1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I know that my taste can surely be seen as anachronistic to some, but I have a good eye for what's more timeless and what's quite contemporary as well. Some of those fabrics are definitely in the latter categories. Those chalk stripes for example, are always pretty safe bets. Some of the windowpanes look stylistically moderate. Rustic checks have been all the rage with the #menswear crowd the last couple of years, but that may not be a selling argument for you I guess :D

2. Deo Veritas

Deo Veritas Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Been using it a year so far and no trouble, so I guess it was designed for it.

Here's something I found for travel: Steamfast home and away iron
    What do you guys think?

3. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

It's been quite sometime since I've stayed in a hotel that didn't have and iron and board in the room adequate to my purposes. I simply need to pack a pressing cloth.

Cheers,

Ac

4. Deo Veritas

Deo Veritas Well-Known Member

Same here! But a few times I happen to use an airBnB and it was odd to see an iron missing there. North America is pretty good with providing an iron, but throughout some parts of Europe you may have to call the concierge to get one.

Most of the irons are not great and can stain a shirt, so a cloth is a useful item to take along.

5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

Sid Mashburn is what you want.

6. zr3rs

zr3rs Well-Known Member

They are from Fox Brother´s Instagram, supposedly from the 1940 collection. I guess you can reach out to Douglas Cordeaux to vote for your favourite being remade.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Well-Known Member

+1 gotta take some risks some times

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Well-Known Member

I really like the POW with bottle green overcheck. It would match very well my (dream) dark green bespoke Corthay's. Just the Arca, no need of flamboyance.

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I find this improbable.

Tap water has many dissolved ions, which can precipitate as their concentration rises (due to the water being boiled off), resulting in the deposition of scale which will eventually compromise the function of the boiler and iron in various ways.

Demineralised water OTOH remains demineralised as the water boils off. Being pH-neutral, that water would have little to no corrosive effect (unless the inside of the boiler is iron, which is unlikely. Most boilers are stainless steel or brass for this reason).

Furthermore, any corrosive effect on the inner surface of the boiler chamber would be roughly the same, regardless of the presence or absence of dissolved ionic metals.

I stand ready to be corrected on the fundamentals of this reasoning.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  12. Jay Suave

Jay Suave Well-Known Member

Have you checked your manual or consulted a web resource? This is what mine says:
    [​IMG]

For those who are really interested, here's more info on the subject:
    http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quilting-2/four-myths-regarding-iron-water/

13. AdidaSuit

AdidaSuit Active Member

Where do people go for good nature advice now?

14. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

3 people like this.
  15. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Here.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  16. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

I also use a Rowenta, but instead of filling up the reservoir, I find that just spraying the shirt with distilled water in one of these works great and eliminates any concern about "ruining" the iron.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  17. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

This thread still running? Did Noodles bite the dust for good? One of the crazy 88's moved on to very green pastures?

Haven't been active for awhile. Been self-studying for an exam which is taking up my free time.

I have a nice unworn HC tie that I was going to give away. Jason sent me a replacement for it because it had a slight pull, and told me to keep the first one he sent. Any up and comers in this thread in need of a staple?

I didn't take a picture but it's this one I found on Google

Would prefer it go to someone who is an existing part of the community who doesn't have a big collection. Maybe between 25 and 100 posts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

The HC got claimed in the RTP thread. Here's another one I'm offering up for free (cover shipping)

Up for grabs to same kind of members mentioned above. Turnbull and Asser

Let's try and find another member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

It definitely has died since Noods got the axe. Nice ties. If I didn't have too many already (in need of my own purge) I'd happily snap that one up.