1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Wow, MF. It's not your week. =/

2. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Oh my, those are ugly in a good way. :D

I can see it working with Jeans, Chinos and of course in rough weather.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

MF: the universe is trying to tell you something. It's time to don a pair of cargo shorts, flip flops, a t-shirt and cheap sunglasses for the rest of your NYC trip.

1 person likes this.
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Haha, I don't even own any of those things. It would certainly raise some eyebrows. I'd probably get asked whether I've gone mad and then get sent home to change.

You're right though, New York hasn't been good for me, sartorially speaking, but there's not much I can do about it, so no need to worry. Luckily, it's Friday, so I can drown my sorrows tonight!

2 people like this.
  5. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I love those shoes SB. For $100 they're a steal. They'll certainly work with a lot of your stuff.

2 people like this.
  6. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

In case you didn't see this in the Epaulet thread.

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

yes, donate it. i dont think the impoverished or homeless are concerned with stains as much as they are about keeping warm.

also, how did your girl handle the break up?

2 people like this.
  8. Monkeyface

I think I'll dryclean it, maybe it can be salvaged, but otherwise I'll donate it.

The jacket was my birthday gift from her, and she was absolutely inconsolable about ruining it, even though it wasn't her fault at all. I told her it's the thought behind the gift that matters, and that I appreciate that she knows how much I like clothes. In the end it's only a jacket, and it can be replaced, unlike her, as she's a real keeper.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    10 people like this.
  9. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Awww [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

ITT: we learn that MF is a sweet guy. good on you, mayne.

2 people like this.
  11. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

Geez, I gave my (ex) girlfriend the evil eye when I reached down to retrieve her cell phone under the passenger seat and came up with a lube smudge from the track mechanism on my Inglese sleeve. We broke up like the next day (she wasn't a keeper, though we'd been together 3 yrs).

The Inglese Incident, while unspoken, may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back, though in truth the end was very near.

MF, I envy your even temperament, proportional sense of values and the fact that you got yourself a keeper. Good for you, mate.

1 person likes this.
  12. Monkeyface

Awww, thanks guys!

Here's the replacement jacket, a lambskin one. The guys in the store said it'll age beautifully and get a little darker over time. It's super soft leather, and hopefully it'll have a longer life than the last one.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Nice. We have that one in store too and on sale.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Dearest Greg,

I know this question has been asked over and over but I will ask. When will you be restocking the Formosa suits? I believe you said this Fall. Is that sometime in September?

Thanks

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

But you dumped her careless ass anyway, right? Like a SF bawssss.... [​IMG]

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

My at the time girlfriend bought me a tie for our first Christmas together. Needless to say, I married her.

2 people like this.
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Sorry. I don't like light leather jackets. I like black and dark brown/burgundy. Light leather jackets fit too niche of a fit. If I buy something that expensive, I want it to be versatile as fuck.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Light leather jackets are awesome - and not just because they're more seasonal than dark, they look great in colder weather too with dark denim and a scarf. Are they more versatile than black leather? Def not. But by that standard, we'd have pretty small and depressing closets.

Sorry I don't remember you emailing us or calling us to make an appointment to come into the office. If we dropped the ball, I apologize. For the sake of clarity, we do not have a store in NYC and do not allow walk-ins. We have our office/warehouse here and are happy to organize customer visits by appointment

1 person likes this.
  19. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Noodles: email Greg next time you are in town. He could not have been more welcoming or pleasant to talk to.

I'm still in NYC. The weather here has been hot in the day but not oppressively so, and just wonderfully cool and clear at night. Walked the highline last night, which is highly recommended.

Also tried on this:

[​IMG]

Odd how the right side seems to be a touch shorter than the left. I'm assuming that this is an artifact, so ignore that. Length on the left seems more appropriate. It's a purplish harris tweed, a marled fabric with brown and green perhaps. Quite lovely. The shoulders are more constructed than I would like and the lapels are thinner than ideal as well. Perhaps a touch more open in the quarters. But there are things that I like about it as well.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

You have a dropped left shoulder, hence the extra length. Lapels would be a killer for me, especially for tweed.

1 person likes this.