1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

A couple of nice Capellis:

[​IMG]

(DonCologne posted the above tie as part of a fit recently. It has a smoother finish in Don's photos than here)

[​IMG]

My Henry Carter wool tie. I think Clags has this one. Possibly some other SFers as well.

[​IMG]

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Brown neat is the perfect tie. I have four, one from NMWA, two from Henry Carter, and one from Howard Yount.

Stitchy, that first tie Vanda? It's amazing.

Also, Cox, you visiting B&T when theyre in Straya?

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I'd like to. Can you PM me the details? They don't have anything about it on their website.

Edit: Found something about it on their tumblr. "Appointments in Sydney from 1st June." Well waddya waddya, I happen to be in town just then.

I really do like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just imagining that fabric, same basic cut of suit, but with peak lapels. [​IMG]

Damn, yes.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Pbayvip

Pbayvip Well-Known Member

5. Delands

Delands Active Member

Hello StyleForum,

I have been reading along for some time and now it's time for my first post.

I am looking for some advice and I hope that this is the right place for it. If not, feel free to move it around or redirect me to the correct place.

I am attending a friend's wedding (the evening dinner) early July and am looking for a suit (preferably a 3 piece). The dress code is cocktail, which means suit and tie here in Belgium. I've been looking around the SuitSupply website, since I already own some of their suits and they fit me pretty well OTR. I came across the following suits:

[​IMG] http://eu.suitsupply.com/nl_BE/suit...refn2=color&prefv2=Grijs&prefv1=Spring/Summer
    [​IMG]http://eu.suitsupply.com/nl_BE/suit...refn2=color&prefv2=Grijs&prefv1=Spring/Summer

My question is now what the level of formality is of a windowpane suit? Is this formal enough for a wedding? Especially the second one might be too busy? Or should I just stick to basics and go with a solid navy or charcoal?

Thank you in advance already and I hope to be able to participate to this thread and the forum regularly.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

There are several wedding threads, but generally, I would avoid such a loud suit. You shouldnt do anything to draw attention from the wedding party.

2 people like this.
  7. Delands

Delands Active Member

Waw, lightning fast response!

Thank you for the advice. I will stick to a solid navy or charcoal suit.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Also, as it's an evening event, I'd go darker: the obvious would be a plain navy suit, charcoal perhaps, and if you want a pattern then possibly a pinstripe. But plain navy wins. For most things.

9. Pbayvip

Pbayvip Well-Known Member

Also, please wear socks :)

10. Delands

Delands Active Member

Thank you for chiming in Mimo. I can go plain navy and I have the beautiful ConradWu POW tie to go with it.

On a side note: I always thought that pinstripe was more a "business pattern". Is it acceptable outside the business world as well?

1 person likes this.
  11. Delands

Delands Active Member

Of course :).

I'm a fan of going sockless when dressed casually in the summer, but never with a suit.

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It is very business-y, but a fine pinstripe is subtle enough I think. A chalk stripe I'd definitely keep for pounding the boardroom table and shouting "greed is good". I love that. Then I go outside and get into my rented Hyundai and everyone think's I'm a dick. But it's worth it for that moment.

4 people like this.
  13. Delands

Delands Active Member

This made me laugh [​IMG]

I think I get the difference now. So basically something that resolves to a solid from a distance is fine and stay away from the larger chalk stripes. Thanks Mimo!

1 person likes this.
  14. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

:D

Made me spill my tea.

15. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

my man. i think i only have 2. :(

yeah i thought you might like that. i thought you would like the fact that i got stripes in general, i know you are a fran.

16. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

I wish I would've had that line at the car dealership last week :lol:

I like this talk of Brown Neats, I need some of these in my life. I'm finally catching up from my vacation expenses so some of these may be in my future.

PS thanks for the clarification on the sunglasses Rudal, I completely missed the idea that it may be a reflection and thought it was a new style of lenses which incorporate a top shade element like wind-shields. Thankfully I was completely wrong.

17. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

18. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

"Length measurement is taken from base of the buckle tongue to the second hole"

1 person likes this.
  19. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Rudals the way that Equus recommends measuring is from the base of the buckle (i.e. where the leather stops) to the hole that you use to fasten it. Take that measurement and add two inches for belt size.

1 person likes this.
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But having checked the websites of many of the usual suspects it seems like blue and burgundy account for about 90% of what’s available. Hence my question. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: May 19, 2014