1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. LAluck5

LAluck5 Well-Known Member

I guess I have this picture in my head that it is a dark green, but I see your point.

2. ThomGault

ThomGault Well-Known Member

Quote:Well, really, its a continuum. If you're concerned about price instead of quality, you can get a Lauren by Ralph Lauren suit at Macy's on sale for $100. If you want to go to the other end of the spectrum, you can pay a few thousand for a better suit (material, workmanship, etc.) Everything in between is a tradeoff. After alteration costs are evaluated, the total cost of the Macy's suit is probably roughly $150. Is Suit Supply at whatever price you paid ($400 is the cheapest suit I saw) for your suit a better deal than a Macy's suit? I don't know---I've never handled Suit Supply products. But I know that Brooks Brothers' lowest line of suits can be had for under $500. I haven't handled those suits either, but I'd readily guess that the BB quality is better, plus I can actually go to a local store to try on the suit and get free alterations, too. To me, those features are worth much more than the few dollars I might save at Suit Supply. Furthermore, if one is willing to spend a couple hundred more, one quickly moves into nicer fabrics and far better tailoring. E.g., I purchased a MTM fully canvassed and customized suit from a local haberdasher with decent Holland and Sherry fabric for $700 a couple years ago. Again, it costs more than a Suit Supply, but the product is exponentially better, too.

When I shop for an item (not just clothing), depending on my needs I pick either the best price, the best value, or the best quality. Suit Supply doesn't seem to match any of these criteria when compared to alternate brands. Additionally, I don't really care for their business model. Fit is the most important aspect of tailored clothing, and selling clothing over the internet doesn't create an environment where fit is paramount; instead, it puts convenience first. It might not be polite to say, but that's the reason why I look down on Suit Supply---the business is designed to promote convenience over fit (the most important aspect of clothing) and they don't provide the best price, best value, or best quality. But that's my opinion, and obviously some people with disagree with me.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Claghorn's comment about fit being first in RTW I think about sums it. I would take a good-fitting SS over a.less-good fitting Formosa any day (as apparently would Noodles after spending $5k on the latter). Who cares about hand work in something that won't fit? Fwiw I'd totally buy Sienna's or Jorts if I wasn't fairly dialed in with KW at the same price.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Man, if I was at an SS an an associate talked down at me, I don't know what I would do. I might call him out because it seems to be widespread enough that it could be part of their training ("negging" customers). I might roll my eyes and start with "listen, honey..."and be all condescending right back at him. I might politely disagree with him and tell him why he is wrong.

It depends on my mood, his demeanor, and what I am wearing.

---
    Excellent summary, Mr.Six

---
    SuSu Hudson fits me very well. SM has locked in my MTM fit. Whenever I go to Korea, I'll be adding to my BnTailor collection.

I have no issue jumping between these three.
    ---

I haven't come across a better bang for buck proposition than SuSu, including Brooks Brothers cheaper lines. In addition, their logistics are out of this world. Startlingly fast shipping and free returns with pick-up, so trying jackets on and returning them isn't a tremendous hassle (I've done it twice), though it definitely isn't as easy as walking into a store.

Only been to a store once and didn't have a great experience (associate joked condescendingly about my wife taking me shopping to pick out my clothes as part of his greeting, I replied "hello, we don't need your help thank you")

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    3 people like this.
  5. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Susu value really is unbeatable for RTW.

6. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

I had this tie but didn't care for it - something about the shade of green combined with the red was off-putting. Your milage may vary though.

7. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

I like SuSu and recently picked up two linen Havana's that I'm quite happy with. SuSu makes the whole process really easy and for someone who lives where bricks and mortar shops are generally terrible both the product and user experience are quite attractive.

8. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

Yup that's my feeling too. Also Noodles seemed content to spend a LOT of money on some very conservative (boring) suits. A few internet nerds giving it close examination may have noticed the hand stitching or done the pinch test to see the extent of canvassing but to 99.99% of the public he looked like a white collar drone in a navy or gray suit, the same effect could be achieved at a fraction of the price and with a fair chance of a better fit than what he was getting.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I cannot find any pictures of the green tie, but here's the navy version with a worsted suit:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Academic2

Agreed, so far as value is concerned.

It needs to be kept in mind, however, that not everyone is happy with SS’s styling decisions.

Some of SS’s odd choices in that respect have been discussed at length both here and over on the dedicated SS thread, so I’ll only mention one of my own issues here.

I really don’t like the pleated shoulders, which seem incongruous in certain models and fabrics (it doesn't bother me as much in casual summer linen or linen blend jackets). I’m thinking Jort for example, a full-canvass model with more structure than is typical for SS. Also, to a lesser extent, the Hudson.

Since the pleating is done by hand, however, how obvious it is varies greatly from one jacket to the next. This is one great advantage to the brick-and-mortar stores: one can examine the actual jacket.

Cheers,

Ac

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I also have this, as does @WillingToLearn; it is an excellent tie. --- SS has some questionable styling choices, and their fabrics probably miss twice as often as they hit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  13. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

yes it is, and although i don't reach for it with a worsted suit, that is not because it doesn't work, i just have some others that i prefer. Great with a green jacket

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

SuitSupply's trouser rise is the sticking point for me.

4 people like this.
  15. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

I do find rise on Jort/La Spalla to be decent.

Anyone knows which of the "non-premium" models have higher rise?

16. Academic2

Good point. It's one reason why I'm considering trying their "Design Your Own Suit" option at some point.

Cheers,

Ac

17. sugarbutch

Interesting. I didn't realize rise was one of the sliders to adjust with that option. I've been contemplating upgrading my tuxedo (which is fine in every aspect except that I bought it before I knew that a notch lapel was a sub-optimal style), and SuSu's look like a good value.

18. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

The DYO option doesn't give many style or construction choices though. No Hudson, sienna, or jort, which are the three cuts that fit me. There's also not enough info in the fabric (e.g. weight)

NS1: I also have have that tie and think it's great.

19. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

Too low?
    I recently got those light gray heavy SS flannels that a few of the lads have displayed in pics on here and they may have close to the highest rise trousers I currently own!

20. sugarbutch

Yes, too low on all of the trousers I've seen in person.

1 person likes this.