the sales tax or state income taxes you pay can be deducted from taxable income for federal tax purposes, but I'm sure you already knew that.

5 people like this.
  2. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Real estate taxes, property taxes, state income tax, donations to church, and interest on mortgage are the ones that I can think of that you can claim. But what sales tax are you talking about?

The point is, I feel like the law abiding middle class is being raped and pillaged while others who don't give a rat's arse get all this free money from the gov't. By the way, that friend laughs at me when he talks about all the free gov't money he gets by saying you're funding this! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  3. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Can't say I share that opinion, Noodles, at least from the perspective that it's the poor doing the raping, but I don't know that politics is the direction we want the thread to head. May I suggest a book that might be enlightening though: Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.
    In terms of comparison to the rest of the World, this might be interesting.

6 people like this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

1. Taxes exist. They suck, and yet they are plentiful. Do your best to shelter yourself and write off what you can and #dealwithit when it comes to what you owe.

2. Never ever ever concern yourself with what anyone else is doing. Whatever situation someone else has going on with their money, illegal or not, put it out of your mind, as there is nothing you can do about. There will always be a staggering number of people abusing the system, just consider yourself lucky that you make enough money not to have to worry about doing that.

Someone once told me that welfare, and its abuse, are the price of peace in the streets. Drive down the crappiest parts of DC or Bmore, have a look see at the people loitering around doing nothing, if welfare and welfare abuse is what it takes to keep that population segment happy and lower crime/rioting, I'll take it. Ymmv on that, but its something I can live with, as infuriating as it is in most respects. Basically, life isn't always fair, and that is just the way it is.

3 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

And like Archibald said, it's not exactly a smart choice - nor even a pleasant lifestyle for that matter. It's just a good provocative news story to get the Rep vote out. :)

Back to the subject of titles, I am singularly unqualified in that sense, but I find it baffling that people put these things on their business cards. On a CV, sure, the front page talks loudest so putting your PhD or MBA or whatever next to your name at the top, has some kind of sense I suppose. But do I really give a shit whether the guy I've just met to talk business is a Master of the Arts, of a subject and provenance undefined? That's not information, that's small talk!

(mimo, MBE)

(which is even sillier)

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

FYI: The Carson Street Sale is over on Eidos, or at least the massive discount is gone. 30% now rather than 70%.

7. in stitches

i know. i just called. im really pissed because this morning the website said the 70% off sale was through today, 8/1. im still thinking on that check, but suffice it to say i am pretty mad.

also, when i mentioned i was from SF they asked if i was tweedyprof lol.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Getting this thread off politics (discussion of which can be, but seldom is, good-natured), I'm going to ask what I should do for my 4th navy blazer. Basically, I'm trying to decide whether I want to get something heavier or lighter. I have a RAF linen SB blazer with smoked MOP buttons, a dark navy DB with silver buttons in roughly a 10 ounce worsted, and a navy SB with brass buttons in a 13 ounce Harrison's worsted flannel. I'm debating whether to get something in the 15+ ounce range and DB or a 9-10 ounce Fresco DB with brown horn buttons. I feel like the heavier jacket will get a lot more use in Chicago, but then I'm also considering a navy Donegal sport coat which will probably do a decent job of filling in for the blazer (of course the Donegal jacket would be SB). I'm currently leaning towards getting the Donegal this fall and the Fresco in the spring but am not entirely sold on not getting the heavier navy blazer instead of the Fresco.

1 person likes this.
  9. TweedyProf

Heh, I would have beat you to the last jacket! (actually, we're probably different sizes).

Stitches, are you posing as me?[​IMG]

You must have talked to the owner, Brian. I had emailed him about the jacket. Didn't realize the website said the sale was through today...would have thought that meant the discount was good until today. Anyway, @Monkeyface got a great deal. For me, probably a good thing it is not possible to buy it!

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Wow, talk about timing. To be fair, the 60% discount has been going on for 4 weeks or so, and the 70% for a week.
    This thread promotes being diligent, but when it's such a good deal you're probably better off pulling the trigger straight away than asking lots of questions and doubting. You can probably sell it at cost to someone else. I suppose if you're having doubts it's probably not the right item for you anyway.

1 person likes this.
  11. in stitches

I am fat. You are not. So surely we are not the same size.

I am not posing!! I told him I was in stitches. He was not impressed.

Yup, Brian it was. Very nice, gave me all the measurements I asked for (shoulder seam to seam, pit to pit, waist across buttoned button, length BOC), and answered all questions patiently and clearly. They have changed the website now, I rechecked, but this morning it said clearly til 8/1. Oh well. Im still thinking on it. MF basically stole that.

12. TweedyProf

I had doubts until you took a good pic of it in the last post. Then it looked damn good. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

I love the crap out of it. I was just jet set on kopping at 280 tho. Also, I was home sick yesterday coughing my brains out with an allergy/asthma attack or I would have called them.

1 person likes this.
  14. TweedyProf

Decent argument, not sure I agree with the first premise...but this just shows that your tailoring is well done. You look good, not fat.

2 people like this.
  15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Keep the navy in your office for emergencies.

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

Optical illusions FTW!!!!

17. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

That's a good shout :nodding: Though if you can get rid, get rid!

Doodals, just asking... I remember you calling me out for wearing a black stroller jacket. You, and others were quite right, that said you in the 'black closet' all along? :rotflmao:

1 person likes this.
  18. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Although there's no denying that its happens, the amount of that type of fraud within American poverty programs is actually extremely small. Get mad at it if you want, but most of the people receiving that kind of support aren't doing anything wrong, and the programs are basically the difference between them being homeless and starving to death or not. Personally, I prefer to focus on the substantial benefits of the programs and to ignore the fraud, which will be present in any system, since they're all run by imperfect humans.

8 people like this.
  19. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

LOL. Why am I whining about this when the damage done by Wall St. is much worse?!

I do not remember. That black suit in the picture is from like 3 years ago...when I was like 160 lbs.

As someone who had the honour of seeing him in person, though not in a full suit, he does carry himself VERY well [​IMG], even Mrs. Noodles complimented, "Why can't you dress more like him?!"
    I hope I didn't offend you with that smart@ss remark on WAYWRN.

1 person likes this.
  20. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Tell her that's why you're spending time on SF so you can look good for her. Works for me.

1 person likes this.