1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Just start each course with a little Sidney Poitier film clip and they will get it....
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I will trade styfo poasts for neckties.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    I manage a team of accountants who are under 30 years old (I am 32 [​IMG]). Anyhow, I am a very easy going guy and easy to get along with. And I even joke with them and even play pranks on them. But once I put on my manager hat, they know it and the horse playing [​IMG] stops. It is a fine line that managers have to walk, or in you all's case as professors, in order to keep the workplace, or classrooms, professional. With that, I like to say that there is an employee on vacation and I just put tape underneath his mouse, put his desk phone ringer volume all the way up, and put tape over his phone (the talking end). [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

I think you could trade poasts for Formosas, given how much you've got in the bank!

1 person likes this.
  5. The Noodles

[​IMG]

6. TweedyProf

Quote: LOL noodles.

2 people like this.
  7. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

^ I am leaving my office to go back to school in a week and will have to do this to all my co-workers phones.

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Quote: Funny thing is, he wrote in to say he's not on vacation, he's at your house!

1 person likes this.
  9. The Noodles

[​IMG]

10. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Funny - I was thinking the opposite. Between the three conversing, the two you named, and Claghorn, that's at least six regular posters from academia which is more than I would have expected.

FWIW I agree with the comments on comportment and formality benefiting higher education. In undergrad we were required (as a prevailing social norm) to address both professors and other students formally and I think it tended to elevate the discussion.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with being social towards your professor. My favourite, and also the best economics professor I've ever had, regularly went to the bar with us for a drink or even shots later at night.

I've had a history professor that would take the class outside during nice weather, and was always up for a drink and some discussion after class. Others have bought drinks or food for the entire class during the last class of the semester. A more informal teacher-student relation can aid the transferral of knowledge, at least in my case.

I suppose it's not really possible in the so called factories, with class sizes ranging from 100-400, but I'm really happy that my small liberal arts college had small classes, ranging from 10-25 students. I can say from personal experience that it's so much better to be at an institution that's focused on teaching instead of research.

Of course I initially addressed my professors as professor, and I continued to address them in that way out of respect. Same for my class mates.

12. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

This is interesting as here (in Sweden) I am used to students calling me by my first name and any other way always surprise me at first - it is inevitably foreign exchange students that do this. But then again Sweden is a very egalitarian society and there was a big language reform in the late 60s where formal addressing was deemphasised and eventually disappeared altogether. The word "ni" (the Swedish equivalent of the German "Sie") was replaced with "du" (same as in German, meaning you) and at the same time people pretty much also stopped using titles. However, having spent the better part of five years in North America I am fully aware that using "Dr." or "Professor" is expected from students there (and in my experience pretty much all did).

The rare occasions that you hear someone addressed as "Dr. so and so" in Sweden these days is when you go to the hospital, and even then it's a pretty rare thing. It is slightly ironic, however, since most physicians are not true doctors in Sweden - not in the original meaning of the latin word "docere" (meaning "to teach") but also in that most physicians here do not hold doctoral degrees awarded by a university. But anyway, I digress......

13. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

I'm also an academic, and a youthful one at that. Those of you who have seen my fit pics know that I look like I'm about 25 (though I will turn 30 this year). Part of why I dress more traditionally is to offer a visual reminder to my students that I am a professional, not a peer. Doing it with clothes allows me to be more informal and jocular in our interactions, though I do appreciate being called "Professor."

The politics of "Dr." on university campuses in the United States are interesting. At many of our oldest institutions, "Dr." is seen as a kind of gaucherie (don't ask me why). It may have something to do with Professor being the title of a position, and Dr. sounding more like a rank or social distinction, but that's only a guess. I don't mind when students call me "Dr.", but I gravitate towards "Professor" when asked which I prefer.

14. The Noodles

Well since Professor Pingson digressed, I would like to share a nice photograph of his students and of him...somewhere in the background.
    [​IMG]

15. topos

topos Well-Known Member

16. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

It would be the very foolish student who was explicit about their belief that they paid for their grade, but I stand behind my assertion that many, if not most, of the entitled student behavior I witness is related to the differences in what we are valuing in our mutual interactions

1 person likes this.
  17. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

Yup, looks pretty much right. That's what all women looks like in Sweden. Right @EFV @Anden?

18. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Clearly not an engineering professor!

19. TweedyProf

I wouldn't say the inference is given that I pay 50K, I should get an A, but more complicated like given that I pay 50K and I'm not getting an A, this means that something is likely wrong on your end. Then you get a parent calling in etc. That has happened to me, and the parental intervention I found bizarre and inappropriate (there are, of course, parental interventions that can be appropriate, but bad grades at a university is not one of them). I have also heard the medical school line too.

Here's the fundamental issue for me (speaking to a student now): are you ready to be an adult, a grownup, someone who take responsibility?

If you aren't, then you need to learn how to be. Recognizing formality where it exists is part of being grown up. Treating people in a way appropriate to a social context etc. is part of being a grown up. Looking up information, thinking for yourself, etc.

PS: my academic count (faculty) is now up to 7.

20. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

Actually, they look like the girls next door in the area I'm currently residing.

2 people like this.