1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

A nice pebble grain derby with a rubber sole is a great all-around travel shoe. They have been a favorite for me since the early 90's. My suggestion is to select one that is somewhat light weight. A few makers use a heavy/dense Dianite or Vibram type sole that adds considerable weight to the overall shoe. That is great for some needs but for maximum comfort and versatility I go for a lighter weight Dianite or Vibram style especially for a Spring trip.

Don't rule out suede. I've never traveled with a suede brush or been concerned about them getting wet or spotted any more than regular leather. Just spray suede shoes with a waterproofing when new and wear them everyday. If they get wet, let them air dry. I travel in winter to multiple climates with suede shoes.

If you ever watch Anthony Bourdain you'll notice that his only shoe on many of his trips is a pair of light colored suede Clark's desert boots. They are a bit more casual but certainly comfortable when you get them sized right for a good fit.

1 person likes this.
  2. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

I wear Clark's desert boots all the time as my all-weather/beater casual shoe, and believe I've heard @Murlsquirl say he does as well. And maybe there are better versions than the $70 pair I tend to find at Nordstrom Rack, but I've never found them to be comfortable if I'm going to be doing a considerable amount of walking - lack of arch support maybe?

When I went to Japan last spring I wore my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots the entire time. And although 12 days of walking will put the hurt on your dogs no matter what, I thought they were great for the purpose: well broken in already so no blisters and good on the comfort scale, they don't really hold onto odor, and I didn't care what was spilled on them, any marks they might get, or whether they got rained on, which they did.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

Clark's dessies are indeed a confortable option but as you say no arch support is not good for those of us with high arches and crepe soles are rubbish on rainy slick surfaces.
    I've recently got a pair of Chelseas with rubber soles and reckon they might be the best option for an all round travel shoe that can be worn all day, dressed up or down.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

If a shoe is comfortable in all other respects, it's easy enough to add an insole if more support or cushioning is wanted.

I do it all the time.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  5. smittycl

smittycl Well-Known Member

Big fan of Allen Edmonds boots. Both Dalton and First Avenue are solid and can be both casual and dressy. I can walk in them all day.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deo Veritas

Deo Veritas Well-Known Member

Those cobblestone streets can definitely put a hurt on your feet, and shoes as sometimes you can't get a sure-footed grip. Especially with leather soles. I had a lot of trouble walking around Florence and something with rubber would've been much better.

If you're in the mood to buy locally, Maninna, Mario Bemer and Stefano Bemer are great to check out.

Besides Abbarchi, there's also Leonardo Bugelli.

Cheers,
    Andre

2 people like this.
  7. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I like chukkas for travel shoes as well (not just clarks). I find them quite versatile. I can get away from jeans to suits. I prefer the rubber sole in case it rains or snows or is slipper some other way where I am going.

1 person likes this.
  8. Marsay

Marsay Well-Known Member

Clarks Desert Troopers have a lug sole if you can find them.

1 person likes this.
  9. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

I have developed a very strong preference for rubber, primarily Danite, on all shoes other than loafers and the dressiest of dress shoes. Derbies, chukka, NSTs, all get purchased with Danite these days.

2 people like this.
  10. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

11. Deo Veritas

I'm looking at some Meermin Boots and noticed they have ridgeway soles. Anyone have experience with those?

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Meermin's are decent shoes for the price, and I'll happily recommend them to the budget conscious, but man do they take a while to break in.

2 people like this.
  13. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

depending on how one values suffering, and the cost of torn up feet, it is well worth the step up to Carmina, ime.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Back to the travel shoe question for a moment. Can't emphasis enough the folly of taking brand new shoes on a trip. What ever you decide, buy them and wear them in all kinds of weather to break them in and to be sure they work in a variety of circumstances.

I find that most shoes take a month or more to be fully broken in, or enough to consider taking on a trip. My own personal theory is that leather shoes are never fully broken in until they have been worn in the rain and the sole and seams allowed to get fairly saturated with water. I find this to be true with Lobb, EG's, C&J and others.

4 people like this.
  15. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

I just received some dark burgundy Chelseas with slim rubber lugged soles made of horsehide from Epaulet. In the details blurb they say that they require minimal break in and I believe they're true to their word. I've been wearing mine around the house the last couple of days and they feel ridiculously comfortable out of the box. The idea was for them to be my daily beaters for travel in general and in particular for an upcoming trip back home during which I expect to be doing a lot of walking and will appreciate their versatility.

Another technique with brand new shoes is to wear them in bed. Yeah I said it! If you're scared of messing up the sheets then wear an old pair of socks over the top but this way the shoes have a chance to mould to your feet for approx eight hours without any pressure from walking and if they still don't feel right then you can return them in brand new condition. I'm not gonna say I've done this often but I'm not gonna deny I've never done it in the past.

1 person likes this.
  16. Deo Veritas

Agreed. You're not the first person that has mentioned the ridiculously long break-in time for Meermin's.

I have a pair of hand welted loafers, and they seem way comfortable right off the bat as compared to Goodyear welted. Anyone with similar experiences?

17. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Hey folks, any thoughts/recommendations on a good iron/laundry board? I don't need the absolute top of the line, but I'm willing to pay an amount roughly commensurate to a year or so of laundry service.

I'm too much of a control freak to have my shirts laundered in a way that isn't just so, and would rather take the bit of time to learn and do it myself.

18. Deo Veritas

Hey there,

I personally use an iron from Reliable Corporation. I find it very easy to iron with, and has excellent steam. They've got a few more professional series ones available too but at a cost. Not sure about a board though, I have a regular one from Walmart or Ikea I believe.

Here's a review: http://www.thehogtownrake.com/?p=1930

Cheers,
    Andre

19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks Andre. Will give it a look. I think my focus is more on finding a quality iron, with the import of the actual board being secondary...mainly because I'm a total ignoramus on the matter and have no idea if there is any utility to higher cost boards...thus my venturing over here ha.

Appreciate the link for the review [​IMG]

20. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I could use a new ironing board. Looking forward to recommendations of something solid, good padding but fairly easy to fold up.