1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply, I must have missed this one. Last preference is rather a personal thing, I think, but my favourite C&J's are my Audleys on the 337 last. They only come in the rather narrow E fitting, I believe. But I do feel they are a bit more elegant than the others. This is nitpicking of course, because they're all fine shoes, but I think C&J's can sometimes look a little bit clunky compared to e.g. E.G or G.G. [​IMG]

The shade of brown of those Barrington's looks perfect to me for combining with lighter suits, but then my personal preference is for lighter shoes than the SF 'rules' would deem acceptable...

1 person likes this.
  2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

At The Wing lounge, HK Chek Lap Kok airport, partaking of a martini (Gordon's, straight up, stirred, twist). Just involved in a near miss between our passenger ferry-bus and some random giant aircraft out on the tarmac. Very odd - our bus came to a full halt at the line, waited patiently, and then suddenly decided to launch an apparent reverse-Kamikazi manoeuvre on the Boeing's front wheel. Fortunately called off the exercise at the last moment.

Aircraft also came to an unscheduled halt. I wonder how much that costs in wasted jet fuel? I wouldn't want to be that bus driver right now.

OK, back on topic:

- I passed on the SuitSupply dove-egg-blue 3pc suit. (Dove eggs are blue, right? Or is it iguana eggs? I forget.)
    - Booked my first consultation with Joe Ha (Aussie B&Tailor rep) for Monday week. Oh, I'm all weak at the knees now.

1 person likes this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Are you going for the brown Drapers silk-wool-linen in a peak lapel, as planned?

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I think so. It would really fill a gap in my wardrobe. And I'm leaning these days more and more towards suits as my personal style.

Clags, I will certainly one day post some photos of fits that demonstrate where I'd like to be, as you suggested. Just haven't got 'round to it yet.

5. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

B&Tailor would fill so many gaps in my wardrobe.

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

@Cleav is correct. #1 fo sho.

7. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I always said, that Seajen he knows d'stuff! :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  8. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

For Mr. Cleaver.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Wah dank yer honey!

1 person likes this.
  10. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Pictures of street parties with flag bunting always remind me of the silver Jubilee...I won the fancy dress competition at ours wearing a guard's uniform with bearskin hat.

Unfortunately expressions of national pride and the union jack became synonymous with fascists and xenophobes for most of the following 20 years. I get a sense that this is no longer the case.
    Odd how an innocuous photo can remind one of so much.

11. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Yeah SJ, Silver Jubilee does spring to mind but then again I didn't win anything!

I suppose the Union Jack was lost to xenophobia but has been reclaimed quite rightly by the great and the good!

1 person likes this.
  12. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Glad you confirmed that, Cleav. It was a sorry contrast to the overwhelming pride seen in the US for the stars and stripes when I moved out here. I could never imagine flying the Jack on my house in the UK, but here...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Claghorn

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

It's sad that when I see that, the first thing that comes to mind is Gareth Bale.

3 people like this.
  15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

And here it is in the flesh. Some of the flowers are a little pinkish, which I'm OK with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Gennych gwaed Cymru, Clags? Fy gyn-wraig oedd Cymraeg iaith gyntaf.

17. Claghorn

Grandparents. Apropos to a conversation with Cleav.

18. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

In this thread of non-sequiturs, the raising of any flag is apropos providing it isn't in the form of a tie, which would fail to be within the remit of "advice," good natured or otherwise. Have you been to Wales?

19. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

What?!!
    Is this for real? The Union Jack was associated with xenophobia???
    In America, our flag is flown with pride. It is pretty awesome to see how respectful Americans are of the flag.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  20. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the starz n stripez can also be used as a a blunt instrument to dispense with any notion of reasonable discussion. Not egg-zackly what our forefathers had in mind methinks.

Happy to be an American in USA//do not suffer patriotic fools gladly.

Religion anyone?

1 person likes this.